Ship Nicknames

CarlsbadSally

True Stephen,

But if you are talking purely passenger ships (not cargo or combi-liners), the M to Z point is pretty accurate,right?

Yes, but I don't think it was done 'by design'. After all, they are 'place names' ... except for the Vista ships and PRINSENDAM and more recently... EURODAM!

No matter, I still think HAL the best ship names in the industry!:)

Stephen

Yes, but I don't think it was done 'by design'. After all, they are 'place names' ... except for the Vista ships and PRINSENDAM and more recently... EURODAM!

No matter, I still think HAL the best ship names in the industry!:)

Stephen

Here's one more for you that is not a "place name" - Statendam, named after the early States of the Kingdom. There's also really no city or town called Ryndam. That was "just" a dam in the river Rijn or Rhine

Found a couple more "dyk's" also:

Almdyk

Appingedyk

Bilderdyk

Binnendyk

Dalerdyk

Damsterdyk

Delftdyk

Dongedyk

Kerkedyk

Poeldyk

Schiedyk

Sloterdyk

Soestdyk

Sommelsdyk

Plenty of dyk's/dikes in Holland for Peter, the lockkeeper’s son from "Hans Brinker and the silver skates" to stick his finger in to safe the country from being flooded;) If you ever have a chance to visit two cities in Holland, Haarlem and Spaarndam (great name for a new ship, btw;) ) you'll find statues of Peter!

Vic,

You reminded me of something I read. During the depression, when the grand old ships were no longer used to cross the ocean, maintenance became very lax. The Berengaria got the nickname "Bargain-area". A sad end for a grand ship.

In better times the Majestic got the nickname "Magic-stick".

Then there was the Imperator's nickname. Because it was top heavy and had a pemanent list, it was called the Limperator.

Most of these nickname came from the dock hands, who were very fond of nicknames for all ships.

Thanks Sean!

I remember the "Bargain Area" very well ... fine vessel.

At least for now we have "The Big Back Pig" and "The Big Black Bus" to provide us with many memories.

And here's another one for you .... the Kaiser Wihelm III had a very memorable nickname - "Rolling Billy" :D

Have a great New Years!

We cruised last with RCL and I was over the other side of the board and they refered to a ship called the "Mustard of the Seas" the perfect ship. What I see here there is not one perfect ship they all seem to be "perfect" in one way or the other. So why nickname them?:confused: Looking foward to 3/31 Noordam.:D

Tom

Note to self ...

Have to ask Stephen on the origins of "Big Black Pig" and "Big Black Bus". (*bus* seems self-explanatory ... but pig ?? :confused: )

;) :D

Not a clue where they came from!

I think the name used most for the QM2 is 'Scary Mary'!!!!

And the two Disney ships...

DISNEY WONDER and the DISNEY BLUNDER...

or

DISNEY MAGIC and the DISNEY TRAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen

Here's one more for you that is not a "place name" - Statendam, named after the early States of the Kingdom. There's also really no city or town called Ryndam. That was "just" a dam in the river Rijn or Rhine

Found a couple more "dyk's" also:

Almdyk

Appingedyk

Bilderdyk

Binnendyk

Dalerdyk

Damsterdyk

Delftdyk

Dongedyk

Kerkedyk

Poeldyk

Schiedyk

Sloterdyk

Soestdyk

Sommelsdyk

Plenty of dyk's/dikes in Holland for Peter, the lockkeeper’s son from "Hans Brinker and the silver skates" to stick his finger in to safe the country from being flooded;) If you ever have a chance to visit two cities in Holland, Haarlem and Spaarndam (great name for a new ship, btw;) ) you'll find statues of Peter!

How on earth did I miss that lot! Too hasty making up the list!

I agree with SPAARNDAM... great name. Perhaps on a sistership for EURODAM.

Just finished a bowl of excellent 'Hollandse Snert'. Made by self. (Ruth's day off from the galley!) Much better than the heavy 'mush' available on board.... mine is like they used to make on the old (1938) Nw Amsterdam!

Stephen

Thanks Sean!

I remember the "Bargain Area" very well ... fine vessel.

At least for now we have "The Big Back Pig" and "The Big Black Bus" to provide us with many memories.

And here's another one for you .... the Kaiser Wihelm III had a very memorable nickname - "Rolling Billy" :D

Have a great New Years!

I hadn't heard the "Rolling Billy" nickname.....interesting.

Old ships is one of my favorite reading topics.:)

How on earth did I miss that lot! Too hasty making up the list!

I agree with SPAARNDAM... great name. Perhaps on a sistership for EURODAM.

Just finished a bowl of excellent 'Hollandse Snert'. Made by self. (Ruth's day off from the galley!) Much better than the heavy 'mush' available on board.... mine is like they used to make on the old (1938) Nw Amsterdam!

Stephen

Can't beat a good cup of "Snert" like Mum made in the old country on a cold day!:) That, and a plate of "hutspot" ("hotchpotch) and you'd be good to go, brave the elements, find a dyke with a hole and water seeping through it, and stick your finger in it (to save the country!;) )

And then there's humor columnist Dave Barry's cruise on what he called the "Restaurant of the Seas."

Good one!

And a few more.... almost forgotten...

SONG OF NORWAY............. SONG OF NO WAY.

NORDIC PRINCE ............. NO DICK PRINCE

SUN VIKING .................. SLUM VIKING

ROYAL VIKING SUN ...... ROYAL VIKING SLUM

Stephen

The S.S. Independence and S.S. Constitution were known as the "Indy" and the "Connie".

I read the other day that the latest RCCL ship will be called the Independence of the Seas. I also read that the S.S. Independence was renamed in mothballs while awaiting the breakers. I'm guessing this was to avoid any confusion between the two.

I personally wish RCCL had picked another name for their newbuild and that NCL had sunk the Indy with her original name next to her sister off Hawaii.

The S.S. Independence and S.S. Constitution were known as the "Indy" and the "Connie".

I read the other day that the latest RCCL ship will be called the Independence of the Seas. I also read that the S.S. Independence was renamed in mothballs while awaiting the breakers. I'm guessing this was to avoid any confusion between the two.

I personally wish RCCL had picked another name for their newbuild and that NCL had sunk the Indy with her original name next to her sister off Hawaii.

The "Indy" is gonna be scrapped ???

That's so sad ... what a beautiful ship. Nice lines, classic, a true ocean liner ... like her dear-departed sister . :(

May they rest in peace

I haven't seen an official announcement from NCL, but that is the rumor. As of last month, she was berthed at Pier 70 in San Francisco and is deteriorating rapidly. As long as she and the S.S. United States still exist (both owned by NCL last I knew), I keep hoping for a new lease on life for them both. But I suspect the chances aren't good at this point.

If any of you have an update on this, please post!

That's so sad ... what a beautiful ship. Nice lines, classic, a true ocean liner ... like her dear-departed sister . :(

May they rest in peace

My first cruise was on the Indy. It was owned by American Hawaii at the time. I still have a shirt with the cruise line logo on it. We really enjoyed the cruise and I realized then that cruising is the way to travel. I remember all of the Grace Kelly memoribilia on board. It's sad that the old liners must pass away at some point.

Nicknames for ships of all types have been around for eons.

I can't see why giving a vessel an affectionate monicker would make one uptight. Case in point ... the crew on Berengaria called her the "Berry"

Queen Elizabeth the "Lizzie" ... QM the "Merry"

Who cares what they call the ship? You're on board having a good time,right?

;)

Always the voice of reason!!! :)

I noticed that *some* who dislike nicknames and prefer that a ship's name be spelled out use the abbreviation HAL.

Archived