QM2 - Avoiding the wind Southampton to NY

Dame Delilah

We have a balcony on our return trip from Southampton to NY in April. I'm told that winds can be pretty strong on a May crossing. Which side--Port or Starboard will realize the least wind?? -- Thanks!

1. The prevailing wind across the Atlantic is from west to east. This affects port and starboard alike.

2. Most of the wind encountered is created by the forward motion of the ship, about 26 knots for the QM2.

3. When you combine the outside temperature with the wind speed ,one arrives at a windchill factor that makes it apparent why the premium for a balcony is so small. ;)

We have a balcony on our return trip from Southampton to NY in April. I'm told that winds can be pretty strong on a May crossing. Which side--Port or Starboard will realize the least wind?? -- Thanks!

Because the ship's great circle track is more to the southwest than due west for much of the westbound crossing, the port side will be more sheltered from the prevailing westerlies. But, considering the variablity and unpredictability of the weather, "prevailing" may not count for much. And remember that the QM2 will treat you a 28 knot breeze all by itself. Guaranteed that the decks will be much breezier than the balconies, so bundle up when strolling. I'm sure that you will have a great time.

Archived