St. John's - Newfoundland - Any Questions?

vav

Hey everyone,

I live in St. John's (Newfoundland - NOT St. John, New Brunswick)and we are starting to get more and more cruise ship travel every year.

If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

Andrew

• 11 months later...

Hi Andrew,

My post just disappeared, so I will try again.

I will be making a brief visit to St John's on Oct 4th when the Star Princess docks there.

What weather conditions might I expect at that time of year? ... Rain, ice, snow, wind? I am disabled and ride a scooter or use crutches to get around. I have difficulty with stairs and can only walk short distances.

I am wondering what is around the dock area that I would be able to do on my own with my scooter? How close are the churches, government buildings, Geo Center, Ocean Science Center, arts and crafts gallery and The Rooms to the dock? I understand St John's is very hilly and am guessing that almost everything is near the coast. Cape Spear and Signal Hill being the exceptions and possibly Fort Amherst? Is there any way around the 100 or so steps at Cape Spear? Such as a service road that I might be able to ride my scooter on? How many floors in the Lighthouse are open to the public? What can you tell me about the accessiblity at Signal Hill and Cabot Tower? Will I find obstacles there?

Do you know of a web site that has a city map with attractions flagged?

Is fishing the main industry here? Or? How do you spend you time here?

What, in your opinion, would you think that I would be best off trying to take in? What memories should I be taking away from you city?

Thank you for any insite that you can give me.

Rascal Rider Ruth

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

I live in St. John's (Newfoundland - NOT St. John, New Brunswick)and we are starting to get more and more cruise ship travel every year.

If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

Andrew

Can you suggest any tour companies for a day tour of the area in and around St. John's?

• 3 weeks later...

I always wanted to visit Newfoundland but can never find any cruises that go there. The few ships that do only dock for 4-5 hours. Even considered flying in but that is not that simple. No direct flights.

Hello Andrew:

We arrive in St John's on Tuesday 6 Sep 05 on the Silver Whisper. Will be there from 8am-6pm. Any suggestions for setting up our own tour of area rather than ship excursions - or is it better to rent a car? What is cost of car rental? Is International Drivers license needed?

Did wish to visit Viking site at L'Anse Aux Meadows but Silversea said would have to charter a private jet. To do that through them the price is quite high! Is it best to drive up there on a separate visit??

Appreciate your help.

Kewlguy,

The RCCL Enchantment of the Seas departs Quebec City on Oct 2, 2005. On Oct 4, we will be in Cornerbrook Newfoundland from noon until 9:00pm. Join us if you can.... last I checked the ship was already sold out. Final deposits are due in July, so cabins may open up then for people who are holding cabins but cancel at final payment.

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping to hear from VAV in reply to all the good questions posted about St. John's. We will be there on July 19 and Cornerbrook on Aug. 17, St. Anthony Aug. 16. Weather for those days?

What do you suggest for two active walkers Like historical things and nature.

Not shoppers. Do not like ship's tours.

How do we get to L'Anse aux Meadows from the port in St. Anthony? By public transportation or only taxi?

From Cornerbrook, is there public trans. to the Leif Erikson settlement?

If you can provide this information, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Joanne,

I also live in Newfoundland, in a city right next to St. John's. In fact, I work in St. John's. Start by typing in "Newfoundland Tourism" in any seach engine. It should be a good place to start....as well, in the coming days I will try to post answers to your questions as time permits....you can also e-mail me at tmenchions@nl.rogers.com I hope this helps you get started!!!

Talk to you all soon.

NL Cruisers:)

sable 1 and Edaway - there is a great trail in St. John's around signal hill ----the hill overlooks the narrows as you enter the harbour. You can get a cheap cab ride up to signal hill and walk the trail for free. You can also see the signal hill tattoo; it is a re-enactment of a british company of soldiers shooting muskets. I will try and find the times and post them.

Here it is, site for the Signal hill tattoo

http://www.cdli.ca/Tattoo/

There is also a tourist kiosk right on the waterfront that has lots of info...it is a small waterfront; you CANNOT miss it!!

There is no public transportation from St. Anthony to Lanse aux Meadows that I am aware of, but there should be reasonably priced taxis to there. It is an international historic site that is really well done.

Unless you are staying a couple of nights in Corner Brook, it takes many hours of bus rides to get to the Leif Erikson settlement. The Leif Erikson settlement IS Lanse Aux Meadows, so you can only see it in your stop in St. Anthony.

Hope this helps !!

Sincerely,

NL Cruisers:)

Thank you for the link for the Tattoo. Unfortunately, our ship docks on a Tues. which isn't one of the days the Tattoo is performed.

We are really looking forward to our stops in Newfoundland.

Joanne

Taylor,

We are on the Enchantment of the Seas leaving Oct 2. We leave from Quebec City, Quebec. Day one is cruising the Saganay River. Day 2 is in Cornerbrook Newfoundland from noon until 9pm. Day 3 is at sea. Day 4 is in Boston and then 2 days at sea. We depart in Fort Lauderdale. A cruise made in heaven for me as I've cruised enough that I'm looking for new itineraries, but have family in Florida, so try to start or end a cruise there so I can combine vacation time (aka cruising!!) with visits to family. I'd love to tell you to join us, but the ship is currently sold out!!! Final payments are due in mid-July, so if you are interested, watch for it then when some people may cancel.

• 2 weeks later...

Continental has a direct flight (5 days/week) from Newark to St. John's

I always wanted to visit Newfoundland but can never find any cruises that go there. The few ships that do only dock for 4-5 hours. Even considered flying in but that is not that simple. No direct flights.

L'Anse Aux Meadows is a real long drive from St. John's, on the opposite end of the Province ... at least 10+ hours drive. An international drivers' licence is NOT required

If you wanted to rent a car, I would suggest going to Cape Spear (15-20 minutes from the Port), or Brigus (less than an hour), or Bay Bulls/Witless Bay (less than an hour). There are several whale watching tours and sea kayaking tours in the Bay Bulls/Witless bay area.

Hello Andrew:

We arrive in St John's on Tuesday 6 Sep 05 on the Silver Whisper. Will be there from 8am-6pm. Any suggestions for setting up our own tour of area rather than ship excursions - or is it better to rent a car? What is cost of car rental? Is International Drivers license needed?

Did wish to visit Viking site at L'Anse Aux Meadows but Silversea said would have to charter a private jet. To do that through them the price is quite high! Is it best to drive up there on a separate visit??

Appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course you can take the Transatlantic Cruise...from Copenhagen, which stops in England, Ireland, Iceland, Greenland, New Foundland, and disembarks in NY.

The one for this Sept is sold out...but they care booking for Sept. 2006.

I am booked already and so looking forward to it. Great way to get a preview of places you could not afford to go seperately to.

Good luck, and have fun planning...Sue

• 2 weeks later...

I am originaly from St.John's, but now live in Western Canada.

Lanse Aux Meadows is certainly out of the question from St. John's. or Corner Brook. Slightly possible from St Anthony.

In St.John's i would highly recomend a vist to Signal Hill, where Marconi sent his first wireless Transatlanic Message, look way up from the ships right hand side as you enter the port.

There are several tour boats operating out of the harbour, i would recomend "The Scademia" Say hello to Bosun the Newfoundland dog, onboard.

I have a painting in my house of St. Johns Harbour. In the painting i can count 5 churches. DO not miss "The Basilica"(spelling). Story has it that many years ago ship entering the harbour would line the ship with a light near the water and a light near this church to bring them to safety. There is a statue at this church that was brought as a gift from the white fleet fisherman of Spain.

I would also recomend a tour trip to Cape Spear, which is the most Eastern point in North America. About 15 minutes before you arrive at St John's you will see the light house on the Left side of the ship.

The ship docks at the harbour front which is also a city street, one block "up" is water street, this street is lined with shops and restaurants. St. John's is the oldest city in North America, so imagine the architecture in Donwtown St. John's.

I have cruised the Caribean and West side of Mexico. I have never felt 100% safe in any port. Not a worry in St. John's, walk freely and enjoy.

St. John's is becoming and oil and gas city with rich ties to the fishery. The economy is blessed by a cruise ship visiting, but no one will starve if the ship did not stop there. Unlike most places i have visited.

St.John's is truly a beautiful City, Enjoy your visit.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived