Luggage transfer question

derrick22

Searched but couldn't find the answer. Last time we cruised with RCCI was 17 years ago. We just boarded the plane in NY and never saw or touched our luggage until it was in our stateroom.Cruised in April with Disney and they took care of the luggage also.

This time we are coming in the night before (Galveston) but purchased transfers.

Do we have to get our luggage from baggage claim? When we leave the hotel to we have to carry our luggage to the pier or will RCCI take care of it?

Thanks.

You'll most likely need to identify your luggage at baggage claim. It's advised that you put on your cruise bag tags AFTER you land - that way there is no confusion with the airline routing tag that will be put on by the airline. As you'll be in a day before, you should just need to check with the RCCI rep at baggage claim about how they're handling the luggage situation. At most you'd probably just need to identify your luggage and put on your cruise tags.

For hotel to ship you will probably just need to put it outside of your room, or maybe bring it down with you, and the cruise line will take it from there.

Even with RCCL transfers, you will need to claim your bags at baggage claim. Then you will need to meet the RCCL rep, who will be around baggage claim waiting for you. You will then bring your bags out to the transfer vehicle (most likely a bus). When you check out of the hotel, you will just need to call a porter to get your bags (make sure your cruiseline luggage tags are on your bag at that point). They will bring them down for you. And make sure they are loaded onto the bus.

It is true I was on the Summit which is Celebrity this month, but as they are owned by the same company, my experience may be relevant.

I arrived at LAX, got to luggage pick up NO REP from Celebrity to help, finally found myself a porter who took me to a Super Shuttle bus, who dropped me at my hotel. (air/hotel/tramsport all booked with Celebrity). At hotel still NO REP , finally got a letter from the Reception desk, that I would be picked up next day at 11o/c Bus finally arrived at 12, with others got on and arrived at ship. As Elite CC with a pre printed out Express check in pass I found myself being told to "join the line" , took about 30 mins to get to clerk, then her computer did not work correctly. Finally got on board, found one member of staff with no Champagne (just empty tray) told my cabin was not ready and I should go to buffet, had to find my own cabin and finally got into my cabin at 2.15p.m

Although my luggage had been fine at hotel and also when I saw it unloaded from bus, when one case finally arrived at 9.30p.m it had one handle ripped off and hanging, my fancy name tag had been removed (presume it had been cut off, since that was the only way it could be removed) and someone had tried to "jimmie" the small lock restraining the zips, the lock was so damaged the key would not operate and I had to have maintenance cut it off to get into my case.

In fairness to the ship, when I reported the "crime" the maintenance staff did an excellent job of re affixing the handle almost invisible repair. I had a spare name tag, and lock with me, so took care of that myself

Archived