San Diego

vantec

I've been reading this board for several months, and it's been very helpful. My husband and I have been on 4 cruises, our 5th Cruise will be January 10th on the Spirit out of San Diego (our first Carnival cruise). My question is: since we are flying into San Diego on the 9th, does anyone know if we can check in very early on the 10th and then go sight-seeing? We will be staying at the Hampton Inn across the street from the pier and would like to be able to get rid of luggage and walk around San Diego. We realize we could probably leave our luggage at the Hampton Inn, but would prefer just to have it on the boat and not have to think about it. Thanks for your input.

Being from San Diego, let me be the first to say WELCOME to my home.... its a beautiful city with lots and lots to see. Just walking along the pier is great, and a short walk is a place called Seaport Village. Loads of neat little shops and a GREAT view of the Harbor and boats.

I cant answer your question about checking in and leaving the baggage, but could give all kinds of other info on the city itself. Born and Raised here.:)

You won't be able to check in until late morning/early afternoon. I run by there all the time and last week there were still people getting off the ship around 11:00. The people waiting to check will literally be standing on the sidewalk waiting for check in to open.

Your best bet is to store your bags at the hotel and enjoy the city.

Thanks for your offer - we have been to San Diego many times and love it! That was one of the reasons we liked the idea of this cruise. We are hoping to spend some time at Coronado Island, since we are not renting a car, what is the easist way to get there?

There is a ferry that runs from the port area (right down from the cruise dock) to Coronado island. There is a little area with shops and restaurants at the ferry landing. From there you could catch a cab to the Hotel Del area or walk if you're so inclined. The walk would be about 2 miles but Orange Ave is full of restaurants and fun shops to browse thru.

Here's link to the ferry schedule: http://www.coronado.ca.us/sd_ferry.asp

We just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Spirit. We went over to the pier to see if we could check our luggage in around 10:15 and then were going to go have breakfast. They were already letting people in the terminal to finish up the processing. We sat for a very short time and then were called to board. I think we were on the ship by 11:15 or 11:30. When we first arrived to the terminal, I thought this is going to be chaotic but it was the smoothest embarkment I have ever had, and so the debarkment. We had reservations to take the noon Amtrak back to San Luis Obispo and were able to get on the 9:30 a.m. train instead. I was very impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a good stay at the Hampton December 7th. Their shuttle from the airport and shuttle to the ship worked very well. The ship is close enough to walk to, but not with luggage. Great breakfast. Some people have complained about noise from the train but it didn't bother us - ask for a "quiet" room at check-in.

Archived