Travel Agent or web site

FishingAddict

Hey folks- I am about to book a trip on the imagination. My wife and I are going for a trip with some much needed "together" time.

We are going to get a balcony so we can hang out and look at the ocean.

I was going to book the trip on Carnival.com, but I noticed something strange- all the room categorys had a "g" next to it which denoted "gaurenteed state room" with the exception of the balcony suite, which is what we want.

What does that mean?

Should I book thru a travel agent? any advantages?

Any one traveled on the imagination? any comments?

Is the balcony worth the extra $$ (we have it, but I am a cheap Ba#$&*%D)

Thanks!

I personally like to book with a TA. I use one that is right in my area and I like to go in and speak with him face to face. This is just my personal opinion.

We booked a balcony cabin for a couple reasons. 1. I smoke, DH doesn't and he won't let me smoke in the room. 2. For me having a balcony is really nice and it's like having a second room in the cabin. So for me spending the extra $$ on the balcony is definitely worth it. Again, just my opinion.

Imagination is a fantasy class ship. Fantasy class ships only have balconies in suites. they have no other balcony staterooms a design flaw IMO, and the only thing even remotely bad about that class (otherwise i love it!))

It is importatnt to know that while a suite guaranty will save you some money, it will include both cat 11 staterooms and cat 12 staterooms. you cld get either. and chances are very, very good that with only a party of 2, you'll get the cat 11 (b/c cat 11s cannot hold more than 3 people).

you need to look at the deck plan on carnival.com pull up imagination, then follow deck plan links. the cat 12s are primo -- mid-ship upper deck, sandwiched between 2 passenger decks -- nice and quiet. the cat 11s are forward staterooms. don't know if this will bother you. i know this has been the subject of debate, but i am personally, not a big fan of the front of the ship.

my recommendation to you wld be to look at the deck plan and then call carnival, while the deck plan is in front of you, if possible.

BTW, the suites can be quite pricey if you book with an assigned cabin. So, if you are finding them to be too outrageous, you cld always try another class of ship that has many, many balconies (prices will be more reasonable).

and for whatever it's worth, because the suites are so hard to get, i've had many oceanviews, and still had the most wonderful time, despite the lack of balcony. just food for thought...:)

So, if I buy a state room 11 that is not guarenteed, that means that I will get a 11 OR a 12? That would not be too bad considering 12 is an upgrade and both have balconies, correct?

Thanks for the input, this is a great board!

No. Both cat 11s and cat12s have balconies, yes. but if you wanted to get the guaranty rate, you wldn't pay for a cabin assignment, you'd pay a lesser amount. i know, it's confusing the way they use it, but a guaranty does not mean your guaranteed cabin E2391, for example. a guaranty means that you are guaranteed to have a cabin in the category you paid for. Then, as the ship fills and it gets closer to sailing, Carnival will assign the stateroom to you (this cld happen as late as check-in at the pier).

Now, if you get a guaranty suite, you will pay less than you would for a cabin assignment. but you could end up in a forward verandah (?) deck cat 11 or a primo upper deck cat 12. (Cat 11s do not have jacuzzi tubs). if you do not care about being forward and getting that cat 11, then saving money by way of a suite guaranty is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Just to add a little more info to this thread, I would be VERY leary of booking a suite guarantee on a Fantasy class ship. There are some category 11 cabins that have obstructed view from the balcony. I have stayed in a cat. 11 on the Sensation (a Fantasy class ship), and IMHO, I would recommend staying in a minimum balcony cabin on a newer class of ship, and probably pay less money. The Cat. 11 cabin is minimally larger and the balcony was the same size or smaller than a minimum balcony cabin on a Destiny/Triumph class ship. You should weigh all of your options, if taking a 7 night cruise is possible.

I personally like to book with a TA. I use one that is right in my area and I like to go in and speak with him face to face. This is just my personal opinion.

We booked a balcony cabin for a couple reasons. 1. I smoke, DH doesn't and he won't let me smoke in the room. 2. For me having a balcony is really nice and it's like having a second room in the cabin. So for me spending the extra $$ on the balcony is definitely worth it. Again, just my opinion.

I have always found that using a TA is the way to go. In many cases they get you a better price, and if that isn't available, they add some "perks" that make it an attractive deal. Also, if the TA is a good customer of the cruise line, they get quick answers and better service than average.

Just an aside to Sandi149, many cruise lines prohibit smoking on the balcony after the incident with Star Princess earlier this year. I just got back from a Christmas cruise on MSC Lirica and they had a warning posted on the sliding door to the balcony warning not to smoke out on the balcony. ;)

Should I book thru a travel agent? any advantages?

Any one traveled on the imagination? any comments?

Is the balcony worth the extra $$ (we have it, but I am a cheap Ba#$&*%D)

Thanks!

Forget the TA, They are becoming useless.If you read about the screw ups on these boards,there is almost always a TA involved.Book direct with the cruise line, than anytime before final payment is due, contact a TA and get them to offer you a rebate,room credit or other perk and then transfer the reservation to them so there is no real way for them to screw it up.

Steve

I have always found that using a TA is the way to go. In many cases they get you a better price, and if that isn't available, they add some "perks" that make it an attractive deal. Also, if the TA is a good customer of the cruise line, they get quick answers and better service than average.

Just an aside to Sandi149, many cruise lines prohibit smoking on the balcony after the incident with Star Princess earlier this year. I just got back from a Christmas cruise on MSC Lirica and they had a warning posted on the sliding door to the balcony warning not to smoke out on the balcony. ;)

Carnival still allows smoking on balconies

Archived