Scared about water going down the snorkeling tube

anne13

I am so interested in snorkeling, but I am a scaredy cat when it comes to this stupid fear I have.... Since I am new to this, I need some help....

Can I float on the surface of the water and just see things? Or, do I have to go deep down to see stuff? Sometimes I see pictures of people snorkeling, not scuba diving, and they only have a mask with a breathing snorkeling tube and go several feet below the surface of the water.

What happens when water from waves or another person splashing gets into the tube which is in your mouth? :eek:

I keep thinking I'm going to inhale thd water and start choking! Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle....

Also, what do you do when your mask fills with water? I heard you are supposed to blow bubbles out of your nose, but if you can't stand up with your feet on the sand, how do you do that?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I need some expert help. I am cruising to Aruba and Curacao in about two weeks. Any special places which are good to lie on a beach but also do some simple snorkeling for a beginner?

Thank you in advance!

first thing i would reccomend is to get a mask and snorkle and go to a pool and try to breath through the snorkle. slow breaths and relax. next go underwater and the snorkle will flood when u surface just blow through you mouth to clear the snorkle, take a slow breath( just in case it still has water in it ) option 2, get what is called a dry snorkle, those have little floats in them to prevent water from flooding the snorkle a lot easier!!!

now the mask...if and when it floods....look up push gently on the top of the mask at your forhead and blow your nose, gravity will do the rest.:D

relax and take slow deep breaths and you will do fine enjoy your self...and let me know how it goes!!:)

I have to agree with everything Foneguy said!

My eight year old has been snorkeling since she was 4 in the ocean. Before our trip to Hawaii when she was four, I started her off in the bath tub. She practiced a couple of times in the tub. Then once it was warm enough for the pool, we practiced a couple of times in the pool.

One thing I have done to make sure it is enjoyable for her (she is only eight now): I did purchase a snorkel for her like the one Foneguy describes. It doesn't allow water to come down from the top of the snorkel. It has a special valve to prevent the water from entering the snorkel.

Trust me, you can do it! :D

I also echo foneguy.... He has great info. I dive and snorkel but was scared when I first started. I, as an adult, practiced in the bath tub.. Was not a pretty site...lol.... I use a dry snorkel but have used the others too. You can be a "float" only snorkeler. Meaning you don't go down under the water. When they do that, they become free divers. And you really should have some instruction before doing that... But when you go under water, your holding your breath for "so" many seconds. As you come up, your exhaling that breath slowly and thus as you come to the surface, you exhale any water. But also breath slowly to double check it. I put my tongue over the tube area while breathing so I know versus inhaling a tube full of water and choking. Then blow out real hard thus blowing out the water....

I don't where you live but most dive shops will also give snorkeling lessons. And you can practice in a pool....

Have fun.....

To all my snorkeling life savers :) :

Once I get my equipment and practice, can anyone recommend a beach in Aruba and Curacao which would be appropriate for me to try to "beginner snorkel" and also just spend time relaxing? I would prefer not to visit two separate beaches.

Also, do I have to buy a dry snorkel? We are a family and will be cruising. Since this is my first experience with snorkeling, can I rent these dry snorkels at a beach and try them out or do I need to make the monetary commitment and buy them now? I live in the midwest and there are no bodies of water around here, except pools.

Thanks again for all your advice.

I would also recommend buying your own snorkel... Most of the time the ones rented are the cheapest type snorkels you can get. There is no purge valve on them nor a float for that matter.

Best way to have a good time is buy a mask that FITS your face. There is nothing worse then having to always clear your mask.

It really is a small investment that can be used over and over and over again.

LOVE those free swimming fishes....:D

To all my snorkeling life savers :) :

Also, do I have to buy a dry snorkel? We are a family and will be cruising. Since this is my first experience with snorkeling, can I rent these dry snorkels at a beach and try them out or do I need to make the monetary commitment and buy them now?.

Thanks again for all your advice.

i dont think the beaches rent the dry snorkles...try this,,,,,look up a scuba club in your area and go to a meeting and you may find what you are looking for.....im in the midwest also in cleveland area, our scuba club uses a local indoor pool at the ymca....

• 2 weeks later...

I have been snorkeling since I was a young child and don't remember learning, really, but my husband is a fairly new snorkeler (though he's gotten better on the last couple of trips). He still cannot get the hang of blowing the water out of his snorkel when he dives down, so for the first couple of trips, he just didn't go under. Now, he's getting a little more adventerous and is trying to dive down more. He still cannot spit enough water out of his snorkel (next time he will get one with a purge valve!) so he comes upt to the surface, lifts his face out of the water, takes his snorkel out of his mouth and just dumps the water out, reinserts and he's going again. SIMPLE. We totally agree on buying and using your own mask and snorkel. It has made snorkeling even more enjoyable (if that is possible!).

i dont think the beaches rent the dry snorkles...try this,,,,,look up a scuba club in your area and go to a meeting and you may find what you are looking for.....im in the midwest also in cleveland area, our scuba club uses a local indoor pool at the ymca....
Yup ... many dive shops have pools and will let you try out equipment .... also this time of year they often have sales, or clearance racks, so you might find a nice mask and snorkel discounted ....

And I will say, when I first started snorkeling - my Oceanmaster dry snorkel was the best investment I made!! It was a pricey model back then (5+ years ago), but worth very penny!!

I would invest in the dry snorkle. I just bought three for the rest of my family, even though they do fine with the regular ones. It's a slow time of year, so a local dive shop may let you rent a snorkle kit for the length of your vacation. Mine offered to, but I went ahead and bought them as I know we'll use them several times. If they'll let you rent, ask about a purging mask. If you get water in it, you just blow out your nose and it clears the water. It won't work to clear fogging of the mask, but it's what my son and I use to dive with and we love them. Also, you will be given a snorkle vest or other flotation device, so you'll be able to clear your mask easily when you can't touch. You'll do great.

Everyone has about said all you need to know except that you can float in relatively shallow water and see alot of (smaller) fish if you go out from the beach in a snorkling area where there nooks and crannies for the fish to hide in. If you do a HAL/Carnival cruise to Half Moon Cay there is artificial structure straight out from the kiddie park halfway to the rope line with 4 dozen species found in 4 - 10 ft of water. You can also take packs of soda crackers to chum the fish, but do this away from a crowd of folks.

Can I float on the surface of the water and just see things? Or, do I have to go deep down to see stuff? Sometimes I see pictures of people snorkeling, not scuba diving, and they only have a mask with a breathing snorkeling tube and go several feet below the surface of the water.

Archived