QM2 Labor Day Weekend Question

Fred C

I think you've just named it. Well, We did 4 days not 5- It was out of New York, Day at sea, day in Halifax, day at sea, disembark the next morning.

We had a marvelous time, dispite the fact that there was a nor'easter puffing up as we were leaving NYC. Some folks didn't cotton to the ship bouncing,forward in the Commodore Club up high, the fisrt night. For the rest of us it was a carnival ride.

Marc and I spent all day at the Halifax Maritme Museum. Their motto is something like "whether you got a few minutes or a few hours" This is very much true. I was very much moved by the exhibits, and learned a lot that I did not know previously. And lest you think it is only about the Titanic (the local fisherman and other boats went out to rescue passengers from the lifeboats and to see if they could find other survivors) there was a horrendous explosion in Halifa's past- the human stories there were equally gripping. Additionally, you can learn alot about engines, instruments, other types of boats, fishing, salvage, the life an a mariner, sailmaking, ship building model building and more. There are hands-on exhibits and interactive exhibits. There are Cunard exhibits, and now, there is the new memorial to Sam Cunard there, dedicated by our own Commodore Warwick. I found it neat that I might learn something from an exhibit, only to see another exhibit which seemed to echo what I learend, though they might, in fact be about different subjects, in general. I learned without knowing I was learning- a marvelous method for teaching!

You'll have a good time, and the two days at sea will give you time to explore this wonderful ship on a too short trip.

Karie,

who wishes everyone a wonderful hoilday time, whatever your religious persuasion, whether this is your holdiay or not.

Dear Fred, I went on the last Halifax Labor Day cruise. Karie summed it up. The day in Halifax was rainy and chilly and we also spent the day at the museum, however, they had MANY other shore excursions available ,ie Pub tours, trips out to Peggys Cove and the lighthouse, exploring the gardens, city tours etc. Cunard will send you all the details when you get your packet a month or so before sailing. I spent the at sea days jammed packed with activities and knocked myself out! When I got too tired, I ordered the wonderful 24 hr room service. The food was fantastic and as good as the dining room. I have two words for you. DO IT!

We enjoyed it so much we booked a 9 day New York to Quebec for Sept 07.

We have been on the Mary three times and it just gets better and better!

Enjoyed the stop in Bar Harbor, do not know if that is on for Labor Day or not. We just walked all over the town, ate lobster and enjoyed ourselves. Lots of tours for those who have never been there before. A wonderful trip!

B.

Heah Fred...the Labor Day cruise (or any of the "weekend" cruises offered on QM2 in 2007) is a good introduction to the ship. Along with Travel-to-Go and Nuekruiser, DH and I were on the now (in)famous 2006 Labor Day voyage. Karie was right about the nor'easter...we sailed through powerful winds (at least 50 MPH) and rough seas (about 20 feet) but QM2 sailed through it all with ease. Felt a bit of pitching the first night (we were on deck 11) but nothing that made us feel uncomfortable. If I remember correctly, we were in Halifax on Labor Day which meant that some stores were closed (seemed to remember some folks gripping about that). We spent the day walking around the waterfront (and getting soaked due to the wind and rain) but enjoyed ourselves nonetheless. I would definitely book the Labor Day Cruise if you're looking for a quickie (cruise, that is). Hopefully, you'll love QM2 so much that you'll book a longer voyage. BTW: I believe all the weekend cruises (Bahamas and Nova Scotia) are 4 days, not 5 (unless Cunard changed the itinerary).

Have a wonderful cruise.

I too was on this trip and I slept like a baby and didn't notice any rocking at all(I like rocking)....It was nice introduction although the weather was not good. I did another labor day trip to Halifax a few years ago and the weather was perfect(although to tell the truth we were supposed to go to Bermuda but wound up in Halifax istead). Its the luck of the draw unfortunately

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and a Joyous New year,,, y'all

Archived