Sugar Free cake, muffins, deserts on Dawn

coneygal

We are going to be on the Jan. 28, 2007 WC cruise on the Dawn. When we were on the Dawn in August 2006 the selection of sugar free items was not very good, some were quite bad. Who do we have to see or advise to get some decent ones. Our travel agent had requested them, but, what they served was the pits.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

I'm a diabetic, but I steer clear of anything sugarfree that I didn't make myself, or can't see the ingredients list. Mostly because sugar-free desserts are usually made with maltitol or sorbital or something ending in "itol". Messes with my system big-time. And there's no way of knowing if its lower in calories or fat anyway.

My preference is to just go with a smaller portion of a real dessert, and count it as a carb serving.

Thank you for your suggestion. My husband usually does well with sugar free desert items. He checks his blood and if there is any elevation in the number, he adjusts his diet accordingly. Feels "cheated" if he cannot get a tasty muffin, danish, pie or desert.

There are still available when we were on the Dawn's dec 7th sailing. Sometimes the buffet would not have any. I would ask and they would say no ..none today. I would look for someone and find they did have them. You have to ask.

In the dining room..we could always have sugar free ice cream. DH and I liked Vanilla he best.

Some of the desserts were great and some are awful..just like on land.

I agree somthimes its better to have the real dessert or a small taste than sugar free.

I'm a diabetic, but I steer clear of anything sugarfree that I didn't make myself, or can't see the ingredients list. Mostly because sugar-free desserts are usually made with maltitol or sorbital or something ending in "itol". Messes with my system big-time. And there's no way of knowing if its lower in calories or fat anyway.

My preference is to just go with a smaller portion of a real dessert, and count it as a carb serving.

Where do you get your recipes to make your own sugar free desserts? Thank you

In August, after much complaining, they made him a sugar free apple pie that was not to bad. Should have been available any time on cruise. You are correct, the vanilla sugar free ice cream is very good, he usually put fresh strawberries on it.

Where do you get your recipes to make your own sugar free desserts? Thank you

I mostly make sugar free Jello pudding. But i also have a few recipes that I have altered by using Splenda instead of regular sugar. I found that any fruit-based desserts do well with splenda like apple or cherry pie.

I have tried baking with splenda with no success--muffins, cakes, cookies-- it always tastes funny to me. But the tartness of fruit balances well with splenda in my opinion.

www.splenda.com has several recipes on their website, if you want to try them out.

From what I've read about diabetes and blood sugar problems, the flour in cakes, muffins, and the like is just as bad as any added sugar in terms of spiking your blood sugar levels. It's sort of like putting sugar-free syrup on pancakes. Why eat pancakes in the first place? The pancakes are worse for your blood sugar than the sugar in the syrup.

You are all correct about the items used to make sugar free deserts not being the best, my husband very strictly watches his diet, but, his sweet tooth for desert is his "treat". His numbers are great so I do not hound him about it. Thanks for your answers!

Archived