Check Luggage or Carry On?

rajntra

Could I get some input on checking luggage versus carrying on? Our last cruise was on the Celebration with a relative small number of passengers so I was okay checking our baggage. Our next one is on the legend with a possibility of 1900+. I've read some post where luggage has not arrived to the stateroom until 8 sometimes 9 o'clock the first night.

We would come on board with 4 roll around bags and a suit bag. Not that big of a deal with me to keep up with them, but my wife thinks I'm nuts. Am I nuts?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Yes thats nuts. (sorry)

Just check them...and if your worried about not haveing clothes for dinner..just put something for the first night in a carry on...seems easier than lugging around all those rollers.

JMO,

We have always had our luggage by about 2 or 3 in the afternoon...(only sailed RCI tho):)

I don't know about Carnival, but several threads on the RCL boards have said they gave a small credit in the ships store, and tried to get the luggage to the ship at the next port. I know that my wife and I have never had trouble with geting our luggage on the ship, even on our first cruise when the luggage had the wrong tags on it. We were upgraded at the last minute and the luggage tags from RCL had the original room numbers on them. Personally, I check most of the bags, but keep a carryon with clothes for the first nights meal, meds, toiletries, and swim suits in it. We also keep all our electronics, computers, and such with us. So, I still have 3 bags with me, even though I check the rest.

Fair winds and following seas on your cruise.

If you plan to board the ship any earlier that 2:00 then check your luggage as most cruise lines have the cabins closed off until at least 1:00 and some later. I have never had luggage lost in 29 cruises. It has always arrived before sailing with the exception of one time. To me it is one less thing to have to worry about if I can check it.

Could I get some input on checking luggage versus carrying on? Our last cruise was on the Celebration with a relative small number of passengers so I was okay checking our baggage. Our next one is on the legend with a possibility of 1900+. I've read some post where luggage has not arrived to the stateroom until 8 sometimes 9 o'clock the first night.

We would come on board with 4 roll around bags and a suit bag. Not that big of a deal with me to keep up with them, but my wife thinks I'm nuts. Am I nuts?

Thanks in advance for your input.

We were on the Legend a month ago and our luggage was delivered to the room well before dinner, in fact I think it was before the muster drill.

Not that big of a deal with me to keep up with them, but my wife thinks I'm nuts. Am I nuts?

Yes!:D You asked. The last time I want to touch my bags is when I put them in the car as we leave home.

What if your luggage is just outright lost?

Now this is a horse of a different color. If the airline loses it, you will know about it when you board. As wraithe said, they will try to get the luggage to you at the earliest port possible, and give you some onboard credit to use for clothes. I have never heard of the cruise line losing a bag, although I'm sure it has happened. I have heard of some bags getting dropped in the water, in which case the line will have everything laundered. (Be sure to tip the porter.:D) Notice in some ports there are nets under the conveyor belts, although I believe most ports now use containers and fork lifts.

Also, remember that whatever you carry onboard has to fit into the security scanner (like the ones at the airport).

We've only been on 5 cruises, but have always had our luggage delivered well before the muster drill.

Plant and I have the same thought. I'd think the most important thing is "Would all your rolling bags fit through the small carry-on scanner?" Doubtful. The dimensions are about like airlines, and large rolling bags just won't go through those smaller scanners.

Yes, you're just nuts.:D You don't want to have to roll all those bags around all over the ship until you get to put them in your cabin anyway, do you?

As it happens, my cabins have always been ready when I've boarded (around noon), but I would have only a small carry-on bag to worry about if it wasn't ready.

For what it's worth...In all the years I've been cruising, I have heard of maybe two cases of anyone actually losing all their luggage on a cruiseship.:)

Thanks again everybody. I thought I was nuts just needed some affirmation of that. Wasn't thinking about my bags fitting throught the scanner. I've only been on one cruise that had a scanner, that was last year. Back when I was a wee lad on my first cruise with my parents in 1976 on the USS Mardi Gras my dad brought a 38 cal pistol. His name is George and I couldn't understand how all the native kids in the Virgin Islands knew his name. "Hey George throw a quarter in the water, hey George throw a quarter!". Some of you cruise veterans may get that one.;)

Check your luggage, we carried our luggage on one time way back when and it was a mistake, YOur luggage will be there in plenty of time and even if it isnt yours will not be the only ones arriving late. If for some reason you luggage is lost the cruise line is pretty good about providing clothes etc. On one or our trips our table mates lost thier luggage, they got stuff for formal night etc. Well to shorten the story, when debarking, they went right over to the xray machine, (last ones to board) you got it the bag was still in the machine.

Check your luggage

Pete

If you plan to board the ship any earlier that 2:00 then check your luggage as most cruise lines have the cabins closed off until at least 1:00 and some later. I have never had luggage lost in 29 cruises. It has always arrived before sailing with the exception of one time. To me it is one less thing to have to worry about if I can check it.

We always get to the port early to be among the first to board. I always take my carryon bag and a tote with me when I board. Some lines tell you that while your cabin won't be available until later, you can drop your bags off in the cabin. On ships where they haven't told us this, I drop by my cabin and if my steward is around, I ask them if I can drop my bags off. I've never had a steward tell me I couldn't. We put them in a closet and leave immediately. If the cabin steward isn't around, we'll leave our bags inside the closet and leave a note for the steward. We keep our valuables with us, or if we have the chance, we put them in our cabin safe. I've never had any problems with this.

I would agree with Sue Sea and we have done that but last year on the mariner, they actually had the doors to the hallways of the cabins secured, but we always try and head to the cabin and see if we can store our carry ons. Sometimes we eat first, then go store the gear and change into our suits to go sit by the pool and people watch

I would agree with Sue Sea and we have done that but last year on the mariner, they actually had the doors to the hallways of the cabins secured, but we always try and head to the cabin and see if we can store our carry ons. Sometimes we eat first, then go store the gear and change into our suits to go sit by the pool and people watch

Archived