Sharing a soda card

Oh yeah, :o I forgot, 'pop' is kind of foreign to some...'cept for us Canucks, eh?? :) My dh's cousin (Canadian), is married to an American, and she even now has the distinct American drawl, but yet she still refers to it as 'pop', so she sounds cute when saying it, it's more like 'pawp'.

Thanks for the info on the Windjammer, I'd best start my little notebook for all the great tips I receive(d) on here even with our 1st cruise.

I was on a course in Vegas once (tough life, I know:D ), and there was a woman from Mississippi on the same course. We started hanging around together, and after just 3 days, I was starting to drawl!:o My co-worker thought I was mocking the American, but not at all! I was just starting to pick it up.;)

1- You were telling the poster We Luv Vacation that, I'm reminding YOU that we all have logs in our eyes, that's all.

2- If you tell your own kids to "MYOB" when they report to you that they see 2 people sharing one buffett plate you better be able to explain why they then should not do it if and when they might do it. Cause they WILL remind you about "that day."

3- It has nothing to do with personal situations or choices, 2 people using one soda card or one buffett admission is wrong and against the rules no matter what!

I don't have to explain to my kids why it is wrong to steal from a buffet. They already know that. What I might have to explain however is why it is not our job to police other people who should know better. At school it's called "tattling" and currently my five year old is keen on pointing out everyone else's misdeeds to the point that the teacher is getting a little testy about the constant reports of broken rules. Thus our efforts to explain the concept of personal accountability and clarify what it is important to report and when he should mind his own business. A tricky line for a five year old to walk.

And the decision to share a soda card, just like breaking any rule IS a matter of personal choice. Meaning, people make a conscious decision to break a rule, NOT that people get to chose what rules to follow. Though of course we know that they do. As I said, people do what they want to do. Right or wrong.

I don't have to explain to my kids why it is wrong to steal from a buffet. They already know that. What I might have to explain however is why it is not our job to police other people who should know better. At school it's called "tattling" and currently my five year old is keen on pointing out everyone else's misdeeds to the point that the teacher is getting a little testy about the constant reports of broken rules. Thus our efforts to explain the concept of personal accountability and clarify what it is important to report and when he should mind his own business. A tricky line for a five year old to walk.

And the decision to share a soda card, just like breaking any rule IS a matter of personal choice. Meaning, people make a conscious decision to break a rule, NOT that people get to chose what rules to follow. Though of course we know that they do. As I said, people do what they want to do. Right or wrong.

So at some future point in time when one of your kids might witness a crime of signifigance they will remember your "MYOB" and not come forward. Sad.

I

<NOTE: THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT THE POSTER QUOTED IN MY REPLY - IT IS A GENERAL OBSERVATION> I'm also curious about how many of the people on this thread who are so vehemently against sharing the card and defending the cruise line's need to make a profit on the soda are the same people who think they should get 5-star service & quality all over the ship although they're paying less per day for a nice room, meals, entertainment, hotel-like amenities, etc., than they would probably pay for just one of those things off the ship. Lots of other things that people on here seem to expect to be included at no extra charge cut into the profit margin and would increase the overall cost to everyone else a lot more than providing fountain soda in the package or at a more reasonable price than $3 a glass or $40 a week (especially given that it is often watered down, the glass is usually full of ice, and each glass is literally pennies to produce in a fountain drink). The added cost to provide fountain soda to everyone is a lot less than the cost to provide lounges, free drinks, free robes or other perks to certain passengers (yet they still do it at the current costs) or better cuts of meat or more lobster in the dining room. Seems to me, the profit margin they're making up on soda goes to cover a lot more than just people who share the card, and the card or per glass fee is more than just a way to make only those who drink soda pay for it.

I wonder how many of these righteous people who wouldn't dream of depriving RCL of their profit margin in soda smuggle booze onboard because the cost of alcohol is to high?:D

I tell you what I cant understand.My son will be nearly 19 when we cruise. He cant have an alcoholic drink because they think he is a child in the US, but yet they will charge him Adult soda card price????????:rolleyes:

In the US, he is considered an adult under the age of 21. Therefore, he cannot legally drink. So, to adult charge for a soda is appropriate.

So at some future point in time when one of your kids might witness a crime of signifigance they will remember your "MYOB" and not come forward. Sad.

Obviously you missed the following line from newcruiser65's post:

"Thus our efforts to explain the concept of personal accountability and clarify what it is important to report and when he should mind his own business."

My daughter also went through a phase where she would report to the teacher every infraction of the rules no matter how minor. Like newcruiser65 I explained to my daughter that although the other children's behavior might be wrong, it is inappropriate to "tattle" on other children who commit MINOR infractions.

From what I've seen in this thread it is obvious that many posters here never received that valuable bit of advice from their parents.

OH ENOUGH ALREADY !!!

Ha ha..Just kidding...Remember I have been with kids out of school for the past 15 days :eek: lol..

It really just come down to this....There is just a very fine line between what is stealing,and what is "ok"...Sure...If I have a soda card,and someone wants a sip...No biggie...Maybe even so far as..I have not used it today...And my DH gets one instead...

I think if is a situation where someone buys it with the expressed intention to double its usage,in my opinion,thats unfortunate...

It may not seem like a big deal...But if every cabin purchased 1,and then 2 or 3 people in each cabin each used it full time...That would be a big hit...So...in fairness to everyone...other than a sip or 2...or maybe 1 or 2 over a week period...

I was a consultant for a major fast food establishment...we have self serve bev bars in many (most) of out restaurants...You would not believe the number of people that say...ask for a water cup,and proceed to fill it with soda.Or bring a cup in from earlier in the day,another location or even their own cup,and fill it up...Most will say,when approached "whats the big deal ************ can afford it....Thankfully,not everyone takes this approach,or we would have to remove them....Many times folks will order 3 or 4 items...And 1 drink....Obviously to share...It is not a cashiers job to police that,but you can be sure it happens...To me...not as offensive as just coming in and outright taking a full unpaid for bev...

again...Its a fine line...Let your conscience be your guide

Oh,boy some of us are in trouble then huh :p !!

I wonder how many of these righteous people who wouldn't dream of depriving RCL of their profit margin in soda smuggle booze onboard because the cost of alcohol is to high?:D

Nope, sorry, wouldn't smuggle booze either!:p

I wouldn't consider myself righteous - I won't notice if someone is using someone else's soda card, nor would I particularly care. I'm too busy enjoying myself on a cruise to think about that. I don't care if someone smuggles booze. Plus, I never drink soda, I'm too busy having foo foo drinks, or wine, or or or....:rolleyes:

But, as I wrote pages back, I work with the police. I wouldn't have been hired if I had admitted to doing this (and it would have come out in my polygraph test - they ask you EVERYTHING). :o They know what I did when I was 9. Now, they don't care what I did when I was nine, but they would care about what I did last month. As the officer said, they hold employees to a higher standard than the rest of the population. So, no, I am not going to use someone else's soda card, or smuggle booze, or do anything that I would be ashamed to admit to on a polygraph. Everyone has their own line that they do not cross. I've been through a lie detector test, so my line may be higher than most. But, people that share soda cards, or smuggle booze are not bad people because of that.

I'm still fun at a party though....:p

"Thus our efforts to explain the concept of personal accountability and clarify what it is important to report and when he should mind his own business."

My daughter also went through a phase where she would report to the teacher every infraction of the rules no matter how minor. Like newcruiser65 I explained to my daughter that although the other children's behavior might be wrong, it is inappropriate to "tattle" on other children who commit MINOR infractions.

From what I've seen in this thread it is obvious that many posters here never received that valuable bit of advice from their parents.

And stealing from a soda card (1 card 2 users) or doing a double dip at a buffet line (2 people one paid admission) is MINOR by your definition?

When does it become a MAJOR theft? What dollar amount?

No smuggling of booze here or any other rules violations.

Sorry folks!

And stealing from a soda card (1 card 2 users) or doing a double dip at a buffet line (2 people one paid admission) is MINOR by your definition?

When does it become a MAJOR theft? What dollar amount?

I never said it was minor. But since you asked, In New York State, and probably every other jurisdiction in the United States, the examples you cited would be considered a petit larceny. They certainly do not rise to the level of a "crime of significance" that you mentioned in post # 405.

In the US, he is considered an adult under the age of 21. Therefore, he cannot legally drink. So, to adult charge for a soda is appropriate.

Just a minor point, but except for US ports and US cruises, US alcohol laws are immaterial because RCI is not a US company and does business outside of the US. The only times that the age 21 restriction is related to what's legal in the US is when the ships are actually in the US.

beachchick

Just a minor point, but except for US ports and US cruises, US alcohol laws are immaterial because RCI is not a US company and does business outside of the US. The only times that the age 21 restriction is related to what's legal in the US is when the ships are actually in the US.

beachchick

Some cruise lines, like DCL, make it their own 21 yoa alcohol policy. Yes DCL is a US company but the ships are flagged under a foreign nation. The same goes with RCL. They set up their own policy, which at times, it is mandated by their liability insurance or legal department. The enforcement is stricter these days (at least that is what they claim) after the rash of under age drinking, people jumping of the ship, and suicides.

For the record, again, RCL, CCL, DCL are American Companies with their ships registered in foreign countries.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=RCL

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. operates in cruise vacation industry worldwide. It operates three cruise brands: Royal Caribbean International (RCI), Celebrity Cruises, and Pullmantur Cruises. RCI brand offers a range of onboard activities, services, and amenities, including swimming pools, sun decks, beauty salons, exercise and spa facilities, ice skating rinks, in-line skating, basketball courts, rock climbing walls, surf machines, bungee jumping trampolines, miniature golf courses, waterpark, gaming facilities, lounges, bars, and cinemas, as well as provides Royal Promenades, which are boulevards with shopping, dining, and entertainment venues. It also offers various shore excursions at each port of call to couples and families traveling with children. As of December 31, 2006, RCI operated 20 cruise ships with approximately 47,900 berths. Celebrity Cruises brand delivers spa facilities, fine dining, and personalized services. As of the above date, it operated 9 cruise ships with approximately 15,150 berths. Pullmantur Cruises brand serves contemporary cruise vacation segment, as well as sells land-based travel packages, including hotel and flights. As of the above date, it operated 5 cruise ships with approximately 4,500 berths in Europe and Latin America. Royal Caribbean Cruises was founded in 1968 and is based in Miami, Florida.

Stil cant understand why RCI would charge an 18, 19, or 20yr old adult soda price? when they have no other choice! especially when they make so much money from them anyway.

I agree. And besides the fact that they don't have the choice to purchase alcohol instead (not that I want my 18 yr old buying alcohol) and are forced to purchase the soda if they don't want iced tea, fruit punch, etc., why a difference between adult & child cost? Soda is soda. And, if you want to base a difference on consumption, I would guess that most kids are likely to consume more soda than most adults - so you would expect the prices to be flip-flopped from what they actually are.

Some cruise lines, like DCL, make it their own 21 yoa alcohol policy. Yes DCL is a US company but the ships are flagged under a foreign nation. The same goes with RCL. They set up their own policy, which at times, it is mandated by their liability insurance or legal department. The enforcement is stricter these days (at least that is what they claim) after the rash of under age drinking, people jumping of the ship, and suicides.

For the record, again, RCL, CCL, DCL are American Companies with their ships registered in foreign countries.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=RCL

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. operates in cruise vacation industry worldwide. It operates three cruise brands: Royal Caribbean International (RCI), Celebrity Cruises, and Pullmantur Cruises. RCI brand offers a range of onboard activities, services, and amenities, including swimming pools, sun decks, beauty salons, exercise and spa facilities, ice skating rinks, in-line skating, basketball courts, rock climbing walls, surf machines, bungee jumping trampolines, miniature golf courses, waterpark, gaming facilities, lounges, bars, and cinemas, as well as provides Royal Promenades, which are boulevards with shopping, dining, and entertainment venues. It also offers various shore excursions at each port of call to couples and families traveling with children. As of December 31, 2006, RCI operated 20 cruise ships with approximately 47,900 berths. Celebrity Cruises brand delivers spa facilities, fine dining, and personalized services. As of the above date, it operated 9 cruise ships with approximately 15,150 berths. Pullmantur Cruises brand serves contemporary cruise vacation segment, as well as sells land-based travel packages, including hotel and flights. As of the above date, it operated 5 cruise ships with approximately 4,500 berths in Europe and Latin America. Royal Caribbean Cruises was founded in 1968 and is based in Miami, Florida.

For the record:

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-faq

1.Where is the Company incorporated? The Company is incorporated in the Republic of Liberia.

Thank you Finbar127. I was beginning to think I was either going crazy or simply destined to be misunderstood and misquoted. It is good to know that I am saying what I thought I was saying and not what people keep telling me I am saying.

Stil cant understand why RCI would charge an 18, 19, or 20yr old adult soda price? when they have no other choice! especially when they make so much money from them anyway.

Perhaps because an 18, 19, or 20 yr old is an adult!

I really do not get why people have such an issue over this topic. The price is the price is the price and stealing is stealing! Period. If you do not like the price... cruise on a different line! If you do not like the rules... cruise on a different line!

And let's not forget that the first and foremost purpose of any cruiseline is to make money! That is reality! If you don't like that... then do not cruise at all. Sorry if this sounds harsh but enough is enough. People need to stop trying to rationalize stealing!

Archived