Has anyone flown

SUSANITA

This may seem like a ridiculous question, but has anyone ever just shown up at the airport and tried to fly standby one day early? :)

Our flights are scheduled for early Saturday morning. We now really want to go on Friday, but not if it is going to cost us $100 per ticket. USAirs website says you can fly standby on the "same day", but I'm wondering if anyone has ever shown up a day early and gotten a flight? I've seen them do this on Southwest, a lady was three days early and they let her on. Anyone?? Thanks!

Geez Louise! I accidentally hit "enter" before I finished my thread topic Title, sorry! I'm pretty sure some of you have indeed flown. LOL!!

I meant to say "has anyone flown STANDBY one day early. " Hee hee, sorry!

Geez Louise! I accidentally hit "enter" before I finished my thread topic Title, sorry! I'm pretty sure some of you have indeed flown. LOL!!

I meant to say "has anyone flown STANDBY one day early. " Hee hee, sorry!

LOL! I have to say, it made me laugh when I saw your post. I thought, oh no, it's like one of those "Has anyone ever been on a Carnival cruise?" or "Has anyone ever had early dining?" questions that I'm always tempted to respond to and say, no, I'm sure no one has ever done that. :D

Sorry I can't answer your real question, but just wanted to say thanks for making me giggle! ;)

My son does a lot of business traveling. If he finds himself able to take an earlier flight, he shows up at the airport and goes standby. Of course, he lives in Chicago, and there are a gazillion flights to and from O'Hare a day. He has gotten on every time. If you don't live too far from the airport, I'd go for it.

Jerseygirl,

One of the reasons why it's easier for a business traveler to do this is because for the most part business travelers are paying a higher price for less restrictive tickets and also because most business travelers have many miles on their frequent flyer programs. At least this is the case for my situation.

I HAVE to purchase my tickets from the corporate travel site even when expedia or airline sites have much lower fares. The plus side of this is when I miss a flight or have to change my dates of travel or even cancel, I don't get charged additional fee's. If I do show up and need to fly on standby on my favorite airline, my MVP frequent flyer status puts me at the head of the line.

To answer the OP's question, I don't know. You may want to call the airline and ask.

Though my only experience on this was showing up to check in for a flight, and discovering I had accidently booked my return flight for the same day of the month... the FOLLOWING month (still not sure how I managed that). They moved me up, but I had to pay a rebooking fee. Depends upon the restrictions on your tickets.

Furry

Years ago when back to the midwest for a relatives funeral my then wife and I, a little perturbed at our treatment back in my home town, just jumped in our rented car and drove across Illinois, turned in the rental car, got a hotel room and showed up at the airport for our flight home - - - - A DAY EARLY ! ! :(

We had no idea....we were in shock....LOL :confused:

The man at the gate said "hang on, don't bother me every 5 minutes and I'll see if I can get you on this flight"

We patiently waited over in a corner, noticing every once in a while the man looking over at us. Finally, he thanked us for waiting so patiently and said he managed to get us on this flight (we expected by his tone that we would most likely be separated during the flight)

To our amazement, FIRST CLASS ! ! (the only time in our lives we had been in 1st class). :D

Just one letdown. The flight was only to Denver, then back into the corral for the rest of the trip. :( We laughed all the way though. :D

We live a quick 8 minutes expressway drive from the airport. They have free 1/2 hour short term parking. I think what we will do is show up on Friday (if we are still in the mood to go early) as we will be fully packed, kids will be at Grandmas and we will be ready to go. The worst that can happen is they say no and we go out for the evening, and possibly they will say yes. I think it all depends on how full the Friday flight is, and who is working behind that desk! :)

Hi Sue, I work for USAIR and the "rule" is standby DAY ONLY you are confirmed.

So it would prob cost you 100.00 more each.

Now, I'm not saying they won;t let you on with no cost, but they arent supposed to allow that.

What city are you flying out of?

vicki

It's hard to go standby the day before even as a business traveller unless you have a full fare ticket. The reason is that there is the chance that a ticket the prior day could have cost more. (You could have missed one of the cutoff days by 1 (14, 21) when purchasing it which can greatly increase your ticket cost.) I'd call before wasting my time at the airport. Most airlines charge $25 just to go standby the day of.

Archived