help plan our big day

tom e boy

Thought about it and think, for our 25th, my DW & I would have fun driving around the island and explore on our own. find a mountain top eatery for a nice cocktail and some scenery, some beach and shopping time would be nice.... would you reccomend

1.) a jeep or convertable car

2.) top 2 beaches to see,swim

3.) nice place with view and a fun tropical atmosphere for a drink

Islander, I will hope you can advise , no moped for me, but whats your thought? Am I in for a rough time on your roads. Is traffic unreal? help and advice is needed

Hello,

A jeep would be good. Beaches, if you are headed to the East End you could stop in at Sapphire, then hop over to Secret Harbor, perhaps Cowpet or even Bluebeards - all within short driving distances of each other. You can read about these and other beaches at http://www.*****/stthomas/beaches_stt/.

Not too many mountain top restaurants with view and those that come to mind aren't open for lunch. Drawing a blank on this one for daytime... Paradise Point, the poolside bar at Bluebeards. Not on a mountain side but Fungis at Point Pleasant has nice view of the water and tropically setting as its just over the water. At Secret Harbor, Blue Moon Cafe is a nice spot for a drink on the beach.

Traffic that you might encounter would be around the cruise ship pier, during arrival and just before departure times. Also downtown depending on number of ships in port and time of day (lunch time, end of work day...).

--Islander

http://www.*****

Hello Islander, once again thanks for your help. What do you think of the following: Triumph arrives 8AM 4-24-07 ** Pick up jeep across the street at Budget 10am ** Head N, to Mountain Top, then Magens Bay, head east over to Coki, around the east coast visit Saphire, then past Redhook, next Paridise Point for a drink and return the jeep by 4pm, Budget closes at 5pm. Do I have enough time for this road trip and allowing 1 hour at Magens and 1 at Coki.. Did I miss anything thats a must see? Somewhere in this trip is a stop at Drakes seat.

You are brave to drive in St. Thomas, lol! I say that b/c the roads are all very steep & they wind sharply. There were several times on our tour bus that I was so afraid that we would clip other vehicles. I also remember the traffic being pretty congested...a lot of people blowing their horns. I'm not trying to "bust your bubble"...just give you a realistic idea/my opinion. You'll have a great time there...it's a beautiful island. Definitely check out Sapphire Beach if you have time.

DH, DD and I did a land-based vacation on STT and STJ this summer and it took us no time to adjust to driving on the opposite side of the road, I think it just took one time for DH to pull out on the wrong side of the road with a truck coming towards us to get him straightened out in a hurry!!:D You'll have a lot more freedom renting your own vehicle so I say go for it.;)

HAPPY NEW YEAR :p Thanks Jean, Islander has mentioned that the time in which I will be on the roads is good, 10 AM to 4PM, I am a confident driver, and Im still gonna give it a go. I will be the one going slow :eek:

ISLANDER: Doable sounds great, being a virgin to St. Thomas, the route sounds like I have grasped some of the basic "tourest on a schedule" hot spots, do you agree? The West coast and St Johns will have to be another time. St John sounds like a paridise.

Archived