Renting Deck Chairs???

captain_rad

I would like to draw on the vast experience of you fine CC folks to clear up a mystery for me. From time to time I come across refrences about renting deck chairs on the QE 2. Last year when we were on the QE 2 getting a deck chair was never a problem. Is this some inside joke that we missed?:eek:

Does anyone know how busy the exercise room is on the crossing? On our segment of the world cruise the gym was packed in the morning.

You don't have to rent deck chairs on the QE2. However, there is one deck, where you do have to rent them. Those deck chairs are on an upper deck (I can't remember which one) with plexiglas or something to shelter you from the wind around. They also have cushions and a steward to bring you a blanket and a hot drink or something else, even afternoon tea. It was a little too breezy to have afternoon tea outside. That deck chair is yours for the whole trip. I think I paid $17, something fairly modest and I thought it was well worth it.

Wow:eek: I thought that renting deck chairs was a joke. The place that you describe sounds like the funnel bar. But on my portion of the world cruise there seemed to be an abundance of empty chairs staked around the deck, and if you wanted a cushion you just pulled one out of the storage bins. Was this on a crossing that you rented a deck chair? I will look into this a bit further when I get on the ship. Thanks for the info.

Raphael,

The deck chairs for rent were on Sun Deck. I definitely remember $17 for either a crossing or cruise. There was an ID tag which resembled a luggage tagattached to the chair. Your name would appear there.

I understand that this service is now gone. The last time I was on the ship was for a WB crossing in August 2003. There were reserved chairs for a fee and no Funnel Bar.

See you very soon.

Bobby

I would like to draw on the vast experience of you fine CC folks to clear up a mystery for me. From time to time I come across refrences about renting deck chairs on the QE 2. Last year when we were on the QE 2 getting a deck chair was never a problem. Is this some inside joke that we missed?:eek:

Does anyone know how busy the exercise room is on the crossing? On our segment of the world cruise the gym was packed in the morning.

the last i was on the qe2 several years ago the upperdeck ( the sun deck???)

you could reserve a deck chair in you name for $ 15.00usd per chair for the week but you did not have to if there were chairs available you could use same for no fee!! so i see it as a reserve not a rental !! hard to believe they are still doing this.. best regards

Wow:eek: I thought that renting deck chairs was a joke. The place that you describe sounds like the funnel bar. But on my portion of the world cruise there seemed to be an abundance of empty chairs staked around the deck, and if you wanted a cushion you just pulled one out of the storage bins. Was this on a crossing that you rented a deck chair? I will look into this a bit further when I get on the ship. Thanks for the info.

IIRC, there were 2 rows of chairs that could be reserved on the aft sundeck. As previously mentioned, much of this deck is shielded from the wind. After reserving the chairs, they were tagged with your name. I remember this burly chap tucking us in our chairs with this heavy horseblanket. Hot boullion was available for the hearty folks. It can be rather cool in January, so this is not for everybody. It's rather subjective that it's worth the $17 or so for this reserved place for 6 days.

You don't have to rent deck chairs on the QE2. However, there is one deck, where you do have to rent them. Those deck chairs are on an upper deck (I can't remember which one) with plexiglas or something to shelter you from the wind around. They also have cushions and a steward to bring you a blanket and a hot drink or something else, even afternoon tea. It was a little too breezy to have afternoon tea outside. That deck chair is yours for the whole trip. I think I paid $17, something fairly modest and I thought it was well worth it.

Don't worry, there's no longer a charge for using the loungers on sun deck (or anywhere else on board), either outside the Funnel Bar area or within the perspex sheltered area. We were on board last week and used both areas during our voyage at no cost. BTW lunch is now served up there. Salad, sandwiches and burger type 'meals'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived