Latest News Here Aboard Wind Surf

gymswim

Am presently aboard the Wind Surf and want to report the latest news. We advise anyone already booked on a cruise soon to check with Seattle HQ first before leaving home and ask for the status of the marina repairs and zodiac boats to determine if both are in full operation.

There is good news and bad news. The good news first: Overall, the Wind Surf ship itself is the best it's ever been. A number of major improvements have been made throughout the ship, including new HVAC. The service and food have never been better during the 29 times we have sailed on Windstar ships. We are looking forward to our second week on our back to back cruise itinerary.

The new beds and linens are the most comfortable bedding I have ever experienced on any ship anywhere. Having I pods and new oversized sinks, new granite counters and all new shower fixtures in the cabins are wonderful improvements. Windstar ships retain the distinction of having the best showers of any ship afloat.

Now for some bad news: Since the ship returned to the Caribbean from dry dock in Europe, the marina door is still non operational. The crew is waiting for the contractor who just refitted the door in europe to make repairs here in the Caribbean. To make matters worse, two of the newly replaced zodiac boats are still missing motors and remain unusable. As a consequence, the water sports activities and diving program have been adversely impacted. We have been forced to use land based dive operators and shlepp all our gear ashore.

We advise passengers who plan to sail soon to check with Seattle HQ to get the latest update on the status of these repairs.

Apart from this We still consider Windstar to be our favorite cruise line. Apart from the marina and the zodiac problems, the ship has never been in better condition or looking as clean and comfortable. The crew and staff work tirelessly to cater to the passengers every whim and their service has been flawless.

There has still been no further word yet from anyone at Windstar about when contractors are expected to arrive aboard ship to get the Marina back into operation. I expect it will be several weeks at least before the two zodiac boats become operational, since there is more work to be done setting them up with steering mechanisims etc even after the motors eventually arrive (which they have not); but that is just a wild guess on my part. Before disembarking, many passengers today wrote unfavorable comments about this situtation in their surveys at the end of their cruise.

We dock in Barbados Sat, December 30th and hope to receive an update on the marina after we set sail tomorrow night.

Gymswim, thanks for that update. We are also on the Surf, Barbados, BTB, embarking 18 March. As a diver, I sure hope they get that marina door and the zodiacs operational by the time we sail. I have a question about the ship to airport transfers at debark. From other posts, I have learned that Seattle says you can make the 730am flight on AA (we are booked on it!) because the ship docks at 430am. As a seasoned carribbean traveler I know that the locals do not move very fast and especially not at that time of day. Since you are staying on for the second week, you were probably not up at that hour, but I wonder if anything was said/done about the need to get off the ship quickly to make that flight? Thanks for your observations. This is #12 for us on WS.

Jim

Hi Jim:

We are aboard the Windsurf in our second back to back cruise and they still do not have the Marina or the two new zodiac boats operatational. Still no announcement made by the hotel manager or captain as to when they will be functional.

We're sailing off St Lucia today on the Surf and I checked with reception desk here about your 7:30am flight out of Barbados in March. They advised me to tell you to change your flight...Anything beginning at 8:30am or later. I know last week Barbados agents were very slow giving our ship clearance when the ship docked. The earliest passengers disembarked the ship was at 8am even thoughtthe ship docked before 6am! Be sure to buy your ground transfers through Windstar. That will help get you out to your flight.

Bill

We're sailing off St Lucia today on the Surf and I checked with reception desk here about your 7:30am flight out of Barbados in March. They advised me to tell you to change your flight...Anything beginning at 8:30am or later. I know last week Barbados agents were very slow giving our ship clearance when the ship docked. The earliest passengers disembarked the ship was at 8am even thoughtthe ship docked before 6am! Be sure to buy your ground transfers through Windstar. That will help get you out to your flight.

Bill

Bill I believe you were scheduled to arrive at 6 a.m.? Please verify. Ship arrival time is changed now. I believe reception may not be aware of this. Arrival is now at 4:30 a.m.to accommodate a disembarktion for the 7:30 flight due to airlines with very limited flights. This would allow for ship clearance by 6 am and catching our 7:30 flights. Thanks

Still no further word to those of us aboard on when the marina will be operational, or when they expect the two zodiac boats motors to arrive so they can be used.

As to our expected time of arrival in Barbados, they're saying we will dock at 4:30am but that the inspectors from Barbados seem to take there own sweet time about showing up so begin the immigration process aboard the ship! I know we had a problem last week which resulted in some passengers being delayed getting off the ship.

Bill

Beth-

Was wondering if you could keep us posted on the ship dock and disembarktion in Barbados. Many of us need to catch the 7:30 a.m. flight out. Windstar corporate office has verified in writing we should be fine to catch this yet what is actually recorded in this post indicates not.

Just wondering if maybe the prior dock time of 6 a.m. which recently moved back to 4:30 a.m. has not caught up with the customs people in Barbados, and if they will be arriving a bit earlier to accomodate us being able to get off timely.

Thanks Beth...an update would really be appreciated.

Would you also let me know if at disembarkation the ship purchased transfer left people sitting at the terminal, or if they transported passengers to a hotel for the time awaiting flight times? I remember year before last, if you purchased a ship transfer, they took you to a hotel with your luggage for the day. A bus arrived to pick you up and take you to airport approx. 2 hrs before flight. Last year, we stayed in terminal for 2-3 hrs (it was Sunday and everything was closed) then transported to airport and arrived 2 hrs before the ticket desk opened. It really was horrible. I am trying to determine how they are doing it now and if I need to figure out other arrangements. Thanks for the help!

Bill,

Please keep us posted on this crazy issue. It seems that corporate office and the ships staff are not communicating very well. The loosers will be those of us booked on the 0730 flight, WITH THE APPROVAL OF SEATTLE CORPORATE OFFICE. Show this and other posts to reception and see what they say now.

Thanks,

Jim

PS. I apologize for interrupting your cruise with our problems!

I am still getting the same response from corporate when I inquired again on 1/2/07 -

"The information I have from our Shore Operations Department is that the ship arrives at 4:30 a.m. and we require 3 hours for transfers. A 7:30 a.m. flight should be fine."

also offering more insite--very helpful

"I really can’t say why they said what they said. It’s possible they were on a sailing with the 6:00 docking time. Another possible explanation is that we disembark passengers according to who has the earliest flights. Passengers with a 7:30 flight would be the first to go through customs and disembark. They may have been assigned an 8:00 a.m. disembarkation because they had a later flight."

I feel like we will make our flights fine. I think it will be okay for everyone.

hipgirl,

My sail date is 18 March with a debark of 1 April. If you are debarking Barbados before those dates, would you give me the benefit of your experience, and I will do the same for you, if I sail before you.

Thanks. Jim

Here's hoping the customs officials in Barbados start work awfully early. I can't imagine them agreeing to clear the ship at 4:30AM, to be honest. I would have thought that maybe 6AM might be their earliest start.

The response from Seattle that they use a three hour rule of thumb seems less than helpful. Surely the time of arrival has some impact on that. Doesn't the work ethic in the Islands tends to be a bit more laid back than our "frantic Americans" pace?

Fingers and toes will be crossed that you all make your flights.

hipgirl,

My sail date is 18 March with a debark of 1 April. If you are debarking Barbados before those dates, would you give me the benefit of your experience, and I will do the same for you, if I sail before you.

Thanks. Jim

Sure Jim...I am sailing before you...I think it will be fine. A reason they are arriving at 4:30 I am told is to accomodate the early flights. Windstar understands the need to accomodate...since flights are limited.

Maybe you should inquire with windstar too and post here. See if you get the same response. Also, I noticed the windstar rep is cc. to someone...don't know who...but messages are trying to travel.

Hi Jim et al:

When the Surf arrived in Barbados, the ship docked at 4am and everything went smoothly. By the time we finished our breakfast in the Verranda, we were called to the Windsurf Lounge at 5:15am and were immediately cleared for departure by the local Barbados officials. Windstar's local ground agents did everything perfectly. We had arranged through Windstar in advance for transport to the airport for our 8:30AM flight to MIA. We arrived at the airport ahead of our luggage by approximately 6:20AM. We only had to wait about 10 minutes for our baggage to be delievered from the ship and we were checked in for our flight on AA by 6:45am.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Just back from sailing windsurf 3/4-3/11/07. Can verify that that catching a 7:30 a.m flight was no problem at all. Windsurf crew and barbados customs had us at the airport with plenty of time to spare. The process was smooth, organized, and stress free. Barbados customs was happy to accomodate such a early disembarktion (5 am or so) and even did it with a great big smile. Transportation to the airport was well planned by the cruise staff and everything went perfect.

progress.gif

Just back from sailing windsurf 3/4-3/11/07. Can verify that that catching a 7:30 a.m flight was no problem at all. Windsurf crew and barbados customs had us at the airport with plenty of time to spare. The process was smooth, organized, and stress free. Barbados customs was happy to accomodate such a early disembarktion (5 am or so) and even did it with a great big smile. Transportation to the airport was well planned by the cruise staff and everything went perfect.

progress.gif

hi, saw your posting about the Windstar to Airport trip. Can you please tell me how you were able to arrange that trip? also were there taxis etc around at that time you could have taken if you had not arranged it through Windstar? we are going on the same trip April 1.

thanks,

vim

Archived