Lost In Space! What are the chances of luggage making it???

remydiva

The luggage actually DID arrive in Jamaica (first port of call but third day of cruise) after a horrendous start to the trip.

How it made it from DFW to NOLA and then somehow made it to Princess and then to Jamaica is beyond me. There were NO Princess tags on the bags as it got left in DFW when the connecting flight was cancelled and when they closed the airport and locked down the luggage post Saddam.

All is well, dd is beyond happy and they're having a great time. The Target clothes are put away and tonite was the second formal nite so she was able to finally get all dolled up as she had planned for New Year's Eve.

Thanks for all your thoughts and concern.

That's good news. As much as people like to complain about the "terrible" customer service these days, this just goes to show how many people really do go the extra mile. It's too bad that no one will ever know who such people are, so they will go down as un-sung heros.

Late luggage is one of the primary reasons we always travel to embarkation port at least one day early. About 8 years ago, we had a problem with my wife's luggage not making it to San Juan. This was the one time we did not fly early and used cruise air (two big mistakes). Of course, they gave us connecting flights which almost guarantees luggage problems. Bags caught up with the ship three days later. Since we had cruise air, someone on the ship took care of tracking the bags. This could get very expensive if you had to do it yourself at $10 per minute for satellite phone calls. The shops on the ship did have some underwear for sale (you have to ask). They also lent my wife some shoes which they keep since this happens so frequently. I have met people on several cruises who did not have their bags.

Hi Remydiva,

Glad to hear that the bags made it to Jamaica. I don't know how they do it, but glad it happened. When our bags were delayed, the ship was extremely helpful to us. They lent my dh a tux and some of the crew lent formal dresses to a couple of the ladies in our group. The ship also cleaned what little clothing we did have each night for us.

Tell your daughter to enjoy her cruise. She will laugh about this later. We are still laughing about it.

Vette

The luggage actually DID arrive in Jamaica (first port of call but third day of cruise) after a horrendous start to the trip.

How it made it from DFW to NOLA and then somehow made it to Princess and then to Jamaica is beyond me. There were NO Princess tags on the bags as it got left in DFW when the connecting flight was cancelled and when they closed the airport and locked down the luggage post Saddam.

All is well, dd is beyond happy and they're having a great time. The Target clothes are put away and tonite was the second formal nite so she was able to finally get all dolled up as she had planned for New Year's Eve.

Thanks for all your thoughts and concern.

Great news......when you hear stories like this.....it makes you appreciate all of those working "behnd the scenes".

Nice to see that all of you who stuck with me through this disaster did see my update so you know it all turned out ok.

Yes there was lots of ID and personal tags (STOP! This is NOT your bag) on the black suitcases (only 1 million more just like them) but the fact that there was NOT Princess ID on them, just blows me away.

Obviously the AA barcode tag must have IDd it and info in a computer said where to send it on to from NOLA??? I don't know but I am amazed.

Once the 'kids' are back home and I get the details, letters will be written to AA, NOLA, Princess and/or whoever they spoke to to acknowledge someone's work in this successful outcome. I will add any updates to this thread when I get them.

Thanks again! I will show them these threads to let them read how good people were sending good thoughts and cheering them on!

Pat

Hopefully they have received their luggage by now. We cruised out of San Juan on the Monday before Thanksgiving. We flew out of San Francisco at 10 pm on Sunday night. We had a LONG layover in Atlanta and when we got to San Juan, none of our luggage came off the thing. We were traveling with a total of 15 people (ended up that 22 of us were on those same flights) and we ALL had no luggage! Evidently once we arrived in Atlanta our bags were taken to our gate where a plane left before us back to the West coast - to Los Angeles!!! So that is where our luggage was at while we were in SJ... Wearing the same clothes we put on on Sunday morning!!!!! Thankfully we knew to pack ds' medicines in our carry on and from now on will pack at least one change of clothes and some sandals in the carry on as well!!! Was a real bummer spending Tuesday - our first port day - in St. Maarten - in sweats and tennis shoes!!! Sucked for sure!

So Delta had told us we could spend up to $25 per person per day up to $125 each to buy what we needed. So we shopped in St. Maarten buying a few shirts, flip flops, swim suits for the kids, toothbrushes, deodorant, gel, etc. Just what I had planned to do there! NOT! When we got back to the ship our bags were being loaded on - but they wouldn't let us take them! They had to go through security first. The bags arrived about 10 minutes before we were leaving for DINNER on Tuesday.

On our flight home we saw one of the other "lucky" people who also had no luggage - guess what?! Their's NEVER arrived!!!!

Hopefully they have received their luggage by now. We cruised out of San Juan on the Monday before Thanksgiving. We flew out of San Francisco at 10 pm on Sunday night. We had a LONG layover in Atlanta and when we got to San Juan, none of our luggage came off the thing. We were traveling with a total of 15 people (ended up that 22 of us were on those same flights) and we ALL had no luggage! Evidently once we arrived in Atlanta our bags were taken to our gate where a plane left before us back to the West coast - to Los Angeles!!! So that is where our luggage was at while we were in SJ... Wearing the same clothes we put on on Sunday morning!!!!! Thankfully we knew to pack ds' medicines in our carry on and from now on will pack at least one change of clothes and some sandals in the carry on as well!!! Was a real bummer spending Tuesday - our first port day - in St. Maarten - in sweats and tennis shoes!!! Sucked for sure!

So Delta had told us we could spend up to $25 per person per day up to $125 each to buy what we needed. So we shopped in St. Maarten buying a few shirts, flip flops, swim suits for the kids, toothbrushes, deodorant, gel, etc. Just what I had planned to do there! NOT! When we got back to the ship our bags were being loaded on - but they wouldn't let us take them! They had to go through security first. The bags arrived about 10 minutes before we were leaving for DINNER on Tuesday.

On our flight home we saw one of the other "lucky" people who also had no luggage - guess what?! Their's NEVER arrived!!!!

dd just got off the Golden this morning and phd from their hotel room in NewOrleans where they will spend the day/nite before flying home tomorrow.

Apparently, their luggage arrived at the dock 30 mins AFTER the ship sailed...they know this because over 100 passengers were also about 30 mins late.

Bags and those passengers caught up with the Golden 3 days later in Jamaica so lots of unhappy passengers (passengers apparently got $300 in lieu of...not so with the missed baggage).

Considering the ship was 90 mins leaving and probably knew there were more passengers close by trying to make it, you wonder if another 30 mins would've been a deal breaker.

OH, and dd's luggage had been 'violated'...jewellry bag ripped open and her watch gone (yes I know it should've been in the carry on but it wasn't...sad state of affairs when an unattended bag is fair game for thieving).

I'm wondering how those 100+ passengers saw this situation....chalk it up to 'oh well' or could things have been handled differently?

They still had a good time in spite of the horrible start.I'll add more details when I get them.

On our Russian riverboat cruise this past September, several passengers had luggage lost by Aeroflot. All but two had their luggage catch up with them but those two had NOTHING and no chance of buying anything, even toothbrushes, for the entire 12 days. They were given no help (imagine how hard it is to contact and argue with Aeroflot??), not even free laundry, and wound up having to borrow clothing and essentials from others they met while on the boat. Regardless, they were always cheerful and full of life, enjoying themselves immensely.

On our Russian riverboat cruise this past September, several passengers had luggage lost by Aeroflot. All but two had their luggage catch up with them but those two had NOTHING and no chance of buying anything, even toothbrushes, for the entire 12 days. They were given no help (imagine how hard it is to contact and argue with Aeroflot??), not even free laundry, and wound up having to borrow clothing and essentials from others they met while on the boat. Regardless, they were always cheerful and full of life, enjoying themselves immensely.

My parents did the Russian riverboat cruise in 2005 and loved it, they wish they had done the B2B as they would have loved that extra time in each place. I need to check with them to see if anyone lost there luggage as I'm sure it must happen a lot there. This cruise is on wish list.

Mom suffers from motion sickness so the only cruising she can do is the riverboats, they have also done the nile which they loved too. (my wish list is growing:D)

Archived