Dog Sled/Cart Rides

GradSchoolCruiser

Hi! We're considering a Dog sled/cart ride next summer. Could any one comment/compare the Seavey's sled dog tour and ride (Seward) with the cart rides at Caribou Crossing? I'm having trouble finding details (price, schedule, etc.) about the Caribou Crossing option.

The details of the Caribou Crossing cart ride are at http://www.yukonhuskies.com/kennel_tours.html

I haven't been on Seavey's so can't compare them.

Murray

We have done both the Skagway Dog Musher's Camp excursion, and the cart rides at Caribou Crossing. Both of them are great!! You can see pics of both of them at our cruising page, below. The Skagway Camp was from our Sapphire Princess cruise, and the Caribou Crossing camp from Zuiderdam.

The Caribou Crossing one is cheaper, but of course you have to get there! The question simply is -- do you want to drive over the White Pass to Caribou Crossing, a wonderful and scenic trip? Or do you want to spend less time getting to the camp, and possibly have time for the Yellow Street Cars or something else in Skagway?

My personal recommendation, for a first time trip to Alaska, would be to drive the White Pass to Caribou Crossing. But you need to figure what is right for you.

Email if you would like a more detailed discussion. Email addy is on the web page.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We have done both the Skagway Dog Musher's Camp excursion, and the cart rides at Caribou Crossing. Both of them are great!! You can see pics of both of them at our cruising page, below. The Skagway Camp was from our Sapphire Princess cruise, and the Caribou Crossing camp from Zuiderdam.

The Caribou Crossing one is cheaper, but of course you have to get there! The question simply is -- do you want to drive over the White Pass to Caribou Crossing, a wonderful and scenic trip? Or do you want to spend less time getting to the camp, and possibly have time for the Yellow Street Cars or something else in Skagway?

My personal recommendation, for a first time trip to Alaska, would be to drive the White Pass to Caribou Crossing. But you need to figure what is right for you.

Email if you would like a more detailed discussion. Email addy is on the web page.

Have a GREAT cruise!

They are asking about Seavey's in Seward. You also do not drive the White Pass- that is the rail route on the other side of the valley. It's the Klondike Highway, you have also referred to this as the Yukon Highway which isn't correct.

Yes, I am aware there is some common areas of the White Pass. I am replying based on a railfan priority, :) of which the White Pass is the rail bed. :) There are so many posts that the South Klondike Highway and White Pass RR are the "same" that for me, there are many more differences with the routes.

Yes, I am aware there is some common areas of the White Pass. I am replying based on a railfan priority, :) of which the White Pass is the rail bed. :) There are so many posts that the South Klondike Highway and White Pass RR are the "same" that for me, there are many more differences with the routes.

UMMM -- when I was taking geography, a "pass" was a route through the mountains. I have never heard a rail bed referred to as a pass all by itself! I think a rail bed or route goes THROUGH a Pass, and also a Highway goes through a Pass! Has geography changed since I studied it???

If you think the "view" of the White Pass from the rail route which goes through it is somehow better than the view of the White Pass from the highway that goes through it, then go ahead and post that. But you can't claim the White Pass belongs to the railroad!

;)

OK, This may sound like spliting hairs but we will come to a pretty pass whichever way we travel. You will see that the train does indeed go over a pass at a slightly lower elevatation than the pass just to the west of there where THE Road goes over at just shy of 3300 feet, and that pass, in the modern era is now known as the Klondike Pass. I won't go into history about how all of this came to pass but for you avid history buffs, it can be an interesting insight on the power of the railroad interests in the era of the Klondike Gold Rush!?!

For the quick answer on this and many other factoids re. this area, be sure to stop in at the Klondike Gold Rush National Park visitors center which is just a short walk from any cruise ship dock and is all free to the public! DD

Archived