Flowrider Question

ncjeff

No charge for using the Flowrider® or the ice skating rink, nor is there a charge for the ice skates. I don't know that, aside from a quick explanation of how to stay on the surfboard, there are any actual lessons offered.

No, there is no charge for any of that. Also, they do not have lessons. Pretty much it is just a quick "here is what you do" and as soon as you fall, you are done and have to get back in line. I saw people wait for quite a long time in line, and then they fell within the 1st 2 seconds and had to get back in line. The boogie boarding looked easier and people stayed on longer.

You will enjoy the Flowrider, I did and here are some tips.

Get a pass at the "Surf Shack" that requires a waiver for injury.

Watch carefully people about your size and weight. I am 6' and change, and about 200 pounds. Many my size jump from the top with the bodyboard and never stop their forward progress. As a result you must then push off the bottom rail. Unless you push yourself in a straight line you can bank on getting dumped.

I eased in the water from the top, and slid over carefully using my legs as a crude form of rudder. Worked like magic. Then use the rocker of the board to move up and down in the flow. You use edge left or right to move from side to side. If you've ever surfed the feeling is like just before you stand up on the board. I managed to get a couple of great rides for a 48 year old man that grew up surfing along the gulf coast.

Understand that I was on one of the two day cruises to nowhere and the entire water area was open for the ride. I understand now they put a divider in the middle to increase the number of riders in a session.

When the staff does the surfboard demonstrations it's a sure bet that those at the bottom and sides are going to get sprayed with the water when they make their cuts.

I had visions of thirty years ago along the 53rd street jetty in Galveston with a 6' 6" South Shore swallow tail surfboard strapped to the top of the 1970 Buick Stage I complete white vinyl buckets and a 455 guzzling premium fuel.

This is one amazing invention, and the fact that it's aboard a cruise ship even made it more fun for me.

Fitz,

Where have you been, darlin? That birthday cruise is coming up fast! Wish I had the vacation time and $$ to head out to CA and join you all...it's going to be a blast!!

Okay, back to your regularly schedule programming, all! I've been on FR twice now, and have yet to try the Flowrider. It's not for lack of wanting to, just how quickly time flies doing other fun stuff. LOL

T

Archived