Opinions re: Halloween costumes on formal night

Reyes28

Okay, I know this is a potentially touchy subject, but I really would like your honest opinions here - we'll be on the Century sailing Oct. 30, and Halloween falls on our first formal night. Celebrity tells us there will be some sort of masquerade party and DH & I would definitely like to dress up for that. So...my question is, would it be inappropriate for us to wear our costumes at dinner that night? (If it helps, we'll be wearing fancy "historical dress" type costumes). Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

There were quite a few - Late seating didn't have as many as early seating. I think there were a greater number of Europeans that do not celebrate Halloween on a transatlantic. The costumes ranged from the simple mask to a complex with wigs, makeup, etc. Hubby and I went as Caesar and Cleopatra (I had a black wig to complete the costume so a lot of people didn't recognize me) and we made the finals of the costume contest. The winners were a couple in a blow-up chicken and farmer costume (similar to those outdoor decorations that have a blower to inlfate them).

Reyes28..... I think that as long as your costume was of a formal attire...that it would be just fine in the dining room..... on formal night.

If I was in there...in my formal attire....and you were in a clown costume...that might be different.

;)

i haven't been on celebrity for halloween but i have been on princess 3 times. It has fallen on formal night. The cruiseline stated formal or costumes acceptable. It was a lot of fun and i suggest bringing them. Seeing clowns and tuxedos was hysterical!!!

Also we brought "stuff" to dress up our room and door! We had a big blow-up Frankenstein hanging on the outside door. Couldn't miss our room!!! People would laugh and comment...thats great!

After all... aren't we all just "BIG KIDS"?

have fun!

*sweet*

I was on a carnival cruise over Halloween. It was a formal night and most people dressed that way for dinner. After dinner, a lot of people changed in to costumes. There was a Halloween party in the nightclub and it was a lot of fun.

Reyes, I don't think there would be anything wrong in wearing your costumes for dinner. That is the theme of the eveining afterall. If I were at your dinner table in my formal wear and you showed up in your costume, my thought would be that why didn't I think of doing that. :)

Boo's Mom - no worries about my showing up in a clown costume; I've always been scared of clowns, so you'll never find me dressing like one! ;-)

sweetair - DH & I are definitely "Big Kids" - after all, why should the real kids get to have all the fun?

Thanks to all for your input! This is our first Celebrity cruise and we want to make the most of it.

We were on for Halloween once, and it was, as mentioned above, "Costume or [insert dress code here]" Obviously, since you need to pack it to the ship and back, large & cumbersome costumes are a poor choice, but beyond that, the sky's the limit - though I would restrict it to G-rated costumes, notwithstanding the clothing police... ;)

Neal: love the penguin idea! I would suggest it to DH, but then I'd have to listen to him complaining all night: "How am I supposed to drink when I'm wearing this danged penguin head?" ;-)

Neal: love the penguin idea! I would suggest it to DH, but then I'd have to listen to him complaining all night: "How am I supposed to drink when I'm wearing this danged penguin head?" ;-)

A long straw in the beak! (And he can probably take a few sips from everybody else's drink while they are not looking!) :)

Hmmm...built-in drink reservoir or long straw...both excellent ideas.

Of course, DH's solution to the whole costume dilemma: "I know, I'll just dress up as a tourist, then I'll be required to have a boat drink in hand the whole time - I mean, hey, it's part of the costume, right?"

Gosh, I guess I can't argue with THAT logic! :)

Hmmm...built-in drink reservoir or long straw...both excellent ideas.

Of course, DH's solution to the whole costume dilemma: "I know, I'll just dress up as a tourist, then I'll be required to have a boat drink in hand the whole time - I mean, hey, it's part of the costume, right?"

Gosh, I guess I can't argue with THAT logic! :)

And the sunglasses, straw hat, flip-flops, shorts, and colorful shirt. Perfect! Only, would it be a costume if it is normal attire? :rolleyes:

And the sunglasses, straw hat, flip-flops, shorts, and colorful shirt. Perfect! Only, would it be a costume if it is normal attire? :rolleyes:

And then the question becomes, would DH be barred from the dining room in said attire, despite his protests that it WAS, in fact, his "costume"? Hmmm...

By the way, Neal - love your Century website! It's helping us to live vicariously until October... :)

And then the question becomes, would DH be barred from the dining room in said attire, despite his protests that it WAS, in fact, his "costume"? Hmmm...

By the way, Neal - love your Century website! It's helping us to live vicariously until October... :)

Got some more stuff coming!

Archived