Free drinks and other alcohol related questions

newistcruiseaddict

When are free drinks served on board? I understand that drinks are free at the captains cocktail party (as long as you don't order from a waitress??) but is their another event where alcohol is offered free...like an embarkation party? Can you order anything or is it restricted to champagne?

As for drinks of the day and other frozen concoctions. I'm so confused! If I order a drink w/souvineer glass its 6.95 but if I get a special w/glass its 4.95 and if I order a reg. drink w/o glass its 3.95 (including refills of souvineer glass). RIGHT? So what is the size differance between the souvineer glass and reg glass? Am I just better off not getting the glass so I don't have to tote it around?

Taking alcohol on board. I plan to take several bottles of "fine wine & Champagne" in my carry on to consume in the room (no corking fee, right?) I'm aloud to take 2 pp, right? As for "smuggled" liquor, should it go in my carry on or my checked bags? I've heard both. And what about water/soda (small amount permitted by carnival)? Is it safer to take in my carry on, or would all that HEAVY stuff be safe in my checked bags? I certainly don't want diet coke all over my clothes.

Thanks in advance!~

On my only cruise on the Elation, the captains cocktail party was the only time you could get free liquor. Its my understanding you can order a drink then and its free too, if you dont like what they bring around. You can bring 2 bottles of wine or champagne per person. You can carry on a reasonable amount of soft drinks. Id carry them on myself, wouldnt want cokes all over my clothes either and the luggage is handled very roughly. I didnt try to get my foo foos refilled, paid the price for them, because I wanted the souvenior glasses for souveniors. This time I will though because I dont want any more glasses. Hope this has helped you a little. Enjoy your cruise.

When are free drinks served on board? I understand that drinks are free at the captains cocktail party (as long as you don't order from a waitress??) but is their another event where alcohol is offered free...like an embarkation party? Can you order anything or is it restricted to champagne?

As for drinks of the day and other frozen concoctions. I'm so confused! If I order a drink w/souvineer glass its 6.95 but if I get a special w/glass its 4.95 and if I order a reg. drink w/o glass its 3.95 (including refills of souvineer glass). RIGHT? So what is the size differance between the souvineer glass and reg glass? Am I just better off not getting the glass so I don't have to tote it around?

Taking alcohol on board. I plan to take several bottles of "fine wine & Champagne" in my carry on to consume in the room (no corking fee, right?) I'm aloud to take 2 pp, right? As for "smuggled" liquor, should it go in my carry on or my checked bags? I've heard both. And what about water/soda (small amount permitted by carnival)? Is it safer to take in my carry on, or would all that HEAVY stuff be safe in my checked bags? I certainly don't want diet coke all over my clothes.

Thanks in advance!~

I just returned from the Conquest and had a blast!

You can get free drinks at the Captain's party; free champagne at the Art Auctions (about three on a seven day cruise), free champagne and OBC at the Carnival Vacation Club Preview, and free wines at various Classical Music Trio performances (deck 3, various times and days, capers do not mention free drinks).

The regular size glass (3.95) is about half the size of the souvenier glass; get the souvenier glass and the refills for your money's worth.

I took four bottles of wine in my carry on (no problems, but do bring a winecork if you plan to drink in your room for free). I checked one rolling suitcase, and in that suitcase were three six packs of Shiner. No problems there either.

Have a great cruise!

You can't take any liquid other than like a 3oz container on checked luggage on an airplane. We have brought our "liquids" in our checked luggage and just packed it well in a hard case suitcase. It made it to our room just fine- There is a weight limit on the airplanes so we just weigh it at home to make sure we aren't gonna get charged the extra fee.

At the Captain's cocktail party all drinks are free. On most ships the Captain's party will be held in the main show lounge where drinks are only provided by waiters. On some ships the party is held in a lounge where you can also go to a bar and order drinks. In either case you can order any drink you like for free. Be aware you will have to wait for a waiter to bring you your order as opposed to simply taking one of the pre-made drinks from the tray. As the parties are quite crowded you may have some wait for your order to be filled.

Perhaps the confusion about "paying" stems from the common practice of giving a generous tip to the waiter when drinks are ordered. While a tip isn't necessary I find it to greatly enhance my CC party experience. I enjoy Red Stripe beer. A nice tip when I first order has usually meant a steady flow of Red Stripes my way.:cool: The tip of course is not required, it is entirely up to you.

I'm not a "drink of the day" person, I'll leave this for others.

There is no two bottles per person limit. It is a reasonable limit which means it is subjective. In any case it is perfectly fine to bring wine on with you. I have never heard of anyone being told they are bringing too much. For our twelve day Hawaii cruise I plan to bring a case of wine for the two of us. :eek: Although a cork-age charge does exist I have never been charged. It will be added at the discretion of your dining room waiter. You will certainly not be charged for cabin consumption. Ask your room steward to provide you with glass ware.

Thanks in advance!~

You are quite welcome, enjoy your cruise.

yst

In my humble experience,

On our last cruise on the Glory I was going to pack a bar suitcase but at the last minute my wife distributed it among all the Checked Luggage.

Case of Bud

1 Case each of "Nippers"

Drambui

Scotch

Baileys

! Box of White wine

As far as Freebies on the Boat

Art Auction

Returning Guest Party

Wine Tastings

Captains Party

Gambling

Contact the Ocean Players Club in Advance

http://www.oceanplayersclub.com

Introduce yourselves (the first nite is usually the best)

They lower the mins on the Table Games

Play the penny slots after you join OPC its free

Chat it up with dealers/Hosts they love the interaction

You might be rewarded...

As far as the DOD's the one in the reg cup are def cheaper.

Beers buy the Buckets

Hope this Helps

So where/when what ship you sailing on?

I always pack beverage cans in one of those huge zip lock bags they make now before packing it into your luggage. Just in case. Also if you are flying make sure do not go over the weight limit or you would be better off to leave it at home. We usually fly a day early and I just buy what I want locally. The last trip I bought beer cold used the big zip locks packed it in my checked luggage and when it got to my room 6 hours later it was still cold.

Tigerdadky-

This was exactly what I was thinking, pack the soda in the carry on. I have a small roll on that I think I'll put the wine and some soda 2 liters in. That way I don't have to worry about them exploding on my clothes. I keep have horrendous visions of baggage handlers drop kicking my luggage onto the ship.

sjelsten-

I won't be traveling by plane. sorry guess I should have mentioned that.

yst347-

WOW! Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize the OP I had read that from was referring to a tip. Def. don't mind tipping if it gets my drink of choice to me faster.

ncjeff-

Love your "bar" bag. Can you by the nippers by the case at the liquor store? I was thinking earlier that it would be a more economical way to purchase them but I wasn't sure if they were an online only sort of purchase. Cruizing on the Liberty May 6 6N to WC...thanks for asking! We took our first cruise for our 10yr anniversary last year...wasn't so excited to be going b/c I'm a WDW addict at heart...didn't think I had the heart to love TWO vacationing styles...but we fell in LOVE with cruising. So this will be our 11yr anniversary /slash/ I survived my junior year of nursing school trip.

Shannon

"Perhaps the confusion about "paying" stems from the common practice of giving a generous tip to the waiter when drinks are ordered. While a tip isn't necessary I find it to greatly enhance my CC party experience. I enjoy Red Stripe beer. A nice tip when I first order has usually meant a steady flow of Red Stripes my way.:cool: The tip of course is not required, it is entirely up to you."

In Oct we met some cool friends and went to the captains and returning guest parties. At both parties we gave the waitress $20. There were six of us, so..3.50 each. At one point we had 18 full drinks sitting on the table. A little goes a long way at these parties.:D

I wouldn't recommend packing your "smuggled" liquor in your carry-on....I watched the gentleman in front of me get his bottle of Crown Royale taken from him during check-in. Only wine is allowed...a reasonable amount. Hard liquor and beer are a no-no and if they catch you with it they will confiscate. So pack it in your checked luggage. But make sure it's safely packed. I could smell the booze coming out of one ladies suitcase because the bottle had broken. Pack it in a waterproof container with lots of padding around it!

i have knowen people to board with a cooler FULL!!! you name it.. she had it.. beer wine hard stuff and pop... she duct taped the cooler closed.. and checked it in as she would have any bag.. it showed up at her room with everything else too. personaly i bring a few plastic bottles of rum. pack them in my suitcase, and have never had a problem... as for onboard... stick with the drink of the day... buy one and have it refilled... as for beer... buy it by the bucket.. not the bottle.. hope this helps

My husband and I took wine that comes in a box, less heavy and unbreakable, with us on our last cruise. We packed it in our checked baggage without problems. I know most people think box wine is not as good, but if you can find "Black Box" brand wine, it is very good. I also read somewhere that a couple took 3 boxes in their luggage without problems.

As far as Freebies on the Boat

Art Auction

Returning Guest Party

Wine Tastings

Captains Party

Wine tasting was $15 per person on the Legend, but I agree with all the others. I was surprised at how many art auctions there were on our last cruise, and I know they offered free champagne at least at three of them.

We are among those who always tip at the Captain's Party and Past Guest Party, and we haven't been disappointed with the service yet. ;)

We carried on eight bottles of champagne in our wheeled tote bag and were not questioned. I guess they felt (as we did) it was a reasonable amount for eight nights.

I wouldn't recommend packing your "smuggled" liquor in your carry-on....I watched the gentleman in front of me get his bottle of Crown Royale taken from him during check-in. Pack it in a waterproof container with lots of padding around it!

We always take a quart Listerine bottle filled with Capt Morgan, looks just like the cinnamin mouthwash. DOn't know if our room steward thought we had mouth problems, but that bottle got emptied during the cruise. At one port stop, we bought a local coconut rum for $4, and filled our liter water bottle, passed thru security just fine. With my unlimited soda card, ordered pineapple juice, mixers enjoyed trip just fine!

Don't recommend for everyone, but I work too hard for my $$ to spend $50/day on drinks.

Ours had lime martinis, incredibly nasty champagne (the same kind apparently served at the art auctions. It was so bad that when the waitress went by and I asked for a drink, she said "all I have left is champagne" I said "Ok, I'll take it" and she gave me a look and said "are you sure?" and seemed incredibly reluctant to leave it.) whiskey sours, a poor white wine, and shirley temples brought around regularly. They wouldn't bring us any 'ordered' drinks, but then, we didn't try tipping them.

Thinking I visited the wrong jewelry shops in Nassau. And to think, I got excited over a free water wallet!

Cozumel is the place you'll get the most get free drinks. We were offered margaritas or tequila shots in almost every jewelry store we went into. We even got it in an art gallery. Pretty much every place that sells liquor offers shots, including souvenir shops, although sometimes it's not in an obvious location--you have to ask. The last time I was in St. Thomas, we found more stores were offering champagne. I guess they learned from their Mexican counterparts that liquor + jewelry & alcohol shoppers = higher sales!

After everthing else is packed.....

One suitcase for 30 pack of our local beer (Genny Light), 3 liter box of wine, one plastic flask for vodka and one plastic flask for Jagemeister. Pack socks and underwear around outside of suitcase. Check suitcase with other luggage. Don't forget to tip the porter at the port.

We have not had a problem (yet) traveling from Buffalo to cruise ship.

I just returned from the Conquest and had a blast!

You can get free drinks at the Captain's party; free champagne at the Art Auctions (about three on a seven day cruise), free champagne and OBC at the Carnival Vacation Club Preview, and free wines at various Classical Music Trio performances (deck 3, various times and days, capers do not mention free drinks).

The regular size glass (3.95) is about half the size of the souvenier glass; get the souvenier glass and the refills for your money's worth.

I took four bottles of wine in my carry on (no problems, but do bring a winecork if you plan to drink in your room for free). I checked one rolling suitcase, and in that suitcase were three six packs of Shiner. No problems there either.

Have a great cruise!

Do you know if the Bar Coupons can be used to buy the drink of the day, and if you use one or more than one coupon per drink?

Dorothy

Archived