Solo Safety

ktkep26

I am going on my first cruise solo in Feb. on Carnival Fantsy. And I was wondering what kind of safety mesures I should use or practice. Other than common sense procautions, like not going down dark allies or off with others that I don't feel comfortable with. Any tips would be very helpful.

I am going on my first cruise solo in Feb. on Carnival Fantsy. And I was wondering what kind of safety mesures I should use or practice. Other than common sense procautions, like not going down dark allies or off with others that I don't feel comfortable with. Any tips would be very helpful.

I know some women wont leave their drinks unattended. I think for the most part its mostly common sense things that will keep you safe. People on most cruises are friendly and harmless, so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Have a great cruise!!

I'm also going on my first solo cruise in April, but one precaution that came to mind is that, if you're in a bar, don't leave your drink unattended. I don't do this on land. Many people think that somehow a cruise ship is different because people are more relaxed, but people are the same, no matter the venue.

I know some women wont leave their drinks unattended. I think for the most part its mostly common sense things that will keep you safe. People on most cruises are friendly and harmless, so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Have a great cruise!!

Same minds thought alike:)

Stick to ship's excursions? Keep your wits about you? Watch Jamaica, Grand Bahama, and New Orleans. Read the boards about any issues in your ports. Time was Aruba was considered a safe place full of staid Dutch nationals so things have a way of changing....:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I've solo traveled my entire life and cruised twice as a solo. I agree that common sense will serve you well with regard to security concerns but I would add a couple of thoughts:

1. When you make friends on the ship (and you will!), let them know when/where you are going off on your own off the ship.

2. Just like land, don't give your cabin number out, arrange to meet people in areas of the ship at specific times.

3. Listen to your gut. Women, especially, tend to make excuses blaming themselves when we feel uncomfortable, the old "I'm being silly" or we don't want to be seen as weak or whatever, when someone is walking too close or paying too much (unwanted) attention to us. If you feel the slightest bit uncomfortable, move away.

Have a great cruise!

I've solo traveled my entire life and cruised twice as a solo. I agree that common sense will serve you well with regard to security concerns but I would add a couple of thoughts:

1. When you make friends on the ship (and you will!), let them know when/where you are going off on your own off the ship.

2. Just like land, don't give your cabin number out, arrange to meet people in areas of the ship at specific times.

3. Listen to your gut. Women, especially, tend to make excuses blaming themselves when we feel uncomfortable, the old "I'm being silly" or we don't want to be seen as weak or whatever, when someone is walking too close or paying too much (unwanted) attention to us. If you feel the slightest bit uncomfortable, move away.

Have a great cruise!

I've been a solo traveler my entire life and have cruised twice solo, common sense has served me well. And I agree with the others about not leaving your drink unattended, however, I have done that on ships after making friends with some people I felt could be trusted.

There are a couple of things I would like to add:

1. When you to ashore on your own let people on the ship (your new friends) know where you are planning to go and that you are going on your own. This won't help with an immediate security issue while ashore but at least people will know where you were going.

2. I don't give out my cabin number. When traveling on land I don't give out my hotel room number, so it makes sense to me not to give my cabin number out. I arrange to meet people in specific areas at specific times on the ship.

3. Listen to to your gut. Some women have a tendency to think we are over-reacting or being silly when someone is walking too close to us (on the street) or paying too much (unwanted) attention to us. As Oprah has said, we have these feelings for a reason, so follow them and walk away.

Have a great cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

My last cruise in Nassau I sort of got off the beaten path which is a no-no when alone. I kept turning around to check behind me and noticed two men following me, very suspicious. So... I asked a couple walking in front of me if I could "pretend" I was with them for a few minutes until I made sure that they weren't. Little scary, but stupid of me. I promptly proceeded to return to the ship. Just watch your back and use common sense. Know your surroundings at all times. Bars, for me, are a no-no for sure.

Archived