Rogue Waves

Mary Ellen

All you transatlantic crossers take note! ;)

There were some photos posted some months ago (I'm sure long gone with the upgrading of the boards) that showed the bridge windows of some ship (the Rotterdam????) being pounded by water.

All you transatlantic crossers take note! ;)

There were some photos posted some months ago (I'm sure long gone with the upgrading of the boards) that showed the bridge windows of some ship (the Rotterdam????) being pounded by water.

It's was last year in August on the Rotterdam's crossing. A couple of posters on this board were on the ship when it happened, but I don't believe it was a rogue wave - it was very rough/high seas.

I wouldnt spend too much time worrying about rogue waves. I was in the Navy for 26 years and spent countless days at sea and I never saw anything other than ordinary rough seas and the rare typhoon.

I would guess your chances of being on a ship that gets hit by a rogue wave are about the same as your being on a ship that gets hit by a meteor.

You probably have a better chance of hitting an ice berg or being attacked by a huge white whale or a giant squid or Iraqi weapons of mass destruction....

Don't laugh, it could happen. I am sure I read about it somewhere.

I posted those pictures and if anyone wants, will search my archives for them.

Archived