Things we shouldn't miss in Australia

stevefrankel

This one isn't as easy as the title implies. We're on the Jan 7 Sydney-Sydney tip that goes to Hardy Reef, Cairns, Alotau, Townsville, Fitzalan, Brisbane, Eden and Sydney. The only place on the list we have been is Sydney, and we would really welcome suggestions for restaurants, "don't miss" attractions and photo opportunities, dive operations and private guides in any of these places. Any and all help will be appreciated!!!

For one, try Darling Harbor. Lots of things to see. Sydney has a great monorail, which will allow you to see a lot of Sydney. Check to see if they still have the day pass, which will let you get on and off as many times as you want. It also depends how much time you will have in Sydney. I suggest that you visit Barnes & Noble, Borders, or any other book store, or even get on the web. See what there is since I've not been there since 1997. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've only just joined and have seen your query.

Can't help too much, I'm afraid, on the smaller towns... there won't be much problem finding the best restaurant in Townsville - it's small!

I am a Sydneysider - My 2007 Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide (the Bible for Sydney restaurants!) lists a few in Brisbane also:

e'cco - in the evening an elegant hum descends over this old converted warehouse with flawless bistro fare and mouth-watering aromas.

Isis - a brasserie with the heart of a fine diner, the spirit of a great European wine bar.

Montrachet - French chic - brasserie

Urbane - chic slip of a restaurant popular for elegant evenings - food is starkly modern, precise and imaginative. Thumbnail size gnocchi with goat's curd and pickled baby beets are a must have.

In Sydney, Darling Harbour is fine, but for tourists.

Do a BridgeClimb - it's AMAZING (expensive tho) and very safe and not scary - 80 year olds have done it.

Good restaurants: Icebergs at Bondi Beach (pricey); Gelbisons at Bondi Beach for loud noisy good pizza; Bayswater Brasserie at Kings Cross; Flying Fish at Pyrmont (pricey, great design);

Stay away from restaurants at the Rocks - very touristy, plenty of other offerings.

Enjoy, hope this gets to you in time...

cheers

MikeMel49 - would appreciate any recommendations for hotels in Sydney. The last two times we stayed were at the old Regent (now the Four Seasons). Also stayed at the Intercontinental way back in '89. Also had a few good times at JAcksons on George.

Thanks for any input.

For great restaurants in Sydney I don't think you can go past 41, Tetsuyas and Aria. Both 41 and Aria have good views but both will require bookings (ask for tables 7, 8 or 9 at Aria as they look straight at the Opera House)

Tetsuyas doesn't have a view but has great Asian Infusion.

Aqua Luna at North Sydney is also good and looks at the bridge the other way.

Avoid Doyles it's a tourist rip off.

Good place for fresh seafood lunch is to head over to the Fishmarkets and grab a table. You can good wine etc at the bottle shop and dine on the peir...be warned...it is not exactly startling scenery but it is good food usually.

Eden is very much a cafe culture so if you want to dine off ship there are a few cafe restaurants to choose from near the jetty...the Whaling Museum used to be good but it's a while since i've been there.

From Cairns (he may only operate from Port Douglas) you might like to try Pete Baxendall Tours rainforest (sorry no contact but i think you'll find him on a websearch). The Limo company in cairns (SunPalms???) also do guided drives but I can't recommend them from use as we only use them for airport transfers.

Diving on Hardy Reef is usually a one operator monopoly (but i can be corrected) run by fantasea or cruise Whitsundays depending on the location

Fitzalan is the mooring for Hamilton island...you will find a greater choice of dive operators but IMHO the restaurants on the island are overpriced and poor quality. Perhaps hire a buggy and head up to one of the lookouts for views over the Whitsunday passage (sorry i'm not much help I'm not a fan of HTI)

Leonid,

Ive stayed in a few so...

I still think the FS is the pick of the bunch even with it's smaller rooms. The intercon rooms even with a reurb are looking a bit tired and the Shangri la can't get the service element consistently right. They completely ignored my daughter last time we were there and served someone else...the FS made her feel welcome. I also don't like the trek up the stairs to the Shang.

The final choice is much pricier with low down across the harbour views and it's the Park Hyatt...I like looking down on the harbour so i've not stayed there.

Perhaps you can try the WestinSydney, it has good location, and (at least in 2001), there was a very nice variety cheese shop close to the lobby area. The Sheraton on the park was refurbished in 2001, and is a little cheaper. You can get Starwood points for both, and stay till 4 p.m. if you are a member (that may be convenient for those who have later flights).

Westins (at least the one in Melbourne) have very nice beds. Buy a bathrobe from them, especially the thinner, lighter type, which is more comfortable. It will make a good suvenir! Hope this helps.

I'll second the Observatory..it slips by unnnoticed because it doesn't have the views of the big chains but by and large is a better hotel (part of Oriental group i think) it is a bit more of a walk to to key locations but it wins because it is more boutique in style...I only tend to thnk of it in terms of a romantic weekend away :o

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful harbour - you can see why Captain James Cook called this place Eden when he discovered it more than 200 years ago, If you go down by the fishermens jetty and see steam coming from a trawler, buy a few of the fresh shrimp ( called prawns in Australia) from the boat. Go into the nearby park and enjoy the best seafood I have ever eaten in the world. A taste of heaven from this small fishing boat harbour in New South Wales. Enjoy your cruise - maybe the chef will buy some for the ship for dinner that evening. Those shrimp really are something special!

If you go to Western Australia, then Perth is the state capital. At the centre, there is "Carillon City", a ten block walking shopping area, which is interesting but not out of the ordinary. You may also try the Perth Mint, where they will show you how they pour blocks of gold. Buy a gold and some silver coins there and have them inscribe whatever you want on the back side. Keep a gold coin yourself for souvenir (market price for 1 oz.), and inscribe some silver coins as gifts to your folks, what a thoughtful idea! Then take a taxi to Freemantle (only A$30 in 2001), the port where those yacht races took place, and there is a Kailis shop (previously called "Artisans of the Sea") close by. This is a fishing/pearling company. We tried to buy a "pinctada maxima" oyster there (to see how a south sea pearl oyster would taste), but unfortunately it was not available at that time! And I agree, the seafood, right out of the waters close by, is m..m good.

Agree, Observatory is lovely - but a bit "out of the action". To me The Park Hyatt at Circular Quay is the only place to be (it's boutique style).

Also Shangrila at Circular Quay is great, but it's high rise.

A restaurant not to miss is "Pier" at Rose Bay (expensive) but not touristy and excellent seafood and international dishses.

The Observatory is a 5 -10 min walk (maximum) to the Rocks area.

We love Rockpool and ate there last Friday night (5 courses $130/person from memory).

We also love lunch at the Bathers Pavillion at Balmoral. Catch a water taxi from Circular Quay. The food and atmosphere is great. About the same per head for three courses.

Pity you are not doing Melbourne.

Jane;)

Archived