Differences between P&O & Princess

Kittycat

And another thought!! (how did you guess I'm bored at work?!)

Have you thought about booking direct through a US TA? Just checked buycruises - Radiance of the Seas B2B east/west caribbean 28/11/04 $1301, flights on continental to Miami £341, you'll get a 3* hotel in downtown Miami through Priceline for around £28 per room Haven't got a calculator with me but I think that works out around £1050pp (larger outside cabin) and a little cheaper for an inside cabin

I'm sure you could get even cheaper deals on different lines using buycruises but I like the Radiance and RCI positively welcome "foreign bookings"

All a matter of tase and preferences.

Silver service on P&O but food plain and very British, not much variety or flair but excellent standard.

We found general service standards higher on Princess but as America corner the market as service capital of the world then we would expect no less than a little extra with the American owned lines.

Personally we prefer a more mixed age group so we found P&O a little staid. We also like the little extras such as the chocs on the pillow, bath robes etc etc.

The main thing that we found however is that on the P&O ship we were subjected to the fight for sun beds and the rise at dawn to reserve one routine. We have NEVER witnessed this draedful behaviour on the other cruise lines but maybe we were unlucky on the cruise that we chose.

You will enjoy your cruise whatever you choose. They are all super.

Have a good holiday

Suekay,

We are currently looking at 2004, 2005 seems a long way off I have yet to get my head round early booking.

I have looked at at US booking for an Alaskan trip but prices did not work out cheaper. There are always cruise deals but flight/transfers and hotel costs need to be added. In practice I think it comes down to the flights costs which for east coast are a lot cheaper with more options.

I use ***** to keep an eye on pricing(I like the web site) but they no longer price RCI for UK registered users(I also have a US registation) Since we know when we are going I should realy check out flights and see which cruises we can fit in. We could happily spend a few days in Florida and split the cruise over 2-3 shorter trips and try out some different ships but the point of the cruise is visit more places with a single pack/unpack. I guess we could just book the flight and pick up a cheap cruise nearer the time There is bound to be something even though it does clash with thanksgiving. Thanks for reminding me of this option.

themommy

On the service front it is all a matter of taste. The American Style of service tends to be "in your face" and can seem very false which probably stems from the 20% tip culture. The worst service we have had on any ship was the very American NCL Dream at easter and this was not individuals but very poor managment in the restaurant doing thinks like swaping waiters part way through a meal.

We are not really sunbed people but if I want one and there is one only ocupied by STUFF and has been empty for a while then it is MINE.

insidecabin

I like ***** site for checking prices as well, and was most put out when they stopped showing the Brits all the deals. I emailed them at the time and they were most apologectic but said they were no longer allowed to show all the lines to UK residents. There is a way to get round it but I won't give details on this board in case the loophole gets blocked!

We thought about booking flights for next year, then getting a cheap cruise nearer the time....but decided on the Oceana instead.

We booked flights for Dec 2004 back in Jan when I saw them at only £269pp.

themommy

We all like plain food so we'll probably be fine food-wise on P&O, but I'll miss the chocs on my pillow. I might have to take some with me so I can pretend!

suekeelan@hotmail.com

Did a quick look around and can get a fly/drive charter for about £250 but it is sat/sat and is probably Orlando which would be ok for port canaveral.

Something will turn up we have done the med twice this year and want a change and would like something a bit more upmarket. There are some offers for 1week trips I see Celebrity Horizon at 999(13n) and the Marco Polo trans. is 799(16n). One of the reasons for trying P&O is we want to do a family cruise next year exUK with kids so it would give us a chance to check out the kids facilities.

Since we are flexable I can play the waiting game and if nothing come up we will have more money to spend next year. We are also keeping an eye on the 4night black watch 22oct for a price drop.

"but I'll miss the chocs on my pillow. I might have to take some with me so I can pretend!"

We had chocs on our pillows every night on the Oceana this year! You might get lucky or you could ask the cabin steward.

How sad am I? I've kept two heart chocs from my cruise last year, which I keep permanently by my bed at home. Haven't found a family member willing to turn my bed covers down every night though!! :D

Archived