Fitness Facilities On Princess

jck720

How extensive are the fitness facilities on Princess ships? Specifically, we will be on The Star. I assume they would have cardio equipment, weight machines and free weights? Is there an extra charge to use the gym? How crowded are they, and is there a "best" time to avoid the crowds? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Yes, the Star has cardio, weight machines & free weights (though not many of those). You should have no problem using weights. But the cardio machines tend to be very busy, especially mornings. There are sign up times. DH did say it did mess w/ his disequilibrium to walk on treadmill on slightly swaying ship looking out over the water!!! He decided to just walk the decks after that!

DW and I were on the Star in February 06, and have been on Caribbean Princess twice. As far as gym facilities go, they are basically the same.

Our experience has been that the gym is more crowded in the mornings, early in the cruise. By the middle of the cruise, however, crowds had thinned out significantly.

We found we like going late afternoons, especially since we had anytime dining. As one other poster said, sometimes the motion of the ship can be a little problematic, so we tend to favor going when the ship is in port, or at least when the water is smoother.

There is no charge for basic gym use, but there is a charge for classes like aerobics, spinning, etc.

Happy travels.

My experience on the Golden was that the fitness center was small and all the equipment was bunched in together.

... DH did say it did mess w/ his disequilibrium to walk on treadmill on slightly swaying ship looking out over the water!!! He decided to just walk the decks after that!

I had the same problem with the exercise bike. I started to get seasick looking out over the ocean. I solved that the next day. I turned the bike around to face the front of the ship. Felt great, it was like riding up and down small mounds rather than being in a mixing bowl.:)

Archived