Scuba Diving GT

fallenfree

I keep hearing how Scuba Diving is great in GT. Can anyone tell me about their scuba diving experience? Where did you go, did you book through a dive shop, how was their service, and what sites did you dive? If you could do again, would you do the same, or what would you do different?

http://www.oasisdivers.com/ is the dive shop that provides the cruise ship excursion dives. They use a large pontoon boat and take 24 divers at a time.

When I was there in December, I went with Blue Water divers There was on 5 divers on our smaller boat. They actually turned away a 6th person who walked up. The diver were good. All the dive sites are quite close to shore, so the boat ride was short. I can't recommend any specific dive sites. Cost of the taxi to the dive shop was $5 each way. You can make online reservations with them and I recommend that you do if you plan on diving with them. They only provide water on the boat, so if you want anything else to drink or something to eat during the surface interval, plan on bringing it yourself.

The third dive shop on the island is http://www.seaeyediving.com/, but for some reason, they were not able to take my reservation. They did say they would be able to accommodate walk up customers, but when we arrived at their shop, it was locked up tight. I guess we were just too early. They seem to go out later in the morning. If you do go with them, verify the time you need to be at their shop.

In the end, I'd go with Blue Island again unless Sea Eye was able to make a reservation, then I might consider them. I would not go with the ship's more expensive excursion as I have an aversion to large groups of divers on one boat.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to book a two tank on Grand Turk and have e-mailed both that Bruce mentioned. The SeaEye stated that they do not take reservations at all, they only do first come first served. The did say that as of today (Feb 12) they have availability for Aug 2??? Of course, if they don't take reservations, how could they not have availability? I suppose they just meant that they are open that day.

Just as an aside, SeaEye is about twice the price on their rental gear.

The other folks took longer to reply to the e-mail but did eventually reply.

I'll be sure to post after the dives. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We are going to GT in Oct and my fiancee and I are looking to try scuba and are looking for a dive that doesn't require the certification. I did a experience scuba tour once and my fiancee has never done a dive... what should we do? is there a dive shop on the island we can go through or do we have to go through the ship?

Hi,

We are going to GT in Oct and my fiancee and I are looking to try scuba and are looking for a dive that doesn't require the certification. I did a experience scuba tour once and my fiancee has never done a dive... what should we do? is there a dive shop on the island we can go through or do we have to go through the ship?

http://www.oasisdivers.com/ is the dive shop that provides the cruise ship excursion dives. They use a large pontoon boat and take 24 divers at a time. You can't book directly with them if they know you are on a cruise. They will tell you that you have to go thru the ship's excursion. If you don't tell them you are on a cruise, you might be able to go with them.

When I was there in December, I went with Blue Water divers I recommend them. They do offer a discover scuba dive for $100.

The third dive shop on the island is http://www.seaeyediving.com/. They also offer discover scuba, but their price is $150.

As there are only three dive shops on Grand Turk, your choices are limited.

Archived