Spirit-What can you tell me?

silkhair1

We are looking at a Spirit cruise in Feb, 2008. What can you guys tell me about it? There will be 2 kids (4+7) and 6 adults. We have been on the Star and are going on the Dawn the end of January. Please tell me if it is good for kids, good itinery, and a good ship for Freestyle.

Ports of Call: New Orleans, Louisiana| Costa Maya, Mexico | Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico

Thank You!!!!!

I'm sure if you do a search here you'll find plenty of info about the Spirit. We sailed on her for the first time 11/30-12/10 and found her to be very different from other NCL ships -- the decor is Asian, very elegant. A little smaller than the Dawn and Star. No kids with us, but from what we saw of the kids crew club and pool, it looked like the kids will have a blast.

Go to the ports of call section for information about your ports -- and any questions you may have. Looks like a great itinerary though!

Enjoy!

The Norwegian Spirit is just a slightly smaller and earlier than the Star and Dawn. She is not of the same class as the Star and Dawn, but she is a wonderful ship. You'll find her unique too.

Being smaller does mean she won't have a movie theater of a larger ship. While she has plenty of lounges and restaurants to please you, she won't have as many as the larger ships.

Her staterooms are around the same size, maybe a bit smaller, but they are well thought out. About the only thing the Spirit doesn't have are the minisuites the Star and Dawn have.

Happy sailing!

Except for the size of its standard staterooms (tiny, tiny, tiny) I think Spirit is probably my favorite NCL ship, and the first one I'd choose if I were traveling with kids.

No kidding, the kid's center is fantastic. I was on Spirit on its third cruise after being transferred from Star Cruises and on Disney Magic two months later, and Spirit's kid's facilities put Magic to shame! The whole back end is like a children's water park and the interior center is awesome, with ball rooms and tube tunnels and baby rooms and big-kid areas. It's the best. And just below the aft bar are stadium style seats so parents can sit and watch their kids play.

Almost every stateroom is adjoining, too, I was concerned because I had just been on a Carnival ship in an adjoining room and could hear the guy next door scratch his butt. Not on Spirit, can't hear a thing (unless you're below the Lido deck).

While I am not crazy about Asian decor, Spirit has such class and elegance it just won me over. The observation lounge is the best I've ever been in, and the most welcoming. Even the carpet in the lobby looks like a sculpture.

I wrote the original Cruise Critic review and Melissa Baldwin, Cruise Critic Senior Editor, visited the ship after its dry dock and updated it. (boo hoo, it wasn't me) You should look at it, it probably has much of the information you need.

http://cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=299

As for the ports, I don't know what the Guatemala one offers, and I don't know if a four-year-old can cave-tube in Belize (the seven-year-old would have a blast), but Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel is fantastic.

Go for it!

Jana

I second these comments. The Spirit is a wonderful ship. DH and I stayed in a Balcony stateroom, and it was very comfortable for the two of us. The amphitheatre in the stern around the kid's pool is so great you will hang out there even if you don't have kids with you.

Freestyle wise it is also very good. It has two main restaurants, vs the Dawn's three, and also lacks the Salsa restaurant, but other than that it is pretty similar. I think if you do a search and check out the reviews, you will find that most are very positive.

We are looking at a Spirit cruise in Feb, 2008. What can you guys tell me about it? There will be 2 kids (4+7) and 6 adults. We have been on the Star and are going on the Dawn the end of January. Please tell me if it is good for kids, good itinery, and a good ship for Freestyle.

Ports of Call: New Orleans, Louisiana| Costa Maya, Mexico | Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico

Thank You!!!!!

And here's a shot of the Spirit from my office about 15 minutes ago.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nyhartchapp

The Norwegian Spirit is just a slightly smaller and earlier than the Star and Dawn. She is not of the same class as the Star and Dawn, but she is a wonderful ship. You'll find her unique too.

Being smaller does mean she won't have a movie theater of a larger ship. While she has plenty of lounges and restaurants to please you, she won't have as many as the larger ships.

Her staterooms are around the same size, maybe a bit smaller, but they are well thought out. About the only thing the Spirit doesn't have are the minisuites the Star and Dawn have.

Happy sailing!

To add, the Spirit also doesn't have Garden or Courtyard Villa suites that NCL's newest largest ships have.

We sailed on the Spirit in Jan. 2005. Cruise, food, service and entertainment were great. The ship is beautiful. We were upgraded to an owner's suite for a VERY reasonable price. It was nice to have a second bathroom and butler/concierge service.

Drawback: the owner's suite we stayed in was directly below the kid's pool! The pool pump/motor ran all night and we could feel/hear the vibrations throughout our entire sleeping area and bathroom. The only bad thing that happened was there is a window in the very large shower and while I was showering, a deck hand began cleaning the windows and the decks right outside my shower window! Made the start of the day very interesting! LOL

We sailed on the Spirit in Jan. 2005. Cruise, food, service and entertainment were great. The ship is beautiful. We were upgraded to an owner's suite for a VERY reasonable price. It was nice to have a second bathroom and butler/concierge service.

Drawback: the owner's suite we stayed in was directly below the kid's pool! The pool pump/motor ran all night and we could feel/hear the vibrations throughout our entire sleeping area and bathroom. The only bad thing that happened was there is a window in the very large shower and while I was showering, a deck hand began cleaning the windows and the decks right outside my shower window! Made the start of the day very interesting! LOL

• 1 month later...

Pineedles

We just returned from the Spirit on Feb. 2. We were in the middle AD Penthouse under the Kid's pool area. We heard absolutely nothing from the deck above, no pump noise or deck noise. There were some vibrations back there from the ship's propulsion but very manageable, even while we were going nearly full speed. We also found that we didn't notice the pitch as much in the back as we had in a front cabin.

Enjoy your suite. our butler was Dilip and he was fantastic. Lisa, the Con... was fantastic, also.

Kibrothe

Not sure there is anything to avoid in the AD Penthouse. Since they are not on a "main hallway" it was very quiet.

We did have to stuff a wash cloth between the pocket door and the wall one night when the seas were rough to keep it from rattling and eventually closing. Even though the shower has a door rather than a curtain, we somehow had a "flood" on the floor outside the shower stall. From then on we used the tub mat laid up against the door and had no problems.

The AD is like two staterooms combined together. One half is the "dining/bar" area and sitting area with the sliding door to the balcony. There is a love seat sized couch and two lounge chairs in the sitting area. The dining area has a card table sized table with four chairs. There is a cabinet under the bar that you can store things in. There is a refrigerator in the suite.

The other side, seperated by by the pocket door has the bedroom (seemed like a short king-sized bed) with a decent sized closet, five drawers under the cabinet that has a 2nd TV you can watch from bed. The really spacious bath is at the balcony end of this side. There are 2 sinks, a whirlpool tub tht looks out a window to the balcony and the ocean as does the seperate shower. (It really is private but blinds are provided.) There is a seperate toilet stall with a glass door with strategically placed frosting. There is a seperate lighted vanity that includes four small drawers.

I know somewhere in the past year someone posted pictures of the Spirit and included pictures of AD9212. I don't have the link, but it should show up in a search of this sight.

Enjoy your first cruise.

Archived