Galveston in December

garysol1

Hi folks. My family is wanting to do the Cozumel cruise on the Ecstasy out of Galveston next Christmas. My concern is the cold weather and that there is a good chance that on our first and last day at sea, there is a good chance it may be to cold outside to enjoy the pools. Am I correct or are my concerns unfounded?

It will more than likely be too cold to enjoy any outdoor pools, however Schlitterbaum Water Park has a retractable roof and remains open year round with heated pool and air if needed. You never know in the Houston/Galveston area if you're going to get a few flurries or be wearing shorts on Christmas day... :)

Galveston in December?

It could be 75 or it could be 35 with snow! Usually it is fairly cold during December and unless an outdoor pool is heated it will be too cold for use. Give Texas weather 24hrs. and it will change.

pholter is correct, you could be in a heavy coat with a NW wind at 30+ with a chill factor in the teens or you could have a SE wind 10-15 ad everyone is in shorts.

You might consider since Galveston is surrounded by water and the water temperture in December is in the 50's it is usually pretty chilly.

We left when it was in the 80s and returned to driving rain in the 40s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't just about any winter departure form almost any US port going to be cold on the first and last day? At least colder than the climate you're traveling to???

I cruised out of Galveston in December 2005. The day we left Galveston it was in the low 40s and windy at boarding, and by sail away it was in the mid 30s and very windy. The seas were extremely rough on the first sea day. But the day we got back to Galveston it was 70 and sunny by 7am. Reports from the Mariner of the Seas that sailed the exact same dates we did but from Port Canaveral Florida were that they had experienced the exact same weather. COLD for embarkation and the first sea day and warm for the rest of the cruise including debarkation.

Archived