Houston? I have a question . . . .

LittleBit

Not quite cruise related, but maybe I'll fall in love with the port...

I'll be in Houston the end of the month for a conference and looking for some suggestions...

I'm flying into Hobby either Sun night or Mon afternoon and leaving probably mid day Sat.

any thoughts on what to do? am I better coming in Sun and having all day Mon to play? And what are the "best' places to see, given limited time and very limited budget??

I'm not big into sports, I'm more into culture (performing arts, music) and nature - give me a 4 mile hike with a beautiful view and I'm a happy girl...

oops - part 2:

Any thoughts on whether Hobby (flying JetBlue) or IAH (I assume that's Bush International?) flying Continental is better? I'm staying at the Hilton Americas-Houston

Can you get to downtown Houston or the Reliant Stadium area? If so, I would suggest taking a tour on the "light rail" that runs from Reliant Park to downtown Houston and back. There are several stations along the way stopping at the museum district, theatre district, hospital district, midtown, entertainemnt district downtown. I think you can still purchase a day pass for $2.00, if not then it would be would be $2.00 each way.

You can do a google search for Houston Metro or Metro Houston. and their website will have the information.

Can you get to downtown Houston or the Reliant Stadium area? If so, I would suggest taking a tour on the "light rail" that runs from Reliant Park to downtown Houston and back. There are several stations along the way stopping at the museum district, theatre district, hospital district, midtown, entertainemnt district downtown. I think you can still purchase a day pass for $2.00, if not then it would be would be $2.00 each way.

Great suggestion for someone who enjoys the cultures. The museum district includes a fabulous Museum of Natural Science, The Art Museum, the Children's Art Museum, and manyothers. In the museum district you also have a great park and the zoo.

Also downtown you have the Heritage Society with 8 historic homes.

Here's a link to the Visitors Bureau where you can read a little more.http://www.visithoustontexas.com/visitors/ The site also includes maps for the various areas.

Houston actually has quite a bit to offer in the way of the arts, so I would suggest you give yourself that extra day.

Thanks for your suggestions...

I have booked my flights, and I've managed to get all Monday, Fri early evening/night, and Saturday morning for play time. Yes, I have to fly in/out of Bush Int'l, but the shuttle is not too bad and it's worth it for the extra 7 hours I get to spend playing.

So I figure I HAVE to go to the space center, and there's a Zydeco Festival on Fri night that I definately want to go to, and there are several parks tht I may try to get to...

any recommendations for food I GOTTA eat (in Florida, you eat gator; in Maryland, you eat crab cakes, in Maine you eat lobster; in Houston you eat???), or places I HAVE to go?

In Houston you eat Mexican, BBQ, or, as my French son-in-law says, Big Beef (steak). In Galveston you eat shrimp.

And if you're going to NASA, then you'll be literally down the street from our favorite Mexican restaurant, Mamacita's.

Is Mamacita's walkable from NASA?

I think I can get a ride to/from the space center, but don't think I can get a short hop down the street (unless I find someone with a car who wants to go...)

and I must be brain dead - of course if I'm in Texas, I have to have BEEF & Tex-Mex... sometimes I amaze myself....(how do I get that slap on the head icon????)

I'd say it's probably a couple of miles down the road, but I don't think there's sidewalk all the way, and some construction, so it may not be a choice walk. Depending on yoru timing, you may even be able to talk me into picking you up and showing a Yank around our favorite mexican place. Of course, another option, is a taxi.

and I must be brain dead - of course if I'm in Texas, I have to have BEEF & Tex-Mex... sometimes I amaze myself....(how do I get that slap on the head icon????)

And seafood! You'll only be a short distance (not walking) from the Kemah Boardwalk as well which has several places to choose from (seafood, mex, etc).

• 4 weeks later...

Marl a-

Sorry we couldn't meet up - next time I guess!

Couldn't get out to Kemah Boardwalk and we did pass Mamacita's - looked good - add both thsoe to the "next time" list!

Got to the Space Center and had fun

ate at some great places in downtown - Poppa's BBQ, Ninfa's, Strip House, Ibeziah, Thelma's BBQ....

Had a chance to vist most the theatres (it was a venue management conference after all!), but missed out on the Toyota Center and Minute Maid Park...

Got to 2 clubs - Venue and Warehouse - what a blast.

And the aquarium was fun too.

Even went to the Bush Monument!

Thansk all for your suggestions!

Downtown Houston was interesting - all those big buildings and no people!

Very distracting for a NewYorkerGirl!

Archived