Wine, Specialty Drink & Coffee Cards

Cruisin'Nurse

Before I order either of these, let me see if I understand this correctly:

The coffee card does cover specialty coffees...not just plain old java?

And, the wine card can/or cannot be used anywhere other than the dining room? :confused: :confused: :confused: I'm thinking of ordering it because there are six of us, three do not drink, so I'm thinking this would be the easiest route if I want a glass of wine with dinner or while in one of the bars or clubs.

HAL is considered a premium cruiseline by some but that reference concerns small flourishes like fresh flowers in public spaces, not free drinks.

In the dining room, if you want wine, cocktails, soda or juice, you will have to pay (with the exception of juice at breakfast). You can elect to carry on wine of your own but they reserve the right to charge you a $35/bottle corkage fee. There is no need to order your drinks before the cruise. The cards being discussed here are meant to be a way for people to save a discount by pre-arranging.

We're onboard the Westerdam now,and the corkage fee (for bringing your own wine to the dining room) is not $35...we were charged $15.

HAL is considered a premium cruiseline by some but that reference concerns small flourishes like fresh flowers in public spaces, not free drinks.

In the dining room, if you want wine, cocktails, soda or juice, you will have to pay (with the exception of juice at breakfast). You can elect to carry on wine of your own but they reserve the right to charge you a $35/bottle corkage fee. There is no need to order your drinks before the cruise. The cards being discussed here are meant to be a way for people to save a discount by pre-arranging.

We're onboard the Westerdam now, and the corkage fee is $15 not $35 for bringing your own wine to the dining room.

Before I order either of these, let me see if I understand this correctly:

The coffee card does cover specialty coffees...not just plain old java?

And, the wine card can/or cannot be used anywhere other than the dining room? :confused: :confused: :confused: I'm thinking of ordering it because there are six of us, three do not drink, so I'm thinking this would be the easiest route if I want a glass of wine with dinner or while in one of the bars or clubs.

The coffee card covers specialty coffees (which are actually free with dinner but not at other times). They also cover the extra shots, syrups or whatever you might like, without the extra fee that would normally be added.

I can't comment on the wine as they weren't pressing folks to buy those cards like the soda and coffee cards so we didn't learn anything about them.

That 15% service charge was a crock our last cruise. Add that to the $5.25 drink, you're paying a shade over $6 a drink, watered down or low grade well liquor. Stick to your own California vino, it makes for great conversation. And the soda card and coffee too.

ken

Question:

what is the cost of a glass of wine that is purchased in the dining room? I am doing a comparison with purchasing a wine card. Using a wine card, the cost of a glass of wine is $3.89 (approx; including gratuity).

Also, does anyone know how many ounces of wine per pouring? I believe 6oz is standard but I may be wrong.

This may seem particular, but I am interested before I purchase a couple of 20 wine pouring cards.

Thanks in advance:)

Question:

what is the cost of a glass of wine that is purchased in the dining room? I am doing a comparison with purchasing a wine card. Using a wine card, the cost of a glass of wine is $3.89 (approx; including gratuity).

Also, does anyone know how many ounces of wine per pouring? I believe 6oz is standard but I may be wrong.

This may seem particular, but I am interested before I purchase a couple of 20 wine pouring cards.

Thanks in advance:)

I'm curious, too, what is the house chardonnay?

We contacted Guest Services about the wine card and which wines would be available. Their response was that the wines could change and be different on each ship and cruise. Food Services could not tell us what would be available on our cruise.

I believe there could still be confusion over the coffee card. I do not believe it is good for specialty coffees like Irish Creams etc. just specialty coffees like lattes and cappuccinos. Could anyone clarify this?

Please help, the suspense is too much....

I know that there is someone on this board that at some point in the very recent past has purchased a glass of house wine in the dining room. Could that person please tell me what they paid for a glass of house wine?:(

We contacted Guest Services about the wine card and which wines would be available. Their response was that the wines could change and be different on each ship and cruise. Food Services could not tell us what would be available on our cruise.

I believe there could still be confusion over the coffee card. I do not believe it is good for specialty coffees like Irish Creams etc. just specialty coffees like lattes and cappuccinos. Could anyone clarify this?

I beleive that the coffee card is good for speciality coffees in the sense of espresso drinks--lattes, capuccino, etc, as opposed to plain coffee. It is definitely not good for speciality coffees in the sense of coffee drinks with alcohol in them.

Yes, the HAL website just says: "This wine card is valid for 10 glasses of house pouring wine which includes Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, White Zinfandel and Sparkling Wine."

We're just back from Westerdam. The coffee card is a good deal as it covers any specialty coffees, including adding extra shots of espresso or flavours.

The signature cocktails are all $6.25 so I still don't know why they are selling the card for the price they are.

We swiped a cocktail menu so I will scan it in and post it in the coming days.

Schplinky,

I would appreciate seeing the cocktail menu as soon as you can scan it in. Also, does the coffee card include a HAL mug? Thanks in advance

The house wine on the Statendam last Nov-Dec. cost $4.75 + 15% - for a total of $9.78 for two glasses. It was very good wine.

Thanks for the info but the math is off a bit. $4.75 + 15% = $5.46 per glass.

If this is correct, then we can conclude that wine purchased via the wine card is cheaper.

Simply, wine purchased with a wine card is $3.89 per glass including tip.

This works out to a savings of about $1.57 per glass. On a 20 pour wine card, you save $31.40.

If this info is correct, the wine card is the way to go in my opinion.:)

This post has lots of good info about wine and drink cards. It is my understanding tha you can also get a champagne card for the champagne bar. Any one know the cost of that card?:confused:

There wasn't a champagne bar on Westerdam. Does HAL feature this on its other ships?

Archived