Montserrat?

OPSoccermom

For those who have been on the QM2 Southern itinerary...Does the ship pass by Monserrat?

Montserrat is very close to St Kitts, and last year we had the rather sad but amazing opportunity to pass by the island both at night and during the day. It is an absolutely stunning site to see the volcano erupting at night and the visible destruction during the daylight.

Tracy

OP,

I think it depends on which itinerary. There are different ones. Our Panama this year, of course, went nowhere near it. We had the fortune, or misfortune, I suppose to see it within days of its eruption. Gosh, how long ago was that? around ten years?

I forget. I am pretty sure we were on the Cunard Countess when we went by there.

I know we went to Barbados that trip. Martinique, Tortola? We have never been to St Kitts but it is nearby.

Karie,

who needs to go to St. Somwhere!

Monserrat is also visible on a clear day from Antigua from where my wife and I took a helicopter flight last month, when we were there on P&O Arcadia. Distance from Antigua is about 30 miles - 20 minutes in the chopper. Caribbean Helicopters operate the reguler trip which doesn't land on Monserrat but, even better, takes you really close to see the volcanic activity, which included very visible pyroclastic flows and a considerable ash cloud when we were there. The devastating effects of the 1995 and 1997 major eruptions are obvious. There is an observatory on Monserrat that constantly monitors activity. Their website is updated daily, with photographs. A search will find it easily. Well worth a look if you're interested.

K.

Archived