Calica Fishing Shore Excursion - Is it worth it?

mamamo65

We are booked on Carnival Inspiration May 26, 2007. Carnival offers a fishing expedition and they cook your catch for your lunch. Has anyone done this one or any others and is it worth the price? Our first cruise was to Nassua in March 06 and I feel I really got burned on the shore excursion (Pearl Island Treasure Hunt:eek: ) I booked through the cruise line. My boys (10 & 14) really like to fish.

• 1 month later...

We attempted to book the fishing trip you are talking about. We tried to book at the last minute (the night before) on the ship,( we were on the Inspiration)but they were sold out. (There were 6 of us). My son had his heart set on fishing, so we found someone as we got of the ship in Calica who was at a table with different excursions. It was not a good experience. We gave him a $50.00 deposit and in return he directed our taxis to take us to Phamtom Divers in Playa De Carmen, with expectations of a 32' ft boat- they only had a 18'. After walking back and forth and after 2 hrs they finally got us a 28' boat. There was a crew of 2. It started POURING in the middle of the trip and no fishing was done, just a little snorkeling. After 3 hrs it did not stop pouring and we asked them to take us back. We had a problem with paying them (they said $250.00), but then told us they wanted more because of the money conversion. We had to pay in cash, had to get Paso's out of an ATM, which was all in Spanish. We ended up getting the trip for $250.00, and in a way I am glad we did not pay the Carnival trip which was 129.00 pp, as it rained the whole second half. But if I had to do it again, especially with kids, I would do the Carnival tour ,or do some online research and book with a reputable company in Playa De Carmen. There were not even any life vests on the boat! It was defiantly an experience! The language barrier and the money enchange was a hugh pain!

Archived