Anyone worry about missing the ship in Belize??

mike_at_sea

Hi, All!! My DH is worried about taking a tour with Coral Breeze, but is worried about missing the ship if the boat breaks down or something. Is there anything to worry about??? We considered taking the ship's tours, but the NCL snorkeling tours say there is a weight limit, but doesn't say how heavy you can be. We are both overweight, but love to snorkel anyone know if that is a problem with Coral Breeze? DH really worries about missing the ship. I have talked him into things like renting our own jeeps in Grand Cayman, etc., but on land you can leave yourself lots of time. On the water you are at the mercy of the boats. Any advice?

Thanks!

Cyndi

Cyndi,

We used Coral Breeze in August and felt very comfortable with the timing. We did the Shark/Ray Alley Tour and we were back to Belize City about 90 minutes before the last tender to the ship. They seem like they are on top of things and that if there was a breakdown of the boat, they'd have another right there.

I can't say enough great things about this company. We loved the tour and everything they did for us.

Go and enjoy!

Hi, All!! My DH is worried about taking a tour with Coral Breeze, but is worried about missing the ship if the boat breaks down or something. Is there anything to worry about??? We considered taking the ship's tours, but the NCL snorkeling tours say there is a weight limit, but doesn't say how heavy you can be. We are both overweight, but love to snorkel anyone know if that is a problem with Coral Breeze? DH really worries about missing the ship. I have talked him into things like renting our own jeeps in Grand Cayman, etc., but on land you can leave yourself lots of time. On the water you are at the mercy of the boats. Any advice?

Thanks!

Cyndi

My DW and I were there last month and also did the shark/ray alley with Coral Breeze. I think that everybody has it in the back of their mind that they could miss the ship, I know we also thought about that. If a boat breaks down they will get on the radio and send another one. Also if it is possible that they would miss the last tender they could take you directly to the ship, it is within sight of the port of Belize. CB never mentioned anything about there being a weight limit to us, you might contact them at coralbreezelimiteddotcom and ask them about that. They were wonderful to us and we had a great day snorkeling and learning about the things that we saw.

If anyone was to miss their ship I am certain that it would be all over these boards that it happened, I have not heard of that so far. That would be the kind of incident that could put a tour operator out of business and they know that. Just relax, leave the worrying to them and go have a day that you will enjoy and never forget. Heni & Mario were most wonderful to us, they stressed safety, pointed out things of interest and were there looking out for all of us all of the time. If you scare yourselves out of this tour, then get back on the ship and talk to people that went on it, you will be kicking yourselves, just enjoy.

Randy

Okay,

Not to add to any nightmares, but a family did miss the ship during our cruise in August. It was in Belize and they hired a taxi on their own and the Dad was confused about all the time changes. (no fault to any tour operator)

Right before we were to leave, the captain announced that five people had yet to check in on the ship. If they got to the pier in the next 20 minutes, they would be able to catch the pilot boat and meet us out at the pilot station. (Since the ships have to strictly follow the channels in and out of Belize, the local pilot is the one who steers the ship.)

Just as we were leaving, the captain announced that they had in fact made it to the pier and would meet the ship at the pilot house. The captain invited us all topside to welcome this group back onboard. We all watched as a boat followed our ship and finally caught up to us at the pilot house. It was a family of five with three boys. The boys looked to be about 10-12-14. The boat came up alongside the ship; the ship tossed over a rope with 5 life vests and each person tied the rope around their waist as they climbed up the small deck to the ship. Of course they got a big round of applause from those of us watching.

The Dad told me that they had to hire the boat to bring them out to the ship. He was very upset that they did not have any identification with them or major credit cards. Had they not made it to the pier, they would really have had some major problems. I heard from someone else that this probably cost them $150 EACH.

So, yes. People have missed the ship in Belize. The lesson learned is to make sure that you book with a reputable company for a tour and make sure you stay on ships time as you have been instructed. Also, make sure you take at least one major credit card with you and have your identification.

Bottom line. Go and have the best time of your life! Anyone can miss the ship anywhere.

Enjoy!

When RCI cancelled our snorkeling tour due to inclement weather in Belize Dec 4/06 (Explorer of The Seas) we toured the town in the AM and then booked a similar tour after lunch with Fab Tours Ltd. They are right on the main Pier of town, and Daniel A. Fabo is the Manager (info below).

The trip was fabulous and there was NO way we could miss our ship as Fab's boats easily top 40mph and the ship merely putters along the tricky channels at about 11mph. Plus Daniel knows all the tender captains as well and can have them stay at the pier for a few minutes longer in case one of his speedboats is running a little late.

A bonus is that Fab also took us to their private island...very nice.

A caveat: Always be firm with any tour operator as to your ship's departure times, and always ALWAYS be realistic about catching the 2nd or 3rd from last tender back to your ship. If you keep making plans that involve catching the very last tender the odds will eventually catch up with you. We left behind 2 people in Cozumel...

Be sure to chat with others on the same tour while you're there, and find out what percentage are from your ship. If the bulk of the tourists are all from your ship you can pretty much relax knowing that you'll make it back stress-free.

http://www.fabtoursbelize.com e-mail fabtoursltd@yahoo.com

Happy Cruising!

Alan

Thank you all soooooo much!! Today DH said "OK go ahead and book Coral Breeze." YEAH!! I will make sure to give him a few drinks along the way to keep him relaxed. ;) Maybe I can even get him to leave his watch in the cabin!! LOL

Thank You!!

Cyndi

I'd probably bring along the watch, making sure it's set to ship's time. One point the CD on Legend made to all passengers on our recent cruise - NEVER ask a local what time it is. Carry your own watch. Be careful with cellphones too, b/c they will change to local time all on their own. Try to allow some leeway - and your tour operators will as well, hoping you can get some shopping done after it's over - and then if something crazy happens, breakdown, etc., you'll have the extra time built in. Also, as long as you are in the tender line by the last time, they will keep bringing the boats back until the line is gone. They won't intentionally leave you behind, but they won't wait either.

We would have missed the ship in Belize on our first cruise if we had not remembered the ship time. We were booking a local flight to San Pedro and we were going by Belizean time....wrong time...right before we booked it I thought of the ships time. Fortunately we went with that. If we hadn't we would have missed the ship for sure. And...the taxi driver wasn't any help...he was like "you're fine...you're fine"...no we wouldn't have been fine... But the taxi guy did pick us back up at the airport when we arrived...no other taxi in sight. It was a pretty rinky dink airport according to US Standards. In fact...the pilot read a book and a passenger sat in the copilots seat!

Archived