Mardi Gras in Galveston

Lisab733

Has anyone attended "Mardi Gras in Galveston" before? :confused: We are driving down to Galveston a couple of days before our cruise on Feb 11th. I was researching parking options on galveston.com when I noticed there will be a Mardi Gras parade, festivites, etc. The parades are scheduled to march down Seawall Blvd (happens to be where our hotel is) on Saturday and was wondering if you can see them from any of the hotels. We are very excited....:D

As the previous poster said, Galveston's Mardi Gras celebration is lots of fun and typically more "tame" than the NO version. It gets bigger and more elaborate every year. We especially like the Saturday night parade down the seawall. Most hotels/motels located on Seawall Blvd. should have a view - or should be near enough to the parade route to walk to see it. I think the parade only goes as far west as 61st street - at least that was the situation when we last went to that parade a couple of years ago. For the last couple of years, we have been part of a group throwing beads from the balconies on the Strand for the parade in that area the next week-end. Trust me, you see some sights when you are being "begged" for beads!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My friend and I will be in Galveston on Friday night, February 16th...can anyone tell me if Mardi Gras is still going on then and what I can expect of it? We are staying at either the Best Western 5914 Seawall Blvd or the Comfort Suites 6302 Seawall Blvd. If there is a parade going on that night - can we see it from our room? This sounds like a really fun pre-cruise evening!!

Thanking you in advance for your time.

My friend and I will be in Galveston on Friday night, February 16th...can anyone tell me if Mardi Gras is still going on then and what I can expect of it? We are staying at either the Best Western 5914 Seawall Blvd or the Comfort Suites 6302 Seawall Blvd. If there is a parade going on that night - can we see it from our room? This sounds like a really fun pre-cruise evening!!

Thanking you in advance for your time.

Party Prior To Lent - Texas Style

Thanks to tightlinerods for the above info, much of it will be helpful to Vellamint. EXCEPT that it is for 2006 Mardi Gras, and they and the OP are referring to 2007.

The link from petel is good. Even better is Galveston.com, they'll have the schedules and they have a webcam (Harbor House) which shows the cruise ships at the terminal.

We're sailing this February, too. And we always enjoy sailing out of Galveston!

Archived