Reservations at the Speciality Rest. on the Dawn

rufusrex

I've read these boards that it is important to make reservations at the speciality restauraunts upon embarkation or you run the risk of getting shut out. Is this true? Does this also hold on the 5:30 - 6:00 2 for 1 specials? We have 2 small children so we plan on eating early anyway, so we figured it would be a way to save a few bucks. We are in a mini-suite, so if does the concierge have more pull? Thanks

I've read these boards that it is important to make reservations at the speciality restauraunts upon embarkation or you run the risk of getting shut out. Is this true? Does this also hold on the 5:30 - 6:00 2 for 1 specials? We have 2 small children so we plan on eating early anyway, so we figured it would be a way to save a few bucks. We are in a mini-suite, so if does the concierge have more pull? Thanks

I don't believe the concierge has more pull in getting reservations, just better informed when others cancel their reservations so you can get yours at a better time. Passengers are making, switching, and cancelling dinner reservations all the time as the cruise unfolds.

We found that we could walk in most nights if we were happy to eat early, but that was not when they had the 1/2 price. If you want 1/2 price or to eat any later than 6:00, you definitely need a ressersation. We NEVER got into the Italian restaurant despite numerous attempts to get a reservation or walk in early. So the next time, I will book that the first day.

We usually make our reservations thru the concierge and have always been able to get what we want. I feel that the concierge can do things that we can't..If you think that is pull the I guess it is...:D ...You are paying for the concierge so use him...With any luck you will have Claudio..he's the best IMHO.

Just returned from 12/7 Dawn cruise. We dined at Italian restaurant one evening at 6:30. Most (almost 1/2) of the restaurant was empty but the hostess was turning people away without reservations, telling them the earliest they could dine was 8:30-9 p.m. When I inquired about the empty tables I was told they were "concierge" tables. Apparently they set aside a number of tables for that use when people are slow in making up their minds.

We never had a problem getting in although we did book at least one night the moment we got on the ship. Of our first two trips on the Dawn, I think we only missed out one night (the Italain place) and that was because we really waited until the last minute - I ended up going down and ordering spaghetti bolognese and they gave it to me to take back to my room!

We also had friends who had a mini-suite and their concierge was very helpful in getting reservations. We had tried to get into one of the speciality restaurants, couldn't, and then called them and they got a reservation for all four of us!

Bottom line, work with your concierge and try to book a couple days ahead if you can.

Have a great cruise!

Utilize the services of your concierge. Especially if you want to dine early when everyone is trying to get the early discount (2/1).

We do try to be considerate and not call him with last minute reservations.

If you know you want to dine early, inform him/her when you board or shortly thereafter.

Have a great cruise:)

Thanks for all the info. Can I ask one more question regarding the concierge? We plan on giving him a list of restaurants and times shortly after boarding (per all the great advice - thanks!) - what about priority tender tickets? Do we need to request those for each port, or do they give you tickets for all ports automatically? Also, are there any other services the concierge provides? And what is the general concensus on on an appropriate tip for these services? Sorry, I guess that was a lot more than 1 question :confused:

I suggest you put a list together for a few days at a time. Then you can see how it goes with the children and your excursions..

You can tell the concierge that you would like priority tickets for all the tendering ports at the same time.

Tipping.???..that is the question of the year..I would not even suggest how much to tip...do what you think is right based on the service you receive...The concierge can provide any number of services..the simple answer is just ask and it cant be done then he will say so.....

Just make sure you initiate the contact since the concierge tends to be quite busy but don't forget he is there to serve you too..

Have a great trip..

Archived