What are the best for fee restaurants on the STAR?

kaiiak

I will be sailing on the STAR in May for a very short repositioning cruise. Since the cruise is only 3 nights, I want to make sure I choose the best restaurants for dinner. We like just about everything in terms of food so that doesn't make the decision very easy!! :confused:

This is the first time I've sailed NCL since the 80's, so I am looking forward to the Freestyle concept. We have sailed Princess a few times and LOVE the personal choice, so we figured we would also really enjoy Freestyle.

Thanks!!!

I've been on Norwegian Star, Dawn, and Jewel, and in my opinion, the best of the "pay" restaurants is the Japanese Teppenyaki Restaurant. I believe the extra charge is something like $10-$12 depending upon what you order, and it's worth every penny. However, if you object to paying extra, the main restaurants are excellent. ;)

My favorites on the Star were Le Bistro, Cagney's and Teppanyaki. Le Bistro served a great filet, delicious mushroom soup and marvelous chocolate fondue. Cagney's served excellent steaks. Teppanyaki offered a fun food-preparation show followed by tasty entrees (I had the filet and shrimp combo - I thought the soup, salad and dessert were ok but my fellow diners seemed to enjoy them more than me). Keep in mind - I was on the Star almost two years ago, way before the menus changed.

We were on the Star in April. We ate at Le Bistro and thought it was very good. We ate at the Teppenyaki and thought it was not worth the money. We had lunch at the Sushi bar and for the small fee thought it was good!

Have a wonderful time!

• 2 weeks later...

CruisingfromMN, we enjoyed your pictures so much! We are now booked on two Star cruises...Thanksgiving in an AB with our then 16 year old son (thanks to your wonderful photos!) and then just booked a guarantee mini suite for the repo out of LA May 1st.

Loved your Fanning Island pics...we too took the Star there but in 2004 with our two sons. Had a balcony and an inside cabin across the hall. What a great trip that was! Our favorite specialty restaurants were Soho and Tepanyaki. Our sons liked the Japanese the best (can't remember the name, but it's the one with sushi and tempura). We just loved it all...must say, we never ate in a regular restaurant except breakfast and lunch!!!!

Oh, and hi again, Kaiiak! I just checked in to your roll call thread! ;-)

Food is so subjective. I liked both the main restaurants, I enjoyed Le Bistro, Endless summer was nice. I think I enjoyed my time at Teppenyaki the best not so much for the food (which was good) but because it was more intimate and we got to meet people. That is what we enjoy. While we like freestyle, we still ask to be seated with strangers in the main dining room for lunch and dinner because you get to meet different people.

But that is just us.

snorkbob

Food is so subjective. I liked both the main restaurants, I enjoyed Le Bistro, Endless summer was nice. I think I enjoyed my time at Teppenyaki the best not so much for the food (which was good) but because it was more intimate and we got to meet people. That is what we enjoy. While we like freestyle, we still ask to be seated with strangers in the main dining room for lunch and dinner because you get to meet different people.

But that is just us.

snorkbob

I will be sailing on the STAR in May for a very short repositioning cruise. Since the cruise is only 3 nights, I want to make sure I choose the best restaurants for dinner. We like just about everything in terms of food so that doesn't make the decision very easy!! :confused:

This is the first time I've sailed NCL since the 80's, so I am looking forward to the Freestyle concept. We have sailed Princess a few times and LOVE the personal choice, so we figured we would also really enjoy Freestyle.

Thanks!!!

The best free restaurant on the Star, in my opinion, is La Trattoria. However, I also give very high marks to the bar-bee-que out on deck. Try the chicken.

You can read my review if you like (it is long - about 19 typed pages) by clicking on the link below ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=13327

Archived