Taxi Cab Situation is Terrible

atlasali

This is a recommendation to the shop owners of St. Thomas...

Make some changes to the taxi cab situation or you will lose paying customers.

Based upon my experiences on December 28, 2006 at the Crown Bay dock; I will either find the independent cabs, or take a ship's excursion, or stay on the ship next time my cruise goes to St. Thomas.

1) We were treated like cattle. Herded into pen-like taxi's. Then forced to wait until the taxi was full before it would move. Drivers were rude.

2) We were driven out of our way (twice) to drop off other passengers.

3) We were told to get off of one cab and to get on another.

4) We had difficulty crossing the street in the shop area because the street was full of taxis whose drivers were yelling, "To the ship?"

It was a sad state of affairs for you, that our family of 3 adults paid more dollars in taxi cab fares than we spent in your shops!!!!

Go visit Phillipsburg, St. Maarten. See how easy and pleasant the taxicab ride to Orient Beach is. Our driver pointed out sights and answered questions on the drive. She asked what time we would like to be picked up. She gave us her name and taxi number. She was waiting for us at the time. When the one couple did not show up, she made arrangements for another driver to take them if they showed up later. Then without waiting for a full load, she drove just the 3 of us to the town. She got a nice tip from us. In Phillipsburg, the main street is practically a pedestrian mall. Calm, easy. We spent lots of money in several shops there!

St. Thomas needs to take some lessons from St. Maarten.

Hello,

How about writing a letter to the Taxicab Division with your thoughts and suggestions?

VI Taxicab Division

Dept. of Licensing & Consumer Affairs

Prop. & Procurement Bldg.

1 Sub Base, Rm 205

St. Thomas, VI 00802

or if you want to call (340)774-3130. (you may have to ask for the VI Taxicab Division)

--Islander

We've just returned from our ten day cruise on the Sun. After clearing customs we left the ship, and headed for the gates. Once outside the gates, we were able to find a very helpful, courteous and friendly taxi driver. I had read earlier posts about the drivers inside the gates at Crown Bay. It was intense and people were herded in to the open air buses/taxis. We passed many on the side of the road where they pull over to take your fare. We happily waved as we proceeded on our way. Walk outside the gates and catch your cab......it is much more pleasent and I suspect if everyone does this, the uncomfortable herding situation inside the gates will cease.

Archived