Danube River Cruise

amd1234

We are taking a Danube River Cruise May 30-June 10 on the new Amalegro being christened sometime early Spring 2007. Anyone taking a Spring River Cruise on the Danube? We are flying to Prague and will end our trip in Budapest. We are still debating on an :rolleyes: extra day or days in Budapest. I will need Hotel recommendations and also what side should we stay? Bud or Pest? We have an organized tour with Amadeus and I am sure we need more time to see Budapest. Please help me decide what to do! Pro & cons..Thanks so much..

We did a Danube cruise in Oct, on the Poetry and loved every minute. Budapest is fantastic. We were at the Sofitel on the river. It's a great place in that you can walk almost everywhere A must do is the Market, Fishermen"s Bastion and the outdoor cafes. You'll have a wonderful time

:) We were on a Grand Circle Danube Cruise in Sept- Oct. Loved Budapest, take extra time if you can. All Eastern Europe was interesting. Eastern part of Danube not so senic. Took extention to Prague,loved it. Food on board ship, very good.

I did not realize it was on the new ship until your post. We are staying an extra day in Budapest. The ship spends one night and we will spend another. We are going to stay at the Four Seasons which we read is an extraordinary building and experience. Can't wait!

Darrell & Peggy

It looked like most of the ship tours were in Buda. That's another reason we decided the Four Seasons in Pest might be good. My wife has done a lot of research and there are also a lot of things to see in Pest. So between the ship tours in Buda and our extra day in Pest we think things should go well.

D2 & PD

We will be starting our river cruise in Budapest in July. I plan to go a day early and have booked 1 night extra at the Marriott Executive Apartments Millennium Court in Budapest. I chose this particular hotel because it is ranked number 1 by tripadvisor and the price was excellent when I booked it through hotels.com.

Isn't Trip Advisor the greatest travel site! I have been checking Hotels and Trip advisor has some great feedback. We are torn between the Sofitel & The Four Seasons. We are only staying one night and even though the Four Seasons is a little steep our children tell us to go for it!!! We only go this way once!!! Thanks....:rolleyes:

I would be totally lost without Tripadvisor. I have used it for a few years and not just for foreign travel but also for info on places right here in the US!!!! I planned a trip to London this last summer for DH and I. It was my first time in Europe on my own without a tour and DH's first time in Europe at all. The trip was fantastic and I got to be the TD.Could not have done it without the help of tripadvisr.

amd1234,

We are on the Amalegro in August. Please keep in touch here and let us know what your experience is like. We go into Prague for two nights first and leave for home from the ship in Budapest. Don't have anymore time.

We are cruising out of Budapest to Trier, Germany third week of June 2007. We spend 2 nights in Budapest pre-tour (Sofitel) and 5 nights post-tour (also Sofitel). Will await your comments with baited breath. Hopefully you can post them before we leave Canada on June 21st!

:rolleyes: I would also love to hear comments on the new Amalegro. We are taking the Ultimate River Cruise - 14 days - leaving Budapest on June 24th. We disembark in Trier, Germany and overland, with a stop in Luxembourg, to Paris. We are pre-cruise in Budapest at the Sofitel for 2 days and post-cruise in Paris, falso at the Sofitel, or 5 days. Hopefully we see some comments posted before we leave Canada on June 21st.

My husband and I will be on this same cruise...its our first River Cruise , but we have been on the larger ships... we are first going to Berlin as our son in in school there for a semester...we will spend 3 days in Berlin before going to Prague... we have arranged for an extra night in Budapest as well .. I have friends who have just gotten back from Budapest and Prague so I am going to ask them for some restaurants, places to go etc. although I will also do my own research... I am not familiar with these boats so I do not know what to expect from Amalegro. What I have read so far though is excellent...I am really looking forward to a different experience! Hope to hear from you ...lets keep in touch. My e-mail is weezle30@yahoo.com ..

Hi. I did this cruise last September, and it was wonderful. As for a hotel in Budapest, it depends on your budget. I stayed at the Domina Fiesta, which was a good location in Pest, large rooms, good breakfast, very helpful management/concierge. I can't remember the exact price, but it was FAR less than the Sofitel and others. Good value for a very decent hotel...email them directly and ask about special prices. If you have trouble finding the website, send me a note and I'll look it up for you. (cruisemuse@yahoo.com) Mary Beth

Hi. I did this cruise last September, and it was wonderful. As for a hotel in Budapest, it depends on your budget. I stayed at the Domina Fiesta, which was a good location in Pest, large rooms, good breakfast, very helpful management/concierge. I can't remember the exact price, but it was FAR less than the Sofitel and others. Good value for a very decent hotel...email them directly and ask about special prices. If you have trouble finding the website, send me a note and I'll look it up for you. (cruisemuse@yahoo.com) Mary Beth

Hello I noticed a view people will be staying at the Sofitel Hotel. On the trip advisor web site someone mentioned the Sofitel Privilege Card and you can apply for it online at the Sofitel web site. Just get their email address and email them directly. This card will give you an upgrade, two drinks, and a late check out. We are booked for one night in Budapest post cruise.:)

I have to agree with WIT - Prague needs more time. We have been to Prague now on 3 occations; after the first time we learnt from a mistake and booked extra nights from then on. And still each time we feel it is not enough. Prague is a great city to walk and explore.

Archived