Rental Car issue

HOSKI

Ok, hubby and I no longer have credit cards but most rental car companies require a cc to reserve the car (in case of damages). Does anyone know of a rental car company in NOLA that excepts cash or debit cards for the deposit? I'm freaking out and all the research I've done to date shows we will have to go with one of the more expensive companies to get the debit card accepted.

I looked in the local yellow pages: the only one I could find that says they will accept a cash deposit rather than a credit card is Rainbow Rent-A-Car, a local company. The number listed is 800-955-3234. Good luck.

Is your debit card a "Visa check card"? If so, it should be accepted everywhere the same as a credit card - I use mine that way all the time and have used it for car rentals.

If not, does you bank offer one that way? I had the choice of a "MAC" card or the Visa check card - both take the money right out of your checking account, but the Visa one can be used wherever they take Visa.

It's a Visa logo card but the car companies are stating that if it is a check card (debit) with a cc logo it is not going to be accepted as a cc. It has to do with the hold they put on your card till you return the car and daily limits by the bank. I'm really frustrated by all of this. I thought I could use our card anywhere I use a cc and always have till the rental car issue.

Well I solved the problem by buying online thru hotwire. I used my debit card which they charged now and I chose the debit card option only for rentals so I can use my debit card when picking up the car. It cost me more on my Myrtle Beach rental but in NOLA it worked out the same because we will use the shuttle service verses a taxi.

Archived