Photos/opinions regarding room 6688?

Hi-

I am looking to upgrade to an aft balcony (from inside) on EOS and this room has become available. I have read on these reviews that the view on this deck is more obstructed than on higher decks, but would people who have seen it or been in it recommend it over a side balcony? I saw one thread with some shots posted, but the links wouldn't open for me.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

I went back to the old boards and found a link to Bonnie Voyager's pictures. Maybe this can help you. :) This is a picture of the Mariner, but is the same as the EOS. Deck 6 is the one at the base of the flagpole. The lower deck with side portholes.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/143294508/143361020Ymdnce

Beth

i had the opposite corner (6388) on the mariner. the view is only slightly more obstructed as the balcony dosen't go all the way over to the big porthole. it's seperated by the width of the hallway of the deck below. the obstruction from the superstructure seemed to be the same all the way up.

the deck in front of the balcony is not used for crew breaks. they take their break one deck below. they're very quiet and i never saw more than two people at a time. the only way to see them (or them see you) is to stand at the rail.

the size is very nice. there were two chairs, a table and a lounge, with another four feet to the rail. on the western trip i had sun on the front half every afternoon.

would i take it again? yup

hope this helps,

sly

A couple of years ago, we had friends in both 6688 and 6388 on the Explorer. We visited their rooms and were very curious because we had heard a lot of opinions regarding both of these cabins. While the balconies were considerably larger, there were a couple of support poles in the cabin and on the balcony that would not be in a regular cabin. Not a big issue but a difference that I noted. Another thing that I did notice is that the beds seemed to be more worn (sagging in the middle) that other cabins. Although I am sure that these beds have since been replaced, I speculate that these cabins are most certainly booked on every sailing and therefore might be used more than others???? Also, people who book the larger cabins sometimes end up hosting parties so maybe people end up sitting on the beds thereby causing more wear than others???? Anyway, for whatever reason, 6688 and 6388 were a little more worn than the bedding in other cabins in our group.

Finally, these cabins are located in the very rear of the ship and are a bit of a walk to the nearest elevators. Not an issue for some people but a big issue for others.

Just one person's observations.

When looking at the pictures, there seems to be somewhat of a deck area in front of the cabins on these decks? Am I right to say that when standing by the railing, you are not directly looking down at the water? Make sense?

I've booked 6688 on the VOS. Jimbo had some photos that I couldn't open, but I managed to get the web address.

Here is the first photo:

http://community.webshots.com/s/image4/3/25/71/69832571MZiodD_ph.jpg

Here is the 2nd:

http://community.webshots.com/s/image4/3/25/86/69832586dUpCqo_ph.jpg

They both show the balcony and the deck area in front

I got to them 2 days ago, but can't open them now.

Thanks to all for your replies. I was concerned about the view aft, but if the area behind the cabin is not used then this isn't as big a deal. I am a bit concerned that you are looking through that area to see the water, which isn't an issue on the higher decks. I need to give this some serious consideration....choices. At around $500 US for the upgrade (from an inside) - it's the old debate of whether to spend it on this room or save it for drink and excursion $$! If it was for a higher aft cabin I wouldn't hesitate at this point. Listen to me - "old debate" - this coming from a first time cruiser!...haha

Thanks again

Just back from the Navigator 7/10-7/17, and actually stayed in 6688! I don't know if things are exactly the same, but I think they are....

There were 3 of us in this room (2 adults, one 8 year old). We were a total party of 21, and had other rooms on the 6th deck--inside rooms and outside rooms (6670, 6672). Personally, I thought the outside staterooms were bigger than the aft rooms--at least they were wider, and had a full size couch. On the other hand, the aft room DID have much bigger balconies. Depends on what you want. I didn't spend near enough time on my balcony to make it worth it--I would have preferred an outside room over my aft. My stepmother ate breakfast everyday on her verandah--the aft balcony is terrific for things like that.

Sorry I don't have any pictures--didn't think to take any. Having too much fun doing other stuff!!! This was my first RCI cruise (4th total), but it definitely won't be my last!

Karen

Thanks to all for your replies. I was concerned about the view aft, but if the area behind the cabin is not used then this isn't as big a deal. I am a bit concerned that you are looking through that area to see the water, which isn't an issue on the higher decks......

Thanks again

Newbie:

I have stayed in 7688 on the Explorer twice. (call us weird; we have 7388 on the Voyager next month) We obviously like the aft corner cabins. :D

I respectfully disagree with Slyder. The crew members absolutely DO use that deck. I never experienced them being *noisy* but they are THERE. On the Explorer, the balcony wall is metal, not the transparent plexiglas that you see on the photos linked in BaumD's post, so that's a SLIGHT improvement in the privacy issue, but THEY ARE THERE. They take cigarette breaks there; in the morning, they may put out a little table and a couple of chairs and have breakfast/coffee (all the way up front; NOT back close to your balcony). And it's difficult (if at all possible) to look down to the water from Deck 6 aft.

It's your choice, but if you can find another cabin that you would like, I wouldn't feel compelled to grab 6688 if I were you.

Carol

That's certainly possible, Slyder - I think they did make any number of changes when they built the Navigator and the Mariner.

The Crew accesses that part of Deck 6 from the rear side corners, from that "crew only" staircase that sits next to cabin 7688, and other corner cabins - we used those stairs ONLY for the muster drill. Other than that, passengers are NOT supposed to use it. The crew can walk all the way around the back of Deck 6; I am pretty sure there is a "mirror" set of stairs next to 7388.

On our first muster drill, when we were returning to our cabin afterwards, I mistakenly left the staircase one level too soon, and found myself on this deck. After I realized my mistake, I went back up the stairs one more level and reached "home." LOL

Carol

Since I love aft cabins myself, I want to be sure I understand this correctly. Specifically on the Mariner, is it safe to say the 2 corner aft cabins on each side(E1) on deck 8 has a MUCH better view at the water when standing AT the balcony railing as oppose to the E1 corner aft cabins on deck 6 & 7? That entire area in front of the aft balconies on deck 6 seems real deep, to me it would almost feel as you are not directly facing the wake.

The higher your deck, the better your view, IMO, but you will still have the superstructure to look thru. You, of course, will not look down to the water on any of the decks, its just that that jut out on deck six seems less intrusive.

Archived