Transfers to /from Viking Burgundy

Lexcruiser

We will be taking the Viking cruise in October from Chalon sur Saone to Avignon and need information regarding transfers to / from the boat. We can arrange a transfer with Viking on the day of departure. I assume that is by van / bus but that appears to be a long trip. Would it be better to go by TGV, but how difficult is it to handle the suitcases? What about flying into Lyon and transferring from there? On the return, Viking refers to a transfer to the Marseille airport, but that seems to be a 1 to 1 1/2 hour trip and most flights leave early to make connections in Paris. Is that really feasible. I would appreciate any advice, observations, thoughts, etc. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The cruise is very enjoyable. It's an easy taxi ride (less than 10 minutes) to both the Chalon sur Saone and Avignon Train Stations. There is the TGV (high speed train ) from Charles De Gaulle Airport Terminal to and from Avignon and to and from Lyon (you would need to take a regular train to Lyon from Chalon sur Saone). We have done both. I would reserve my TVG train ticket prior to arrivng in France at Charles De Gaulle - we didn't and ended up needing to get a hotel at the airport and take the TGV the next day.

• 2 months later...

I live in France and have just dropped my parents off at Rennes staion to go to Avignon TGV for this cruise.

All TGV trains must have prebooked reservations.

Go to www.sncf.fr

You will not be able to book for more than 3 months in advance, but if you register with them they will send details of when it is possible to book, with all sorts of offers. I hope this helps.

Archived