Athens - from port to airport

Hi Francine,

I think it will take you about 45 minutes - 1 hour (depending on which bus you take from the airport). There is an express which, I think, makes no stops between the airport and the port; there is also one that isn't express and makes stops. The number is 96X (I was there in 2005) and is easily accessible just outside the sliding doors when you walk out the airport. It's a nice, modern airport and there are information booths and people speak English, so ask for assistance if you need it!

Cost of the bus ticket was 2.90Euro (not sure what it is now).

Another thing to remember is the port is quite large and you may need to inquire about which stop to get off at, since there are ships everywhere - some that travel within Greece to the islands, and others that travel throughout Europe. Don't get off at the wrong stop; otherwise, you may have a long walk ahead of you!

Hope this information helps and good luck!

Hi again Francine,

Oops, I just reread your post, so sorry about the previous response. Look for the express bus to the airport (there will be many running) and it will take you straight to the airport. Generally, the buses also have a plane, along with the route # to indicate where it's going to help tourists.

I went to the Athens airport from Piraeus by taxi... it took about 35/40 minutes. I didn't pay the fare (someone else picked it up for me), but i remember seeing the meter running ... remember it being a little pricey... i could put a number to it, but i'd totally be guessing. (if you're interested in what i'd guess - €75 - but again, totally a guess)

Hi Francine,

Glad I can help. I do have the number of a taxi cab driver. I know that he usually meets his customers at the airport, but not sure if he meets them at the port. I used him a few times, and so have some relatives in Greece and he's really nice.

Again, I don't know what the price would be, but 75euro might be about right and that's a lot of money when you think about it.

On the 96X buses, there is room in the middle of the bus for you to place your luggage and since you'll be going directly to the airport, you won't have to worry about it until you get there. Price wise, the bus is your best bet. Unfortunately, taxi cab drivers in Greece are notorious for taking advantage of tourists, taking them the "long way" etc. although they've been cracking down on that and they can lose their licences if they are reported. If you do decide to take a taxi to the airport and notice the price is over 100euro, you immediately find airport security/police (make sure you take your luggage with you and refuse to pay the driver until you get your issue resolved.)

Hope this info helps!

• 1 month later...
Hi again Francine,

Oops, I just reread your post, so sorry about the previous response. Look for the express bus to the airport (there will be many running) and it will take you straight to the airport. Generally, the buses also have a plane, along with the route # to indicate where it's going to help tourists.

Does anyone know where the cruise ships dock? Where do you catch the X96 to the airport from the port terminal, and how far is the bus stop? Could you please give me the name of stop to board. Thank you for your help in advance.

Hi Francine,

Again, I don't know what the price would be, but 75euro might be about right and that's a lot of money when you think about it.

On the 96X buses, there is room in the middle of the bus for you to place your luggage and since you'll be going directly to the airport, you won't have to worry about it until you get there. Price wise, the bus is your best bet. Unfortunately, taxi cab drivers in Greece are notorious for taking advantage of tourists, taking them the "long way" etc. although they've been cracking down on that and they can lose their licences if they are reported. If you do decide to take a taxi to the airport and notice the price is over 100euro, you immediately find airport security/police (make sure you take your luggage with you and refuse to pay the driver until you get your issue resolved.)

Hope this info helps!

Thanks for that info, I think we will be taking the good old 96X to the port!

• 5 months later...

Arrived in Piraeus Mon. May 7, 07 at 3:25 am, walked off the ship at 5:25. Got into one of the waiting taxis and arrived at the airport at 6 am. Our driver didn’t take any prisoners and must have been blind, because he ignored most traffic signs and speed limits. But he certainly knew how to drive. I believe we paid 30 Euros. More than that, and I would still feel the pain.

Archived