Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers

Kindlychap

Can't give it two thumbs up but I will give it one. For one night you have a great location with easy access to Times Square, 5th Ave, Central Park and the subway. I hear the beds are VERY comfortable and rooms are on the small side. Staff are inconsistent.

I think you'll be fine.

Hi Kindlychap

I stayed there in September. Good points... LOCATION. A few minutes walk from Times Square, Fifth Avenue, Central Park, The Rockefeller Center, Broadway, Radio City, Grand Central, very clean rooms (not big but perfectly OK, good sized bathroom, in room safe, VERY comfortable bed), small gift shops. Bad points... big (48 floors) and impersonal, a bar that closed when I wanted a drink (lunchtime), a lounge that threw everyone out so they could clean it (mid afternoon) an over priced breakfast buffet, a foyer that was always crowded, constant chaos when coaches arrive from the airport or ships, the ability to lose luggage...

I'd stay there again because of where it is, but I wouldn't say "if you're in New York you MUST stay at..."

Hope this helps,

With very best wishes

Well, I've read the first three pages, and barely a good word there.

Will cancel and book something better.

I'd been hoping to get some Starwood points, but life isn't all about points and freebies, nice though they are.....

Thanks for the link.

It seems location is the prime draw. Well, I coped perfectly well last time going from Waldorf to Lincoln Center, which is my main priority, so I'll probably go back there......

Thanks very much to everyone.

I'd been hoping to get some Starwood points, but life isn't all about points and freebies, nice though they are.....

Thanks for the link.

It seems location is the prime draw. Well, I coped perfectly well last time going from Waldorf to Lincoln Center, which is my main priority, so I'll probably go back there......

Aside from Lincoln Center where do you need to be? We are stay at the Penn in one of the Penn 5000 rooms mainly because we are booked on a 715AM train back to NC leaving from under the Garden. At 630AM on a weekday in NYC you can't beat walking across the street to catch the train.

However I have heard the Hudson is especially nice. I suppose for only one day and if you are not a high maintenance person you might be happy at a lot of places.

Thanks for the link.

Aside from Lincoln Center where do you need to be? We are stay at the Penn in one of the Penn 5000 rooms mainly because we are booked on a 715AM train back to NC leaving from under the Garden. At 630AM on a weekday in NYC you can't beat walking across the street to catch the train.

However I have heard the Hudson is especially nice. I suppose for only one day and if you are not a high maintenance person you might be happy at a lot of places.

But wait, Kindlychap IS a high maintenance person ;)

I'm afraid Highcbob has a point!

The only reason that I'm staying overnight is that I wanted to see Zauberflote at the Met. I'd originally planned to fly straight home.

I'll take things very easy - I tire exceptionally easily and the whole trip is predicated on being a rest...... I may well not see anything other than the Met.

I am prepared for the barrage of flaming regarding New York being something special, but I have to confess that I feel the best part is the arrival in Manhatten.

Since making my original post I've rebooked and am now at the Waldorf=Astoria.

True.

But a nice one I hope!

Matthew...

Of course, anyone that loves caviar as much as I do cannot be all that bad :)

BTW, anywhere you are - ship, hotel etc, always ask to see the caviar jar/label first. A few eating establishments have not changed their menus and have tried to pass off that frightful American Sturgeon as Caspian sea 'Sevruga'. I busted the Fairmont just the other day.

Da nerv I tell ya!

Kindlychap,

You have made a very good choice with the Waldorf - it is one of my persohnal favourites & whilst I would not say I was overly 'fussy' re a Hotel choice I do like the Queens Grill on QE2 and love this Hotel where I have stayed on most of my 6 trips to New York. Even when I don't stay there I always go to the Bull & Bear Bar for drinks & a dinner at least on one night of my stay -the Dover Sole there is almost as good as that served in the Grill onboard - that being said it cannot beat one of the best meals I have had which was at the Oak Room Restaurant at the Plaza Hotel when it was still open. That being said I think whilst the location is quite good on Park Avenue

the location of the Sheraton & NY Towers is great & very hard to beat- I have stayed there only once after my QM2 Crossing last November and I had a comfortable room on the 7 th floor with reasonable sized bathroom & desk working area- a good choice of bars but nothing like the ambience of the Waldorf!!!! & a good breakfast - all included with Cunard transfer package. It is so close to Central park which I really appreciated. I would stay there again but still prefer the Waldorf!

I have also stayed at the New York Helmsley after a QE2 crossing - which whilst not terrible was very dated & housekeeping standards not very high albeit they served a very good buffet breakfast!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Kindlychap,

You have made a very good choice with the Waldorf - it is one of my persohnal favourites & whilst I would not say I was overly 'fussy' re a Hotel choice I do like the Queens Grill on QE2 and love this Hotel where I have stayed on most of my 6 trips to New York. Even when I don't stay there I always go to the Bull & Bear Bar for drinks & a dinner at least on one night of my stay -the Dover Sole there is almost as good as that served in the Grill onboard - that being said it cannot beat one of the best meals I have had which was at the Oak Room Restaurant at the Plaza Hotel when it was still open. That being said I think whilst the location is quite good on Park Avenue

the location of the Sheraton & NY Towers is great & very hard to beat- I have stayed there only once after my QM2 Crossing last November and I had a comfortable room on the 7 th floor with reasonable sized bathroom & desk working area- a good choice of bars but nothing like the ambience of the Waldorf!!!! & a good breakfast - all included with Cunard transfer package. It is so close to Central park which I really appreciated. I would stay there again but still prefer the Waldorf!

I have also stayed at the New York Helmsley after a QE2 crossing - which whilst not terrible was very dated & housekeeping standards not very high albeit they served a very good buffet breakfast!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I've stayed at the Waldorf before. It is well located, and I didn't have any real complaints.

For any hotel to be other than a disappointment after QE2 is quite an achievement though......

High Maintainance Matthew.....

Archived