How do I reach Oscar Brown?

GiniB

GiniB,

Just curious what email address did you finally use to get in touch with Oscar?

We had such a wonderful time with him on our first trip to Puerto Limon that we used him again in January of this year. When we go back to Costa Rica we will be using him again. It was by far that best independent tour that we have ever done.

You can use the limonense03@yahoo.com to get Oscar & his sister, Carol.

What a great tour Oscar gave us on 12/16/06. It was sunny & warm........No rain........a beautiful day. Oscar stopped on the side of the road for flowers for the ladies hair, stopped for a pod from the lipstick tree and demonstrated it, found a little man in the banana plants w. a monkey for us to pet, stopped for a time for us to pick up & hold a sloth and get "attacked" by some sort of cute sort of "racoony-type" creatures. :) He showed us the "poorer" side of Puerto Limon w. the many islanders selling whatever they grew or made on the streets.........the religious school & college he attended.........the "new" catholic church....the "airport"......and his special, almost not a secret anymore, photo spot, high above town & over-looking the harbor & our ship. We loved his efficient tour thru the Delmonte Plantation........we saw much more, in a far shorter time than the big tour buses. They were there when we got there.....and still there when we left because they had so many people to accommodate.

Oscar was a polite, enthusiastic guide. He was greeted by many people as we drove around since he grew up in Costa Rica. The canal trip he took us to was great........a beautiful, small Inn/Restaurant & nice guide. A small 6-8 person speedy craft; the ship's boats held 50 people!

Oscar has many different, tailor-made tours for people. Canal, Aerial, canopy, etc. He knows Costa Rica.

Marty & Tony

Marty,

It sounds like you had just as good a time as we did on our two tours with Oscar. The only thing different was it was raining all day when we were there for our second tour. Oscar was on his cell phone trying to keep us a dry as possible. Carol was here in the states for a period of time. I talked to her on the phone several times, she was so helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to presume from posting about getting in touch with Oscar Brown that he does not have a website...correct?

Did you just email him with what you would like to do, or did you ask for suggestions. Our biggest interest is taking pics and seeing flora and fauna

We simply emailed him last Fall requesting info about the types of tours he offered.

In our case, we were interested in the flora and fauna I think was how I put it in the email. He and Carol replied back with his standard, lengthy, 2-3 page email consisting of about 6-8 very detailed tour "templates" he could use. We chose a tour that approximated most of the things that interested us and kind of "designed" from there. He showed many things we would not have thought of to see along the way, but clearly made a special effort to stop by plants, trees, etc to demonstate & pick things for me. And as it was NOT Coccoa bean "time" got some of the the immature coccoa bean pods, opened and explained the growth process. Again, at the Delmonte plant, although he showed & explained the packing process...we spent more time out in the fields learning about the plants themselves, growth cycles, taking them apart to see that they are almost ALL water, seeing how bannanas protected in the fields, which would get tossed out & where they went, etc. He also took us to what HE called a Sloth Sanctuary......it really was some guys' house who is paid to protect wildlife & who has a sloth in his frontyard! Fun. And he took it off the tree for us to hold. But, if you have never seen the "other" side of a 3 toed sloth when you normally only see it's back, slowly climbing, but actually HOLD it you'd get a real kick. They have these remarkably caricature-like kind of faces w. big eyes and smiles! Precious. Docile. Best picture of entire cruise was me holding one..and I'm not sure which of us had the biggest smile!

It was $45 each.

Marty & Tony

BTW - Due to recent board and sign-on problems, we're formerly Sun Catcher with another post farther up this thread & toured w. Oscar on 12/16/06.

husband and i were met at the pier promptly by oscar's brother in law and he brought us on the tour of our lives, we started off the tour by traveling the countryside and he explained each fruit tree to us and showed us samples of bananas then on to the banana plantation and packaging facility. later on to the canal. blablabla, all fine

the highlight of the tour was a stop as an animal rescue center ran by a widow. the place was neat as a pin and she had monkeys sloths many beautiful birds and fine examples of rare orchids. she adopted these animals one by one from owners that couldn't handle caring for them. what a treat to see these animals up close. i would encourage you to ask oscar to stop at this place as it was the best stop on the tour. and the lady needs the money to continue to help these animals.

when we were there we saw countless taxis and vans stopping in front of the property to get a peak at the monkey she keeps in the front yard. all of you tourists should be willing to donate a few bucks to see this and much more inside the complex.

• 2 weeks later...

My husban and I are just back from our 1st cruise and Limon, Costa Rica was our last port. We hired Oscar Brown from all the great recommendations on CC and were not disappointed.

I emailed Carol (Oscar's sister) on many occasions and she was prompt in getting back to me and always answered all my questions.

Oscar and his associates were on the dock to meet us when we arrived. There were many groups from the ship using his services, but I wanted to be sure only to go with other zipliners. We were the only ones, so Oscar put us in a car with his BIL, Lorenzo. Lorenzo was fantastc. He was curtiouis, knowledgable, and very accomadating, stopping anytime along the way to show us fruits, flowers, and animals. He really made this trip for us and it was a highlight of our cruise.

We ziplined 1st..loved it!!, then went to the banana plantation which was very interesting, then on a canal boat ride. Our guide on the canal was great and really knew his stuff.

Lorenzo took us to the hilltop restaurant for lunch...excellent. and then to the groc store for coffee. He came in with us to show us the coffee and dealt with the cashier to insure we got back amer $$.

We were with Lorenzo for about 7 hrs and just loved it.

We highly recommend Oscar Brown if you go to Limon. They are organized, use good vendors, and know there stuff.

Any questions I'll try to answer.

After reading many wonderful comments, I just booked Oscar Brown for the Tortugero Canal tour for March 1st. As previous poster noted, Carol got back to me promptly and answered all my questions. Will post again when we return.

My husban and I are just back from our 1st cruise and Limon, Costa Rica was our last port. We hired Oscar Brown from all the great recommendations on CC and were not disappointed.

I emailed Carol (Oscar's sister) on many occasions and she was prompt in getting back to me and always answered all my questions.

Oscar and his associates were on the dock to meet us when we arrived. There were many groups from the ship using his services, but I wanted to be sure only to go with other zipliners. We were the only ones, so Oscar put us in a car with his BIL, Lorenzo. Lorenzo was fantastc. He was curtiouis, knowledgable, and very accomadating, stopping anytime along the way to show us fruits, flowers, and animals. He really made this trip for us and it was a highlight of our cruise.

We ziplined 1st..loved it!!, then went to the banana plantation which was very interesting, then on a canal boat ride. Our guide on the canal was great and really knew his stuff.

Lorenzo took us to the hilltop restaurant for lunch...excellent. and then to the groc store for coffee. He came in with us to show us the coffee and dealt with the cashier to insure we got back amer $$.

We were with Lorenzo for about 7 hrs and just loved it.

We highly recommend Oscar Brown if you go to Limon. They are organized, use good vendors, and know there stuff.

Any questions I'll try to answer.

We are going in March and have e-mailed Carol and reserved them for ziplining. Would you mind answering some questions?

1. Were you afraid at all? :eek:

2. How long is the drive to the ziplining spot?

3. Do you need hand strenth to hold on( having problem with my thumb)

4. Was the cost higher than you thought since it was just two of you?

Sorry for all the questions but I think zipling might be the highlight of our cruise. I also worry about getting back to the ship on time. Thanks for your posting. I feel better about booking with them now:)

We are going in March and have e-mailed Carol and reserved them for ziplining. Would you mind answering some questions?

1. Were you afraid at all? :eek:

2. How long is the drive to the ziplining spot?

3. Do you need hand strenth to hold on( having problem with my thumb)

4. Was the cost higher than you thought since it was just two of you?

Sorry for all the questions but I think zipling might be the highlight of our cruise. I also worry about getting back to the ship on time. Thanks for your posting. I feel better about booking with them now:)

NP, sorry I haven't been back sooner, we've been having computer problems. I was a little aprehensive (sp?) on the 1st line, but after that I was ready to go, it's really fast so the height isn't a problem because you only have time to look side to side. They also do an extensive demonstration before you leave the setup area.

The drive was no more than 30 mins, we stopped along the way to ck out some local fruit and flowers. Lorenzo was great about stopping anytime.

This is not the same place the ship excursion goes, so we didn't have to wait for anyone, it was fantastic. Ck out their gift shop too, their prices were the same as the market and really nice wooden cutting boards,etc.

You wear a glove on your brake hand that is hard leather, so your thumb won't be a problem.

We didn't pay any extra for just the two of us. Another great thing was that Lorenzo stayed with the car all the time, except lunch, which allowed us to leave our backpck, etc with him.

Don't miss the restaurant on the hilltop, the food is wonderful and the view outstanding. Lorenzo ate with us so we got to know him even better.

Hope that answers your questions. Here are some pictures from our cruise. http://community.webshots.com/user/bmvcanton

I'm trying to get Costa Rica up today. I also did a review on the Brillance under bmvcanton. I don't know if that is the cruise your doing or not.

We reserved a tour with Oscar Brown in JAN 07 and were not disappointed. His nephew, Roger was our guide for the day. He spoke excellent english and showed us everything described in the tour. The zip line was great. We had our 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter. Our daughter had to go tandem with an instructor, but had a wonderful time. My only disappointment was that the zip line company he used does not video tape for you. (I had read in other posts that some companies will video tape your tour and sell the DVD for $20). Luckily, we brought our own camera and my husband was able to video tape us. It was a little difficult with the big gloves on your hands, but it still turned out great. I would highly recommend Oscar Brown and his staff. His website is http://www.oscarbrowntours.com

Archived