State dept. warning??

jansarts

Travel Warning

United States Department of State

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Washington, DC 20520

This information is current as of today,document.write(Date()+".") Mon Jan 01 11:51:25 2007.

COLOMBIA

January 18, 2006

This Travel Warning updates ongoing security concerns in Colombia and reminds American citizens of those concerns. This supersedes the Travel Warning issued May 4, 2005.

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the dangers of travel to Colombia. Violence by narcoterrorist groups and other criminal elements continues to affect all parts of the country, urban and rural, including border areas. Citizens of the United States and other countries continue to be victims of threats, kidnappings, and other criminal acts.

Violence in recent years has decreased markedly in most urban areas, including Bogotá, Medellin, Barranquilla, and Cartagena. The level of violence in Cali and its surrounding areas remains high, largely as a result of the illicit drug trade. Many rural portions of Colombia also remain extremely dangerous due to the presence of narcoterrorists and Colombian government operations against them.

At least five Americans were kidnapped in 2004, and at least one in 2005. No one can be considered immune from kidnapping on the basis of occupation, nationality, or other factors. Terrorist groups such as the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the National Liberation Army (ELN), and other criminal organizations, continue to kidnap civilians for ransom or as political bargaining chips. The FARC have held three American official contractors hostage since February 2003. Although the U.S. government places the highest priority on the safe recovery of kidnapped Americans, it is U.S. policy not to make concessions to or strike deals with kidnappers. Consequently, the U.S. government’s ability to assist kidnapping victims is limited.

Official Americans and their families are permitted to travel to major cities, but only by air, and may not use inter- or intra-city bus transportation. They also are not permitted to travel by road outside of urban areas at night. All Americans in Colombia are urged to follow these precautions.

As the Department develops information on potential security threats to U.S. citizens overseas, it shares credible threats through its Consular Information Program documents, available on the Internet at http://travel.state.gov. U.S. citizens should consult warden messages for Colombia at http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsc093.shtml, as well as the Department of State’s Consular Information Sheet for Colombia and Worldwide Caution Public Announcement at http://travel.state.gov. U.S. travelers can also get up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 in the U.S. or Canada or on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.

Travel Warning

Washington, DC 20520

This information is current as of today,document.write(Date()+".") Mon Jan 01 11:51:25 2007.

COLOMBIA

January 18, 2006

This Travel Warning updates ongoing security concerns in Colombia and reminds American citizens of those concerns. This supersedes the Travel Warning issued May 4, 2005.

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the dangers of travel to Colombia. Violence by narcoterrorist groups and other criminal elements continues to affect all parts of the country, urban and rural, including border areas. Citizens of the United States and other countries continue to be victims of threats, kidnappings, and other criminal acts.

Violence in recent years has decreased markedly in most urban areas, including Bogotá, Medellin, Barranquilla, and Cartagena. The level of violence in Cali and its surrounding areas remains high, largely as a result of the illicit drug trade. Many rural portions of Colombia also remain extremely dangerous due to the presence of narcoterrorists and Colombian government operations against them.

At least five Americans were kidnapped in 2004, and at least one in 2005. No one can be considered immune from kidnapping on the basis of occupation, nationality, or other factors. Terrorist groups such as the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the National Liberation Army (ELN), and other criminal organizations, continue to kidnap civilians for ransom or as political bargaining chips. The FARC have held three American official contractors hostage since February 2003. Although the U.S. government places the highest priority on the safe recovery of kidnapped Americans, it is U.S. policy not to make concessions to or strike deals with kidnappers. Consequently, the U.S. government’s ability to assist kidnapping victims is limited.

Official Americans and their families are permitted to travel to major cities, but only by air, and may not use inter- or intra-city bus transportation. They also are not permitted to travel by road outside of urban areas at night. All Americans in Colombia are urged to follow these precautions.

As the Department develops information on potential security threats to U.S. citizens overseas, it shares credible threats through its Consular Information Program documents, available on the Internet at http://travel.state.gov. U.S. citizens should consult warden messages for Colombia at http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsc093.shtml, as well as the Department of State’s Consular Information Sheet for Colombia and Worldwide Caution Public Announcement at http://travel.state.gov. U.S. travelers can also get up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 in the U.S. or Canada or on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.

This warning was issued JANUARY 18, 2006. Is it still in place? Plus it said, "Violence in recent years has decreased markedly in most urban areas, including Bogotá, Medellin, Barranquilla, and Cartagena". We are going to Cartagena. Plus they have been going there already so i really doubt they will cancel our stop there.

But these are just my thoughts.

Don

Travel Warning

Washington, DC 20520

This information is current as of today,document.write(Date()+".") Mon Jan 01 11:51:25 2007

Yes this warning is current and still active as of today.

We will be on the January 9th sailing; we did not schedule any excursions for Cartagena. We will decide if we are going to get off the ship when we arrive. I think you will be fine as long as you exercise good judgment and caution.

It has been 14 years since we were in Cartagena, but we will be going on the Jan 31 itinerary. I believe staying with the ship tours will assure everyone of a good trip. It is a city with great views from the Cathedral and across the harbor...sure wouldn't want to miss it.

My wife and I were on the Lirica with port calls at Santa Marta and Cartagena on 21 and 22 December.

In Santa Marta, we booked a day trip to Parque Tayrona with a private guide. Tayrona is absolutely gorgeous, but very, very remote. The ship doesn’t offer an excursion to Tayrona. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to provide the details.

In Cartagena, we took a taxi to the “old city” and began a self-guided tour at the Clock Tower, which is the main gate to enter the walled city. We had no problems at all. Colombia is making great efforts to attract tourism and dispel its dangerous reputation (IMO, generated by too many Hollywood depictions of the cartel). In the popular “tourist areas”, there is a very heavy police presence, which we found comforting, The persistent street vendors are about as bad as I have seen anywhere. But, they are only a nuisance and completely harmless. Las Bovedas, which is an area of crowded street vendors, can be a bit intimidating. For the less adventuresome, I would avoid the Bovedas. I speak Spanish, but was still a bit uncomfortable there. My wife didn’t care for it at all. If you have some remaining time, take a taxi over to Bocagrande, the modern side of Cartagena. We had an excellent lunch on the beach there.

Finally, I talked with a couple of travel agents who were on board the Lirica. They both told me that they expected the State Department Travel Advisory for Cartagena to be lifted in the next few months.

Enjoy the city. It’s one beautiful place!

Me, DH and two kids (9 and 12) felt totally safe in Santa Marta and in Cartagena and had a great time. In Santa Marta we took a taxi (off the street) he charged us $2.50 to take us to "Arrolladero beach", where our kids played water sports (banana boat, water bicycle, etc). I got a back and foot massage for $5 and vendors brought us sodas to our palapa. I never felt threatened at all. We spent most of the day there and then took another taxi back to the port. In cartagena we also took a cab and went to most of the places that the cruise ship tour sheets mentioned, our driver was great, I also went to the "Bodegas" for shopping and I never felt unsafe, we all had a lot of fun. Our driver even took us to get our passport stamped. I love the "walled city and walked all over with our kids. Our driver did tell us to please tell others about the nice time we had in Colombia, because they are really hurting from the bad reputation the country holds.

I just booked on the Lirica for April 7th and read that there is a state department warning about Cartagna, Columbia. Does anyone know if the ship still stops there??

Yes, we were there last week! We did the City Tour and I recommend it. The city has a lot to offer -- very rich in history and culture. Our tour guide was great. Never once did I feel in danger. You have the usual local folks trying to sell their wares, but not to the extent you'll feel harrassed. We took a bus and then walked around -- were able to shop as well. I think the people were grateful to have the opportunity to rebuild their reprutation as a safe and friendly tourist spot. Have no worries -- enjoy your cruise!

Archived