Pre-cruise Hotel selection in Hawaii - Please help

giggles217

We are thinking of adding the 2 day pre-cruise package to our cruise to Hawaii. We will be traveling with my in-laws who will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and am trying to ensure that we get the best we can afford. The hotels we are looking at are the Sheraton Moana Surfrider or theHilton Hawaiian Village. Our TA is recomending the Surfrider. One major plus would be to have cruise check-in from NCL right at the hotel so we won't have to wait in any lines the day of embarkation. The only other plus is a tour from the hotel to Pearl Harbor which we will want to see.

So has anyone been to either of these hotels and can give us the good the bad and the ugly? Also does anyone know about the advanced checkin?

Both nice hotels - hard to get wrong with either. The Moana is more of a classic hotel from the old age of Hawaii - some wonderful Hawaiiana memorabilia in the lobby. The HHV is more of a glitz "Vegas" type hotel. Both are luxurious. As to which you like will probably depend on what kind of person you are.

Spleen

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Hawaii and stayed at the HHV. Very nice hotel. If you decide to stay there, make sure you plan your days so you have some time at the hotel, there is a lot to see. We really enjoyed the penguins. Have fun.

Tammy

You won't be able to do the precruise checkin at the Surfrider. I went to the office in the Marriott to try and you need to be staying there through the NCL precruise program. I am sure that the HHV is the same. I was told that even if you are booked in those hotels on your own, if you didn't purchase the package with NCL, no precruise checkin. They will allow anyone to make dinner reservations for the first night.

Patty

Margu,

Sorry if I sound repetitious but we are staying at the HHV. Therefore we cannot precheck-in but they will allow us to prereserve dinner the first night?

If so, do you know when we can do this (ie...is the office open a few days before sailing?)

Thanks!

Louchamp,

I will assume that the office in the HHV works the same as the Marriott. If the info below doesn't apply to HHV, perhaps someone who went to the office there can correct it for you. We were staying in the Outrigger Waikiki which is very close to the Marriott, so that is where we went. The office in the Marriott was open during the day. We stopped by twice-Friday, late afternoon around 4-5 and Saturday just before lunch, and it was open both times. I am not sure if they have evening hours, but when we went on Friday they were getting ready to close it up (not sure if just for a break or for the day). They will allow anyone to make dinner reservations for the first night, but the only restaurant they were doing last week was Le Bistro. They said they are hoping to get the other two going soon.

I really found embarkation to be a breeze, we got to the pier around noon, checked our bags and then waited inline outside for about a half hour, let us in the air conditioned lobby and started check in a little before 1. We were on the ship by 1:15 as we were in the first group of people to check in. The woman who took our bags suggested we explore Aloha Tower and then get in line around 1, but we could already see a few people in line and decided to go ahead and wait there.

Patty

Hi there Margu... I see where you stayed at the Outrigger. We are booked there for post Hawaii in October. We are staying at the Outrigger Waikiki which is directly across from the International Market. Originally our TA booked us incorrectly but all sorted out now. There are several Outriggers and for some reason she didnt know that! :eek:

Anyways, reason for my post. How did you find rooms there etc. Any info to share? We wont spend a great deal of time as we have rental a car, however, after all the brouhaha to get the right hotel, I hope it is nice. Thanks, Phyllis

Outrigger Waikkiki on the Beach was a very nice hotel. We booked city view, but ended up with partial ocean view. It was really nice being on the beach. If you want to eat dinner in Dukes at the hotel, you probably want to make reservations. We ate there for a late afternoon snack and it was good.

Patty

Archived