Best time to cruise Alaska???

redglass

Red this question is asked alot over at the Ports of Call board. We have been there three times, July, Sept and end of May. We are going back this next year the 1st part of May. I find the end of May first part of June the best weather. I had rain in July off and on and the first part of Sept, was crisp and cold. Now with that said you just never know about weather.:D

Now as for the side of the ship your cabin would be on; it really depends on your itiniery. When you decide what itiiniery you choose then maybe we can help you, but I must say that anyside hs fantastic views of the inside passage; you just have to go out on deck to view everything. Go to the Ports of Call board and scroll to Alaska. There is a ton of info there; just the questions you asked on this post is all over there.

Marilyn

Timing of an Alaskan cruise depends upon what the cruiser values most. If you are looking for a real bargain, the early and late season sails are for you.

If you are looking for a cruise without a lot of kids, the same timing also holds.

If you are looking for the best shot at good weather, always a crapshoot, late May- early August is the way to go, but ya never know. These are also the cruises most likely to have a lot more kids onboard.

Most passengers are outside on deck when viewing glaciers and it really does not matter where your cabin is. I am inclined to suggest that if you are looking to save some $, an Alaskan intinerary is one where you can easily do just as well with an inside or outside cabin. But heck, if you have the money, go for it. Ships usually do a very slow 360 turn when at the glaciers so you will get a view from your veranda, no matter where it is located.

redglass,

Couple of questions:

When is the best time to cruise Alaska and why?

Does one side of the ship have a better view overall during an Alaskan cruise?

Yes. The best time to go to Alaska is between about mid-May and about mid-September, as that's when the ships are there.

And the side of the ship really does not matter. One side has a view of the mountains along the coastline, which is sceinc but from too far away to pick out wildlife ashore, and the other side has a view of the ocean where you are apt to see whales and other marine life if you are crossing the gulf. When the ship transits the narrower channels of the inside passage, both sides see land fairly close up. Overall, it's a wash.

But most ships have plenty of open deck space and lounges with large windows on both sides of the ship, so there's no shortage of places to watch the passing scenery on either side of the ship. Personally, I prefer to book an inside cabin, hang out in the public areas that have a great view, and apply the savings toward another cruise. As it turns out, the promenades are a much better place to view marine wildlife than a cabin balcony anyway because the promenades are much closer to the water.

Norm.

Couple of questions:

When is the best time to cruise Alaska and why?

Does one side of the ship have a better view overall during an Alaskan cruise?

Thanks.

Hi redglass,

I will try to answer the questions that you have asked. We have cruised Alaska in all seasons and by far prefer the first few cruises in May. Some of the reasons for recommending May are there is still a lot of snow on the mountains and the wildlife is becoming more active with the warmer weather. Alaska is not as busy if you are on one of the first cruises in the spring. The weather in Alaska is always unpredictable all season long so IMHO there is really not that much of an increased risk of bad weather in early May.

When cruising to Alaska I would recommend springing for a balcony cabin. The long days allow plenty of time to enjoy the fantastic scenery from you own private balcony from very early morning until after 11:00pm. For me the extra cost of a balcony is worth every penny when cruising in Alaska.

With the ever changing Alaskan scenery I really don't have much of a preference on which side of the ship that I am on, although some have a definite opinion of their preference, but as another poster mentioned generally you are so far out from shore that IMHO it does not make that much of a difference.

If you have the time I would recommend a one way cruise to or from Alaska and allow 5 to 7 days, before or after your cruise to explore Alaska on your own. I do know that Princess offers some great cruise and land tour packages if you don't want to rent a car. Your Alaskan experienced will be greatly enhanced if you can rent a car and drive around and enjoy the scenery close-up.

Hope this information helps.

Have a great cruise.

It's just a guess, but I would assume that the people you encounter will be MUCH happier to see you in May (when their towns have essentially been shut down for months) than in September, by which time they are probably sick to death of tourists...

Archived