Question for Clarence Thomas

npphotog

Hello Clarence - I have a China question for you. Had a communication from a friend who did China last year and was told that it is discouraged or maybe prohibited to take photos during Tang Dynasty program and the Peking Opera. I plan to NOT to use flash but want to photographic these programs. Your thoughts appreciated. I'm a retired news photog and no one tells me that I can't take photos, but taken discreatly without flash. Thanks, Willard

Hello Clarence - I have a China question for you. Had a communication from a friend who did China last year and was told that it is discouraged or maybe prohibited to take photos during Tang Dynasty program and the Peking Opera. I plan to NOT to use flash but want to photographic these programs. Your thoughts appreciated. I'm a retired news photog and no one tells me that I can't take photos, but taken discreatly without flash. Thanks, Willard

I'll take the risk, here, but what do you need with Clarence's opinion if "no one tells me that I can't take photos?" Even if it's specifically prohibited? I work in live theatre, and recordings and photography are always forbidden because of copyright restrictions. Are you one of those above the law? Just wondering. :confused:

Sorry for my remarks - been a long day here. Not really a smart --- but had a question on photos. Understand your concern but just wanted a few shots to show folks back home. Again I am truly sorry for those remarks.

Willard, to answer your question directly, I have no recollection of any restrictions being announced at either of these shows. I took several pictures at each without using a flash and they were a bit blurred due to movement of the performers and my slow shutter speed. I found that some telephoto extension was needed to avoid getting a picture with objects so small that they could not be recognized and, as you know, telephoto use requires slower shutter speed. It seems to me that the use of flash is not helpful at a distance over 10 feet. But, what the heck, it is digital and nothing ventured nothing gained!

Our tour included what I would call an "Introduction to the Peking Opera". Even that was painful to sit through! You must be a real fan to appreciate that type of performance. Our 20 minutes (followed by other entertainment) was certainly adequate to let us appreciate what a 2 hour exposure to such cacophany would be like.

In addition, I took similar photos at the Chinese Acrobats performance without problems. Refresh my recollection, when are you going? It seems like we have been talking about this trip for YEARS!

BTW, if an announcement is made that photos are not permitted I always respect that request but on the other hand, if no such announcement is made or posted I assume that there is no such restriction. Copyright protections must be asserted to be applicable.

Clarence:)

Thanks Clarence for the info. We are leaving on May 8th with Vantage for a 21 day trip. You have been very helpful in the past as now. Seems like we been talking and planning for about 1 year...made reservations last June.

Hope my previous comments that Musicman responded to did NOT offend anyone else..very sorry about that. I guess too many police busts, fires and bad traffic accidents brought that about..that's why I retired after 35 years...got tired of all that pushing around. Thanks again Clarence for all your help. Willard

That sounds like a delightful time of year to be there. I am envious! I look forward to reading your detailed review with a link to your photo album.

Next year (2007) we are going to depart from group tours and do a self drive starting with a Murder-Mystery Weekend in Banbury, England, then sightseeing in the land of my ancestors, Wales. After a brief visit in Edinburgh we are going to fly over to Germany and get back on the usual side of the road before coming home after 19 days on the road. Thank goodness my wife speaks German and I think my English can get us by in the UK!

Happy New Year and best wishes for what I know to be a most exciting trip awaiting you in May.

Clarence:)

Archived