Bombing in tourist areas--Thailand

gnu2cruisin'

Have you heard what happened today? http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/world/asia/31cnd-thai.html?hp&ex=1167627600&en=1be5e62cba95b058&ei=5094&partner=homepage

We're on the Jan 21 Nautica Singapore to Hong Kong--with a few days in Bangkok. Does anyone know what Oceania's policy is regarding substituting ports? Since Visas are required in many places, what happens if there's no time to get one for a new port?

I don't mean to sound insensitive to the horrible situation there, because I'm not--but we do need to be informed.

Thanks

Sorry to say, but if you avoided everywhere in the middle east and S.E.A. that is having such problems you wouldn't go anywhere. I have lived there, and am returning to teach for a few weeks in two weeks time. It's a calculated risk; Bangkok has been through a coup in the last few months and there has been Muslim insurgency in the south for years whifh flares up every now and then. What to do...no choice but to stay home which I won't do. Point is, O could easily chose another port in S.E.A. and still have the same problems.

We are booked on HKG to ATH in March 07 with Oceania ports of call are Bangkok and several Middle East countries. I will never let terrorists stop me enjoying what I want to do, if I do the terrorists win and thats just not going to happen.

There is risk in crossing the road or driving your car and the odds of coming to harm in those situations are probably greater than a terrorist event you just accept it because its your own environment that you are used to. Just enjoy the oportunity of travel, be sensible, take reasonable care and most of all enjoy.

We are booked on HKG to ATH in March 07 with Oceania ports of call are Bangkok and several Middle East countries. I will never let terrorists stop me enjoying what I want to do, if I do the terrorists win and thats just not going to happen.

There is risk in crossing the road or driving your car and the odds of coming to harm in those situations are probably greater than a terrorist event you just accept it because its your own environment that you are used to. Just enjoy the oportunity of travel, be sensible, take reasonable care and most of all enjoy.

Thanks for the update. I'm afraid I've had my head in the sand. On other cruises I have heard of them substituting ports?

I'm having problems arranging excursions ahead of time on this cruise. Maybe it'll be for the best anyway. What had you planned in Thailand?

Would love to have any advice,

Barbara

Vancouver Island, Canada

What sort of excursions do you want to do epi? And how cashed up are you vs what level of comfort do you require? In Asia you can get just about anything; from a pushbike to a Roller, from few Baht to hundreds of USD. You shouldn't have any trouble at all organising tours in Thailand; where have you tried?

To start off with, remember that Americans are seen as walking wallets in most of Asia, that it's not THAT exotic (Bangkok for instance is a large, modern city, albeit with exentricities that you won't encounter in the US), and the port for Bangkok is about a two hour drive from Bangkok and Bangkok traffic is notorious.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you heard what happened today? http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/world/asia/31cnd-thai.html?hp&ex=1167627600&en=1be5e62cba95b058&ei=5094&partner=homepage

We're on the Jan 21 Nautica Singapore to Hong Kong--with a few days in Bangkok.

I don't mean to sound insensitive to the horrible situation there' date=' because I'm not--but we do need to be informed

[b'][/b]

HI THERE:

WE WERE JUST ON THE NAUTICA CRUISE (DEC 22 - JAN 6) FROM SINGAPORE TO HONG KONG. AFTER THE CRUISE WE SPENT 5 DAYS IN HONG KONG & ANOTHER 5 DAYS IN BANGKOK. WE JUST GOT HOME YESTERDAY FROM BANGKOK. SECURITY IS TIGHT (WHICH I WAS THANKFUL FOR) WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME THO & SAW EVERYTHING WE HAD WANTED TO SEE. EVERYONE WAS VERY FRIENDLY & NICE NO MATTER WHERE WE WENT. TRY NOT TO WORRY - YOU WILL BE FINE.

IN JUNE WE ARE GOING ON A HOLY LAND CRUISE. WHO KNOW'S WHAT WILL BE HAPPENING THERE WHEN WE GO. BUT, ONE THING I KNOW - MY HUBBY & I WILL NOT LET THIS KIND OF THING GET IN THE WAY OF OUR VACATIONS. IF THE CRUISE SHIP IS GOING THERE - SO ARE WE.

BUT, IM SURE IF THERE WAS SOMETHING GOING ON THAT WOULD BE DANGEROUS FOR THE PASSENGERS, THEY WOULD CANGE THE ITERNERY.

WELL, TAKE GOOD CARE

HAPPY CRUISING,

MYRA

We're on the Jan 21 Nautica Singapore to Hong Kong--with a few days in Bangkok.

I don't mean to sound insensitive to the horrible situation there' date=' because I'm not--but we do need to be informed

[b'][/b]

HI THERE:

WE WERE JUST ON THE NAUTICA CRUISE (DEC 22 - JAN 6) FROM SINGAPORE TO HONG KONG. AFTER THE CRUISE WE SPENT 5 DAYS IN HONG KONG & ANOTHER 5 DAYS IN BANGKOK. WE JUST GOT HOME YESTERDAY FROM BANGKOK. SECURITY IS TIGHT (WHICH I WAS THANKFUL FOR) WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME THO & SAW EVERYTHING WE HAD WANTED TO SEE. EVERYONE WAS VERY FRIENDLY & NICE NO MATTER WHERE WE WENT. TRY NOT TO WORRY - YOU WILL BE FINE.

IN JUNE WE ARE GOING ON A HOLY LAND CRUISE. WHO KNOW'S WHAT WILL BE HAPPENING THERE WHEN WE GO. BUT, ONE THING I KNOW - MY HUBBY & I WILL NOT LET THIS KIND OF THING GET IN THE WAY OF OUR VACATIONS. IF THE CRUISE SHIP IS GOING THERE - SO ARE WE.

BUT, IM SURE IF THERE WAS SOMETHING GOING ON THAT WOULD BE DANGEROUS FOR THE PASSENGERS, THEY WOULD CANGE THE ITERNERY.

WELL, TAKE GOOD CARE

HAPPY CRUISING,

MYRA

]HI THERE:

WE WERE JUST ON THE NAUTICA ...[/size]

There's no need to yell, even though some of us are older than dirt, we can still hear you.:)

"On Internet chat systems and Usenet, typing in all capitals is considered rude, the large letters akin to shouting or yelling within the social context."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caps_lock#Cultural_significance

Fred

There's no need to yell, even though some of us are older than dirt, we can still hear you.:)

"On Internet chat systems and Usenet, typing in all capitals is considered rude, the large letters akin to shouting or yelling within the social context."

Fred

HI FRED:

MY LARGE FONT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SHOUTING. IT HAS TO DO WITH SEEING. I HAVE NO CENTRAL VISION IN MY RIGHT EYE, WHICH CAUSES SOME DISTORTION IN MY LEFT EYE.

IM SORRY THIS BOTHERS YOU & IM SURE IT BOTHERS OTHERS TOO. :(

I AM A FACILITOR OF SEVERAL CHATS & ALL MY CHATTERS TYPE IN LARGE PRINT TO HELP ME SEE BETTER.

BTW WERE YOU ON THE SAME CRUISE AS WE WERE.

TAKE CARE NOW

HAPPY CRUISING

MYRA

Fred

HI FRED:

MY LARGE FONT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SHOUTING. IT HAS TO DO WITH SEEING. I HAVE NO CENTRAL VISION IN MY RIGHT EYE, WHICH CAUSES SOME DISTORTION IN MY LEFT EYE.

I AM A FACILITOR OF SEVERAL CHATS & ALL MY CHATTERS TYPE IN LARGE PRINT TO HELP ME SEE BETTER.

TAKE CARE NOW

HAPPY CRUISING

MYRA

Fred

HI FRED:

TAKE CARE NOW

HAPPY CRUISING

MYRA

Archived