Where should we stay in Galveston - Before and After Cruise 7/1/07?

MinnieCruiser

Hello,

My husband and I will be on the 7/1/07 sailing of the Rhapsody of the Seas with our 12 year old son. I am looking for recommendations for a hotel for the night before our cruise and the night after our cruise. We would like to do a little sightseeing in Galveston while we are there. Do you have any suggestions for hotels, restaurants and activities?

MinnieCruiser:)

It depends on how much you want to spend on Hotel and how much time you have. If I was coming to Galveston my first choice would be Moody Gardens Hotel, it has the Moody Gardens you can walk to see website it is one of the best hotels in Galveston

http://www.moodygardens.com/

It also has the Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark next door.

The hotel would be about $150 a night but they offer cruise ship parking for free.

The water park also has a website.

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/gal/

This would be my choice but that is just me other people would have other idae.

Also check out the Clear Lake area. We're approximatley mid-way between Houston and Galveston (+/-30 minutes either way) and are centered around the Johnson Spacecraft Center. Your son might really enjoy Space Center Houston which offers lots of multi-media exhibits/IMAX/tram tour inside JSC and all of you would enjoy the Kemah Boardwalk. There are MANY hotels/motels in the area. Try Googling any of these to get more info.

Bare in mind that Galveston Island is a beach resort. July 4th falls on a Wednesday this year. Your cruise will leave and return on what might be the two busiest weekends of the summer in Galveston. If you plan to stay on the island you should book early and be prepared to spend top dollar.

If you think you will have had enough beach time on your cruise you may want to consider staying in downtown Houston in addition to the Clear Lake area.

Archived